Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kyarx

Tiling Benchmark

Recently just had an arguement with my tiler. :curse: We found at least 6 tiles layed in the kitchen which can be quite edgy on the sides. So we told him to change it as it may cut our feets. But he was very insistent that this is a problem of the tiles and not his workmanship...only willing to change one piece.

How do we benchmark or quality check on tiling work? How do we tell if the problem is indeed due to the tiles and not his workmanship? Can the edges be filed or sand smooth?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

use the edge of a ruler to prove if the tile is totally flat. First thing first, withhold payment.

but kitchen tiles needs to be built in such a way that it is a gentle slope that draws water towards the trap.

if the edge is filed, it'll be like the base of a porceline cup, rather rough, if u get what I mean.

Where got tiles got sharp edges 1? Only Homogenous n slate tiles might have tis prob due to its 45 degrees chamfered profile... If worksmanship is poor or material is uneven, only edges of the tiles might pop up abit causing the so call sharp edge...

Maybe u should review tis wif ur contractor instead asking the workers...

(Kitchen floor tiles is usually 300 - 330mm, its consider small to guage for its uneveness, worksmanship applies here...)

Where got tiles got sharp edges 1? Only Homogenous n slate tiles might have tis prob due to its 45 degrees chamfered profile... If worksmanship is poor or material is uneven, only edges of the tiles might pop up abit causing the so call sharp edge...

Maybe u should review tis wif ur contractor instead asking the workers...

(Kitchen floor tiles is usually 300 - 330mm, its consider small to guage for its uneveness, worksmanship applies here...)

Interesting fight seem to be. Talk to your contractor and he may be wiling to absorb the rework may be...although it will cause say $200 to him.

Latest update. The tiles were sanded and its much better now. The workman supervisior still insistent that the edges is not due to poor workmanship. A long debate ended with him agreeing very... reluntantly to replace 3 more of the tiles. 8|

Latest update. The tiles were sanded and its much better now. The workman supervisior still insistent that the edges is not due to poor workmanship. A long debate ended with him agreeing very... reluntantly to replace 3 more of the tiles. 8|

To be honest, I myself find it hard to ascertain quality of tiles. Have inspected tiles with variations coming from 4 sides. The norm for deviation of tiles are 2 sides < 3mm.. I recall 1 HDB project used indonesian tiles, had 3 or 4 sides deviates by 3mm... (297 x 298 x 301 x 303) It is due diligence of the tiler/contractor to inspect, sort and dry lay to see how best/worse the effect will be. Before the actual. In the end, change the whole batch of tiles. But in the case of ID industry... do liao chase for $. Take and go. Anything, later will take time to rectify.

IMHO, alignment, consistency of gaps, evenness on the whole and chamfered edges are to look out for. Reflection of tiles can clearly tell u if the tiles are even and aligned.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Jester28

To be honest, I myself find it hard to ascertain quality of tiles. Have inspected tiles with variations coming from 4 ends. The norm for deviation of tiles are 2 sides < 3mm.. I recall 1 HDB project used indonesian tiles, had 3 or 4 sides deviates by 3mm... (297 x 298 x 301 x 303) It become due diligence of the tiler/contractor to inspect, sort and dry lay to see how best/worse the effect will be. In the end, change the whole batch of tiles.

IMHO, alignment, consistency of gaps, evenness on the whole and chamfered edges are to look out for. Reflection of tiles can clearly tell u if the tiles are even and aligned.

Hope that helps.

Pls delete.. Duplicate

Edited by Jester28

Some tiles that come from the factory are already warped.

These tiles should not be used if the warp is too much.

In the case where the tiles laid have sharp edges, its hard to dertermin if its the tiles or the workmanship. or maybe both.

Whatever the case, these kind of tiles and workmanship should not be acceptable.

But those very slight should be ok. as it is not totally avoidable.

How much is acceptable is very subjective. depends on circumstances and situation.

Cheers