Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
raquel

Cement Wall / Floor Finishes

Need some advice here.

I'm thinking of having a raw/industrial look for my kitchen with cement wall, instead of tiles. I've seen some home decor magazines featuring homes with such industrial looking finishes but I'm not sure abt future maintenance. Any possibility of the cement having crack lines easily or chipping off?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Need some advice here.

I'm thinking of having a raw/industrial look for my kitchen with cement wall, instead of tiles. I've seen some home decor magazines featuring homes with such industrial looking finishes but I'm not sure abt future maintenance. Any possibility of the cement having crack lines easily or chipping off?

cement finishing definitely will crack over time and perhaps some chipping off a little. but this is also the beauty of cement finishing. its best to use cement finishing in area where its mostly dry. if in contact with too much water/moisture fungus will grow on the cement making it turn black.

HTH

if you are very sure about wanting cement screed, most importantly you must find the right person to do it for you. The contractor must have done it successfully before, as it takes skill,experience and knowledge to screed nicely. My hubby and me wanted to screed our whole house but in the end we just settled with screeding our pillar and beam coz its not easy to maintain the floors...hehehe

if you are very sure about wanting cement screed, most importantly you must find the right person to do it for you. The contractor must have done it successfully before, as it takes skill,experience and knowledge to screed nicely. My hubby and me wanted to screed our whole house but in the end we just settled with screeding our pillar and beam coz its not easy to maintain the floors...hehehe

for cement floor, its best to have a layer of sealant over it. this is to prevent excessive water seeping into it and slightly easliser maintaince as well.

cement finishing definitely will crack over time and perhaps some chipping off a little. but this is also the beauty of cement finishing. its best to use cement finishing in area where its mostly dry. if in contact with too much water/moisture fungus will grow on the cement making it turn black.

HTH

Hi sakae sushi,

thanks for your reply. my kitchen is likely to be dry coz there won't be too much cooking. do you know if there's any solutions to prevent chipping? Is there any sealant or epoxy that can be applied to protect?

I was concerned abt the crack lines, etc, thus just limit to cement on walls instead of floor.

Hi sakae sushi,

thanks for your reply. my kitchen is likely to be dry coz there won't be too much cooking. do you know if there's any solutions to prevent chipping? Is there any sealant or epoxy that can be applied to protect?

I was concerned abt the crack lines, etc, thus just limit to cement on walls instead of floor.

Hihi,

Sori for kpo in yr thread, as saw yr topic abt yr crack lines, u should ask yr contractor to use chemical cement to plaster at crack lines instead of using sealant.

Hihi,

Sori for kpo in yr thread, as saw yr topic abt yr crack lines, u should ask yr contractor to use chemical cement to plaster at crack lines instead of using sealant.

Thanks for your advice. For the initial screeding, is there specific grade or type of cement to use?

Thanks for your advice. For the initial screeding, is there specific grade or type of cement to use?

Hi,

Nope... i think is jus a normal chemical cement will do

hihi...

i actually thinking of laying cement flooring on my existing tiles as it is uneven and water will take sometime to dry up.. the balcony is for my dogs actually..

anyway a contractor quoted me 600 bucks and its a 1 day job.

Regards