Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gaku70

New Home In The East

aubrey: Don't think uncle will change the hollows wall tiles. Most probably he will insert chemical with some cement. That's what he did for mine but I do not have many hollow wall tiles, just about 3 I think. Maybe it is more difficult to change the wall tiles compare to those on the floor.

I thought polishing must be done before he hand over to you. That is why I did not want to shift until he polish the floor. Last week I took leaves as well intending to clean and unpack my stuff but I merely watch the worker doing the retiling for 2 days. I see that our situation are pretty similar. I too need to move out fast because the rental.

As for me, I hope they do the rectification over one weekend instead of coming in again and again. If it is not major, then I don't want to take the trouble.

I agree that it is very messy to replace tiles and may cause other damages. So I don't want them to rectify any further.

apple: Didn't know your HO was also delayed. I thought it might have been my wrong way of managing him. For the major issues, I will ask him to rectify. For small ones, I will do it myself or close one eye.

Hollow at the center of floor tile is more risky. If you dropped something heavy, it will just give way. So for me, those in the center must change. For wall tiles, I dont think he will change it unless you insist.

Gaku,

Can share in more detail how Uncle insert the chemical for the hollow wall tiles?

Did he has to hacked before piping in the chemical?

I really want to know how messy it is before talking to him about it again..

We have 2 wall tiles that are hollow in the center and they are behind my shower mixer :(

Pinkpetter,

I don't know how to describe the hollow sound .. but if you use keys or coin or any metal part to just knock on the tiles lightly,

the hollow part will sound different and 'louder' than the part that has the cement below it.

Edited by apples

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Gaku,

Can share in more detail how Uncle insert the chemical for the hollow wall tiles?

Did he has to hacked before piping in the chemical?

I really want to know how messy it is before talking to him about it again..

We have 2 wall tiles that are hollow in the center and they are behind my shower mixer :(

Pinkpetter,

I don't know how to describe the hollow sound .. but if you use keys or coin or any metal part to just knock on the tiles lightly,

the hollow part will sound different and 'louder' than the part that has the cement below it.

I have not personally seen it myself but the explanation given to me by Joseph was the grouting for the hollow tiles and the adjacent tiles has to be cut using the electric grinder. No hacking is required. Then chemical with cement is inserted into the grooves. Finally they use white cement to cover up the grouting.

Gaku... thanks for explaining even though I know you must be very hassled now with all the moving and stuff. :)

Pet, no problem. I am giving myself some time to take a break and so will not unpack so soon. By the way, any idea how to remove the powdery stuff from the floor. Aparently after vacuum and mopping, I still feel there is powder.

Correct, it is a norm at the edges is hollow coz when the tiler apply the cement paste aka buttering technique. All the sides are usually lesser so as allow the cement in the middle to squeeze out at the point of tiling. Hence, most of time the edges are usually hollow. Then again, if the edges are hollow when u drill a hole on it, the edges of four pcs of tiles will usually crack!!! So when drilling a hole onto a tile, do avoid the edges!!!

Why a tile pop out!!! Well this happens comprises of three factors. The quality of the tiles, the cement wall and the skill of the tiler. Those tile that requires overnite soaking are usually inferior quality which most of the contractor recommended to the customer, at $3 pce or so. Apart from this, the tile quality are poor, such as warp and the side are slanted too, if you observed carefully. So if the tiles are not soak thoroughly, the tile will suck the cement paste dry up too and coz hollow.

As for wall tiles will pop out usually bcos of few reason, which i wont go into details. Long story cut short, the wall suck too much water from the cement during plastering of the wall and the cement paste from the tile. When this happens, causes the tile to hollow and poping of wall tiles. Why? Bcos the mixing of the cement ratio is not porportional, like too much sand over cement etc. Another reason is that the wall somehow or rather is super thirsty, especially those wall are build by hollow bricks!!!

Lastly, the tiler mixing of the cement paste is not porportional and buttering technique is poor.

In short, wat i m trying to say is, is ok to have hollow tiles at the edges. But is up to individual of the acceptance level. Oh YES no tolerance of hollow tile in the middle, chances of it popping up is high especially those on the top. I m sure u dont wanna to wear safety helmet at home rite??

cheers

Oh one more tip, for checking of levelling of flooring, just take one ping pong ball and roll it lightly across from one to the other end. If the tiles are not even, the ball will bounce!!! Happy ping pong ya.

'

Now I understand why the tiles breaks easily at the corners. I have some corners which broke when the worker installed the accessories. They tried very hard to conceal by using coloured grouting but I still manage to find out.

Thanks for sharing the tips and the detail writeup on the hollow tiles. I am sure it will benefit the home owners in this forum.

Pet, no problem. I am giving myself some time to take a break and so will not unpack so soon. By the way, any idea how to remove the powdery stuff from the floor. Aparently after vacuum and mopping, I still feel there is powder.

it took us 4 rounds of mopping... two of which I went on my knees which I find more effective. There was a suggestion in Mace's blog before.. to use feather dusters but I'm not sure how it works. You might want to read his blog?

If I were you I would take a lonnngggg break before i unpack. :P

it took us 4 rounds of mopping... two of which I went on my knees which I find more effective. There was a suggestion in Mace's blog before.. to use feather dusters but I'm not sure how it works. You might want to read his blog?

If I were you I would take a lonnngggg break before i unpack. :P

One round of cleaning body already aching. 4 rounds very "siong". Someone suggested to use magic clean, the cloth type. Will go buy and try it out.

I still have many things at folks place and in the north that need to pack and bring it to my new place. So really need lonnngggg break..but not enough leave. So can do only abit on every weekend.

Yesterday was surprised to receive call from uncle to talk abt $$. Thought usually he will talk abt it one week after shift in.

Edited by gaku70

The thing that always bugs me is that.. how to know what is "sound hollow"??? I know all these tips about tapping or knocking... but... I don't know what a hollow sound should be really like? lol

Which kinds explains why I didn't check so carefully. *heck* :P

Pet,

In this T-blog on page 11, post #403, I was sharing with Gaku on a particular tool that is used to detect hollow tiles.

when you drag the tool, the sound is like a dragging sound that is quite 'solid' like a eeeeeeeeee tone, but when you go over a hollow tile, the sound will clearly change to one that goes a deeper orrrrrrrrr tone which points out the hollow tile.

I guess if you do the tapping or knocking its the solid 'tock tock tock' sound vs the hollow 'took took took' sound.

Hope the above sound effects help ..ahahahahhaa! :P

how did the "money talk" goes? did u manage to agree on a fair settlement for you?

The "talk" will be this weekend. He merely ask me for partial payment and I told him will pay him this weekend and also the amt because already quite late.

Hi Gaku,

Hope everything's getting better. Hang in there man, hope everything gets settled soon then you can have a well-deserved break and recuperate.

Thanks adrian_join. Hope things will be better. This week I have arrange all my stuff to come in and so probably next week can have some rest.

I am impressed by your hollow tiles knowledge. Can even describe the sound. "Pei fu Pei fu" :bow: But thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone here.

Thanks adrian_join. Hope things will be better. This week I have arrange all my stuff to come in and so probably next week can have some rest.

I am impressed by your hollow tiles knowledge. Can even describe the sound. "Pei fu Pei fu" :bow: But thanks for sharing your knowledge with everyone here.

Hey Gaku,

No worries. Just sharing what I've learnt from my previous (rather bad) reno experience and what others in the line have taught me.

I just hope my description of the sounds don't sound funny! Ahahaha .. even I'm laughing at it myself! :)

My previous tilers were very good sub-cons on the overall and the tiling work for the whole house was really good.

But despite that, there were 3 60X60 tiles at a bedroom entrance that was hollow.

As we had a lot of problems with the contractor, we just decided to live with it since its only 3 tiles.

Yesterday was surprised to receive call from uncle to talk abt $$. Thought usually he will talk abt it one week after shift in.

That's because Uncle Soon almost completed 6 projects but their bank loans not approved yet so he needed cash to pay sub-contractors!

He asked me to pay him 10k cash with less than 24 hours' notice.

That's because Uncle Soon almost completed 6 projects but their bank loans not approved yet so he needed cash to pay sub-contractors!

He asked me to pay him 10k cash with less than 24 hours' notice.

No wonder he called me up again after lunch. Ok sure if since he has cashflow problem, I will definitely help him out.

aiyoh this uncle ahhh... so risky for him to start the projects even before the bank loans are approved. What if complete liao then bank loan rejected then how man???