Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
LGG

Lights Under Top-hung Kitchen Cabinet

For lights under top-hung kitchen cabinet, is it better to install one fluorescent tube or a small round little downlight? To illuminate a small area at the table top?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I installed flourescent tube as well. Lower voltage, easy installation and removal, economical and gives the effect i want.

We wanted suspended kitchen cabinets and lights underneath as well but ID say dun waste money, after a while, won't use liao. So build normal cabinets, more storage space.

TYM, i agree with you normal cabinets give more storage space.

But i chose suspended bcos, easier to sweep/wash my kitchen, won't wet my cabinets. Also if the floor trap in the kitchen overflow or stuck (once at my mum's place), water was flowing out of the trap and wet the whole cabinet.

Had a hard time cleaning and making sure they are dry. So pros & cons with suspended cabinets. Lighting below cabinet is optional. Not necessary to have lightings.

We had it just for design purpose bcos our kitchen flooring has stainless steel strips and gives nice effect with lighting shine on it at night. We use it at night light in kitchen especially when we have our parents staying over. Else most of the time never turn it on.

To install a T5 fluorescent tube under top-hung kitchen cabinet, does my contractor have to do a pelmet or let the T5 be exposed?

To install a T5 fluorescent tube under top-hung kitchen cabinet, does my contractor have to do a pelmet or let the T5 be exposed?

Better hide with pelmet else mayb too bright when whole tube exposed:P

u can either get from IKEA those nice nice boxed up T5 tubes then no need pelmet. Or do pelmet with exposed T5.

Err. make upper cabinet doors longer (drop lower) by 1 inch to hide the T5 lor. Looks so much neater. Can also make them higher (extend upwards) by 1 inch to give that difused lighting look.

These type of lights is for show one lah. When got guests, or photoshoot, it looks so much nicer as no shadow spots. Whether use daily.. is depend on how fussy the auntie using the kitchen is lor.

I'm quite afraid of halogen spotlights, I've had them explode before (luckily no one was injured).

I've read somewhere that LED spotlights are good because they cast light in one direction + cold. Basically environmentally friendly and easy on the elec. bill as well...

My current place is using those halogen lights for the areas at the kitchen cabinet. But the switch is near the hob and hood and not at the entrance to the kitchen. Therefore, it is a white elephant.

For my new place, I still want to have T5 lights beneath the top cabinet. But to prevent it from being a white elephant, I ask my ID to do the switch at the entrance of the kitchen together with kitchen ceiling lights, so I can switch it on when entering the kitchen.