Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
AshRinz

Home Theatre System Advice

Hi all,

I love watching movies. And listening to my iPod too. And playing PS3 games.

I had actually decided on the off-the-shelf HTS from Panasonic Model SC-PT865 mainly due to its Viera link with my Panasonic Plasma and rear wireless speaker capable also and iPod dock built-in. But after reading a few thread on HTS, I'm now contemplating to venture beyond the off-the-shelf units.

Ok, here's my considerations. Hopefully I can get some help before my false ceiling is up.

Budget wise, quite flexi $2-3K but hopefully dun have to break the bank account :)

1. I'd prefer small but yet powerful speakers.

2. Prefer wireless for rear so that I can have option to move them around in future.

3. Capability for future upgrades for the amp to support better speakers in future.

This is what I have in mind.

1. The Yamaha RX-V663 -> How much?

2. What speakers being small but still powerful enough for watching movies that can be coupled with the Yamaha?

3. Should I get wireless speakers for rear surround or wired ones?

4. Anything else i need to know about the above items? Like additional items for them to work flawlessly?

Thank you very much.

Edited by AshRinz

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi all,

I love watching movies. And listening to my iPod too. And playing PS3 games.

I had actually decided on the off-the-shelf HTS from Panasonic Model SC-PT865 mainly due to its Viera link with my Panasonic Plasma and rear wireless speaker capable also and iPod dock built-in. But after reading a few thread on HTS, I'm now contemplating to venture beyond the off-the-shelf units.

Ok, here's my considerations. Hopefully I can get some help before my false ceiling is up.

Budget wise, quite flexi $2-3K but hopefully dun have to break the bank account :)

1. I'd prefer small but yet powerful speakers.

2. Prefer wireless for rear so that I can have option to move them around in future.

3. Capability for future upgrades for the amp to support better speakers in future.

This is what I have in mind.

1. The Yamaha RX-V663 -> How much?

2. What speakers being small but still powerful enough for watching movies that can be coupled with the Yamaha?

3. Should I get wireless speakers for rear surround or wired ones?

4. Anything else i need to know about the above items? Like additional items for them to work flawlessly?

Thank you very much.

Hi

Let me help the best I can.

Yamaha 663 is a **** good amp. Highly recommended. It has Audio PLUS Full HD Video upscaling. In fact, i bought this amp earlier before I upgraded to a Yammy 863. Price wise i think its better u get a bundled deal from KEC ie meaning u get a proper 5.1 HTS with this amp.

You'll be spoiled for choices for satellite speakers. There's DefTech, MS Genie, Tannoy etc & its all within your $2-3K budget. Do go down to KEC for a demo & recommendation.

personally I would recommend to use a WIRED rear/surround speakers. The wireless set up is only good for weak speakers. A good rear speaker would required better cabling as opposed to wireless.

Other things needed is a good subwoofer & better cables & a good DVD or Bluray player.

Cheers

Vince

Hi

Yamaha 663 is a **** good amp. Highly recommended. It has Audio PLUS Full HD Video upscaling. In fact, i bought this amp earlier before I upgraded to a Yammy 863. Price wise i think its better u get a bundled deal from KEC ie meaning u get a proper 5.1 HTS with this amp.

You'll be spoiled for choices for satellite speakers. There's DefTech, MS Genie, Tannoy etc & its all within your $2-3K budget. Do go down to KEC for a demo & recommendation.

personally I would recommend to use a WIRED rear/surround speakers. The wireless set up is only good for weak speakers. A good rear speaker would required better cabling as opposed to wireless.

Other things needed is a good subwoofer & better cables & a good DVD or Bluray player.

Cheers

Vince

Thanx Vince for the infos. I didn;t know there's a Yammy 863. How much does it cost?

Hi

Cheers

Vince

Hi,

Just to share....I Did my home system (first house 6yrs ago) with KEC...good and patience service (forget the manager name)...highly recommend their service and products reco. not too expensive. I took up yamaha amp and speakers with projector for my TV (house too small to have tv console...very satisfied....

Cheers

Hi,

Just to share....I Did my home system (first house 6yrs ago) with KEC...good and patience service (forget the manager name)...highly recommend their service and products reco. not too expensive. I took up yamaha amp and speakers with projector for my TV (house too small to have tv console...very satisfied....

Cheers

Try klipsch speakers.

Hi

I am looking for a entry level setup for 5.1 HTS

Can members kindly give some input?

My AVR choices for now,

1. pioneer vsx 921

2. denon 1912

3. onkyo 609

and pairing with 5.1 speakers,

1. Boston Acoustics Soundware xs 5.1

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Boston-Acoustics-Soundware-XS

http://www.avforums.com/forums/speakers/1205745-boston-acoustics-soundware-xs-5-1-review.html

any users have problem with the sub?

or is the pioneer package PSS-921i better?

http://www.pioneer.com.sg/storefront4/ProductDetail/default.asp?ProductId=1165&CatId=,64,205

Thanks for any input!

Hi AshRinz and Daiwa,

KEC is at a delphi, building opposite funan, the shop is located at top floor. The staff there are very patient people. I went to the shop without knowing what models I need or what package is available. I only know my budget and what I want the system to play, more to movies and gaming, not so much on music. After understanding your needs and requirements and budget the guys will recommend what is best for you. Please bring along your floor plan and 3d drawings of tv console if possible, it makes things alot easier for them to give u the right stuff.

With a budget of 2-3k, you have plenty of choices, hope the link below helps

http://www.hifibargain.com/promo.html

:yamseng: