Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ziztine

Raw Wood Furniture - Need To Varnish?

I am keen to purchase some solid pine furniture for my girls' room. Wardrobe, chest of drawers, single bed. But I was told that they are raw pine. Not varnished.

Anyone knows if it is ok to use them without varnishing it? Anyone have experience with using unpolished wood furniture? Pls share & advise. Thks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

at least paint a layer of lacquer, makes it easier to wipe for dirt and also contain the pine wood smell, unless u like the raw pine wood smell.

I am using those IKEA raw wood shelving in raw form.

Dust is a big issue, and over time, the dust will set in making the wood turn darker shade.

As for those raw wood exposed to occasional rain splash, like in balcony, the legs will tend to have wood rot. The SOP is to apply wood preservative to act as a water repellent.

at least paint a layer of lacquer, makes it easier to wipe for dirt and also contain the pine wood smell, unless u like the raw pine wood smell.

when u recommend lacquer, is it the same thing as wood vanish? is it easy to paint the lacquer? can it be just applied over the raw pine or do we need to sand it down or something? totally sotong so hv lots of qns ;)

maybe i just vanish outside & leave the inside raw? kekeke. less work.

Not recommended for kid's usage... the surface is very rough, might hurt her easily.

Also, good to do sanding before painting layers of lacquer... else it will still be pretty rough.

My shoe cabinet, coffee table are raw pine... the coffee table collects dust so fast that I have to place a plastic mate on it... as for the shoe cabinet, I painted 3 layers of lacquer on the top part.

The lacquer I used is clear wood vanish bought from Homefix.

you can also apply wood oil or linseed oil. It protects raw wood in its natural state and also cleans the wood when you apply it. I dun have any brand that i know off coz i was given a bottle (which is at my new plc) when my hubby bought a bundle of raw wood furniture. Basically, you rub in the thick, white oil, wait for it to dry, then wipe over with a clean dry cloth and your wood is happy.

But the wood will not be dust-proof or smooth like varnished/lacquered wood. So maintainance is a must.

Lacquer:

(The hardworking way)

1) Sand the wood

2) apply thin coat of lacquer

3) dry

4) light sand the surface

5) repeat (2)-(4)

(Lazy way)

1) apply thin coat of lacquer

2) dry

3) repeat 2 coats is enough

Wood oil is the easier, less effort way. Disadvantage is that it doesn't waterproof the wood as good as lacquering. And have to repeat the oil-ing after several mths.

Lacquering is permanent and u can wipe the dust off easier. The more coats u do, the smoother will be the surface coz it fills up the grains, making it harder for dust to be trapped, and easier to wipe.

Lacquering is quite a hassle.. need brush, thinner, lacquer (2 types: clear & slightly yellow).

hihihi,

pardon me, but why do we need the thinner?

the raw pine furniture pieces is very smooth. except for the middle of ring part of the grains (dun know the wood terms to explain it right). so i was thinking just vanish without sanding ;) dun know if advisable.

thinner is to water down the lacquer abit, otherwise will be too thick difficult to brush. But cannot water down too much like stirring water. Ya, it's ok to vanish just like that.

Note that lacquer has 2 colours: clear and yellow-ish-brown. Clear one will retain the current natural wood colour pretty well. Yellowish one, the more coats u do, the wood will turn darker one shade.

thanks so much for yr advice! really appreciate it.

seems like it is not as simple as i had in mind. but i think i will still give it a try :P