Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
his.beloved.child

Help! Lighting Help Needed

Hi All reno talk users,

I am new here. My current love nest is a 5 room pt blk located in the east. It is currently on reno. Now i have a problem with lightings!!! Hubby and I intend to have a ceiling fan (no lightings) and realised that if we put the lights too close to the fan blades, it will have a shadow effect and many people were telling us that it might cause giddyness.

Does anyone of you have any pics on your living room with ceiling fan (no lights) and what kind of lightings u are using? Our quotation is not inclusive of any L box. I was told that with L Box, this problem will not exist is it true? Also what kind of lightings do you use for bedrooms? Mine is a modern concept and I went to wuite a few lighting shops and found nothing nice except at Lumiere but they are pricey. ANyone has any pics to show what kind of lights you use? This would help. Can email to me at his.beloved.child@hotmail.com

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi! I bought two ceiling fans without lights, and after much headache, decided to do cove lighting. The fans are to be installed today, so I'm waiting for the results!!!!

My hubby and me had spent a long time thinking of what kinds of lights to use, whether we can still install ceiling lights near the fans, standing lamps etc, but in the end, we got someone to do the Lbox, put in 7 T5 28W tubes and we are so pleased with the effects! But got downside lah, like having to vacuum the Lbox etc...But its much brighter than we expected, and we do not need any extra lighting for reading.

I will email you the pictures of my fans and covelighting once its all done up.

As for bedroom lights, sorry, we don't have any ceiling lights installed there, only floor and table lamps.

You should go down to Lightcraft at Jln Sultan. They are having 70% sale for some quirky lights, 15% discount for other lights. If you like browsing undisturbed, this is the place to go coz you can be left alone to flicker all the lights. we bought all our 11 lights there for $1100.

Hi mister_molly,

Thanks and am waiting to see your pics. Is you Lbox lighting bulbs energy saving kind? Haha.. hubby and I is considering to get a 3 blade ceiling fan from KDK. How much you paid for your fan? KDK quoted us $220. Lbox can be vacuumed? I didnt know that.. hahaha sorry for my ignorance. Lastly, $1100 for 11 lightings is really worth...we went to Lumiere yday and found one is made of Swarovski Crystal fr dining.

Hi mister_molly,

Thanks and am waiting to see your pics. Is you Lbox lighting bulbs energy saving kind? Haha.. hubby and I is considering to get a 3 blade ceiling fan from KDK. How much you paid for your fan? KDK quoted us $220. Lbox can be vacuumed? I didnt know that.. hahaha sorry for my ignorance. Lastly, $1100 for 11 lightings is really worth...we went to Lumiere yday and found one is made of Swarovski Crystal fr dining.

Hi, you can try Goh Ah Bee - they can probably get you a better KDK fan quote.

I'm in the same situation as you. Currently trying to decide L box for the living (in order to mount the ceiling fan on the ceiling concrete). For the rooms, it will be cove lightings

Edited by streamrsz

Cove lighting with ceiling fan might have shadow effects sinice the lights are above the fan and cove lighting are usually directed towards the ceiling or horizontally. L box should be ok because the light is directed downwards.

As streamrsz (car lover? :P) mentioned, KDK fan if referring to the standard HDB one should be able to get cheaper at neighourhood shops... around $170.

[this is something you will not have a full proof solution to it. If you gets giddy, then i would recommend you use standing fan instead. You can be clever to place the light source away from the fan but all CFL/PLC downlights to a certain level will encourage light to spread. It's their characteristics, it cannot be help. This spread will be cutted by the blade of the ceiling fan creating this shadow effect.

If you use very focus/spot lighting which does not spread, you will not get sufficient illumination. The trade off is spotting where you will have uneven illumination in a given surface area.

A costly possibility (which i think is not avail in SG) is for someone to simulate your surface area and design the lighting to minimize this effect. There are science to it which i think NTU or NUS is offering. :P

In SG, if you go to any lighting shop or electrician, ID, architect, all their knowledge is based on experience. And their gage is visual using their eyes to place lights. Nothing wrong with that, just individual comfort. :rolleyes:

quote name='his.beloved.child' date='Apr 13 2009, 02:52 AM' post='382380]

Hi All reno talk users,

I am new here. My current love nest is a 5 room pt blk located in the east. It is currently on reno. Now i have a problem with lightings!!! Hubby and I intend to have a ceiling fan (no lightings) and realised that if we put the lights too close to the fan blades, it will have a shadow effect and many people were telling us that it might cause giddyness.

Does anyone of you have any pics on your living room with ceiling fan (no lights) and what kind of lightings u are using? Our quotation is not inclusive of any L box. I was told that with L Box, this problem will not exist is it true? Also what kind of lightings do you use for bedrooms? Mine is a modern concept and I went to wuite a few lighting shops and found nothing nice except at Lumiere but they are pricey. ANyone has any pics to show what kind of lights you use? This would help. Can email to me at his.beloved.child@hotmail.com