Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Supersimon27

S It True That L-box (false Ceiling) For Cove Light More Exp Then Dow Light ?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Guest melancholic
My contractor at first quote me $880 to do up false ceiling and L-box ****/dining area.

However i kind of feel that the design like abit old. So i actually request him to jus do a row of L-box (6000mm x 600mm) across my main wall.

He end up quote me 600+ just for that (without any lighting point).

He then start to tell me that "becos u wan L-box for cove light. So it's more exp then normal dow light L-box"

I start to doubt what he say. Any one know the market rate ??

Contractors charge separately for false ceiling and L-box.

False ceiling is charge psf. Cheapest I've read here is $2.50 psf. Those IDs I consulted tried to scam me by charging $5 psf. If you can get around $3 psf, it's considered good already.

L-box is charged pfr. Cheapest I've read here is $7 pfr. Those I spoke to... again tried to scam me by charging $9-11 pfr. L-box with cove lighting? Some IDs charged me $17 pfr! Daylight robbery!

In any case, I canned the idea of cove lighting. why? Got to climb up and clean the dust that WILL DEFINITELY accumulate up there.. not to mention dead flies and maybe lizards. With kids and all of us sensitive to dust, that's a no no.

Guest melancholic
can actually just use those handheld vacuum for maintenance of covelight area

not a good solution for my wife and I, cos we suffer from back and neck aches.. and our ceiling is 10 ft high. Hanging curtains itself is already a painful thing for us. Furthermore, cove lightings can run for metres.

And unless we vacuum everyday, that will mean that accumulated dust will somehow find its way down from all the circulating air in the home, and result in sneezing fits or sinus problems.

My point being.. have to see your own lifestyle, medical condition, and... whether you have a maid to do all these for you daily! If have.. then 'mai tu liao' , cos cove lighting is nice.

I got my L-box for cove lighting 3m and 4m, and pipe box-up 3m for $340 leh, but i forgot how the guy calculated pfr. But he was cheaper than other qoutes and thank God I got him coz like I wrote in another post, he was the most hassle-free contract work. whee!!

I have yet to look into the cove lights though, not looking forward to vacuuming those flies away...ugh..but must do it soon otherwise i'll start breathing in their dust.

melancholic:

i used to suffer from chronic neck pains daily....if your doctors give the go-ahead, and you both have the time, why not try yoga? I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders when i went for my first few yoga sessions. My hubby joins me too.

Guest melancholic
I got my L-box for cove lighting 3m and 4m, and pipe box-up 3m for $340 leh, but i forgot how the guy calculated pfr. But he was cheaper than other qoutes and thank God I got him coz like I wrote in another post, he was the most hassle-free contract work. whee!!

I have yet to look into the cove lights though, not looking forward to vacuuming those flies away...ugh..but must do it soon otherwise i'll start breathing in their dust.

melancholic:

i used to suffer from chronic neck pains daily....if your doctors give the go-ahead, and you both have the time, why not try yoga? I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders when i went for my first few yoga sessions. My hubby joins me too.

Thanks Mister Molly. I'll ask my wife to consider first, cos her condition is much worse than mine and her company might have these after work activities like yoga. cheers! :)

melancholic:

Hi Miss Molly,

Good price. Can share contractor details pls?

Contractors charge separately for false ceiling and L-box.

False ceiling is charge psf. Cheapest I've read here is $2.50 psf. Those IDs I consulted tried to scam me by charging $5 psf. If you can get around $3 psf, it's considered good already.

L-box is charged pfr. Cheapest I've read here is $7 pfr. Those I spoke to... again tried to scam me by charging $9-11 pfr. L-box with cove lighting? Some IDs charged me $17 pfr! Daylight robbery!

In any case, I canned the idea of cove lighting. why? Got to climb up and clean the dust that WILL DEFINITELY accumulate up there.. not to mention dead flies and maybe lizards. With kids and all of us sensitive to dust, that's a no no.

The quotation that I gotten from one of my selected IDs quoted me $4 pft for false ceiling, $15 pfr for Light-box and $12 pfr for L-box. From what you've found out, I feel that I've been grossly overcharged by the ID. Is it possible to nego with the ID on the above prices?

The quotation that I gotten from one of my selected IDs quoted me $4 pft for false ceiling, $15 pfr for Light-box and $12 pfr for L-box. From what you've found out, I feel that I've been grossly overcharged by the ID. Is it possible to nego with the ID on the above prices?

Hi,

Yes...u still can nego with the id on the above prices b4 u hv signed at the dotted line :yamseng:

So all companies will charge according to psf and pfr? Cos the 2 ID firms that I got quotations from just charged me a lump sum. Said that because the designs are "complicated", its cheaper to charge lump sum instead of psf or pfr. Just wondering if it is normal for ID firms to do this.

Guest melancholic
So all companies will charge according to psf and pfr? Cos the 2 ID firms that I got quotations from just charged me a lump sum. Said that because the designs are "complicated", its cheaper to charge lump sum instead of psf or pfr. Just wondering if it is normal for ID firms to do this.

How complicated can a false ceiling or a L-box be? That's all bull****. It's standard practice for most 'Sales Designers' to try and fleece you as much as they can during the first quote. After all, their pay is 100% based on commission (i.e. a cut from the profit of the project) A large number of reno contractors will do that too.

Ask them exactly where to false ceiling will be. Calculate the area yourself (that's what I did).

From what I've learnt, these IDs sub-contractors will charge them around $2 psf for false ceilings and about $6 for normal L-box. So few IDs can agree to charge you the contractor's rate of $2.50 unless they want to eat air or unless they are the boss of the company, with no need to share the commission with.

If you are using ID firms, reject anything more than $3 psf for false ceilings and $9 pfr for L-box, unless they are offering you other things that are cheaper which balances things out. Anything cheaper... that'll be good.

How complicated can a false ceiling or a L-box be? That's all bull****. It's standard practice for most 'Sales Designers' to try and fleece you as much as they can during the first quote. After all, their pay is 100% based on commission (i.e. a cut from the profit of the project) A large number of reno contractors will do that too.

Ask them exactly where to false ceiling will be. Calculate the area yourself (that's what I did).

From what I've learnt, these IDs sub-contractors will charge them around $2 psf for false ceilings and about $6 for normal L-box. So few IDs can agree to charge you the contractor's rate of $2.50 unless they want to eat air or unless they are the boss of the company, with no need to share the commission with.

If you are using ID firms, reject anything more than $3 psf for false ceilings and $9 pfr for L-box, unless they are offering you other things that are cheaper which balances things out. Anything cheaper... that'll be good.

Oh, thanks for the information. I'll do the calcuation and see if I am gonna get ripped off.

Guest melancholic
i was quote by a contracter false ceiling and L box for my 4rm flat $1500 is it reasonable?

Can't tell if it is reasonable unless we know how big the false ceiling is and how long the L box is.

eh...actually i advise against covelighting unless you have a perfectly smooth ceiling or well done false ceiling as i did cove lighting too. wah, happily open the light after it was done,my ceiling like "inverted desert",heart totally sank. then i engaged someone to plaster it,fixed about 70% as they say ceiling they arent able to make 100%.ended up wasted money & begin my conflicts with my contractors as it's the first job i totally cannot accept it doesnt change anything at all. ontop of that, the extra cost of the electrical points, the holder and light-tube.cost about $700 for me already(total about 20 point/tubes). not adding in the plastering cost. now i hardly on my cove lighting. using only about 6 downlights at strategic locations and it's very bright already. kinda regret doing it for the 'cosy' feel. now gotta climb up to vacuum it clean next time too. should had just did false ceiling all the way.really saved alot and ceiling looked nicer/flater too. ;)