Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
baconprorridge

5-room Resale Tampines Central Layout

Have u tried Maybank? Their interest rate also pretty competitive, and they can separate the cheques into separate payments. :) Not too sure if they can put different names on the cheques though. :)

Thanks & bless u dear. Will check them out rite now !! :good:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
No I don't intend to put grilles as my 3 children are already in Polys & Uni so thank goodness, can save up on this. Just went to the exhibition in Expo yesterday & got some brochures, package listing, ask for qots, advice, etc. Was told by 1 contractor that I need to also plaster the ceiling if i remove the false ceiling. If its true, it is another additional cost again !!

I am checking on renov. loans now to see how best to manage. RHB is offering 3% fix rate loan at this exhibition. The catch is that they will only issue to 1 coy. so seems like have to go to 1 firm to do all things then can. Don't understand why if RHB is keen to give renov loan why tie such conditions ?? It is not to their customer's advantage, especially if we want to go to various direct source to have some more savings. Like u say $200 here $200 there, it sure add up to a lot $$ what ! Anyone out there that have come across any renov loans that is better pls ?? :)

wow, u can relax abit as your kids are already in poly n uni and few more years n u can start getting allowance from them.

hmmm....maybe the company is linked to RHB. By the way, which company is it? 3% fixed rate loan quite attractive.

wow, u can relax abit as your kids are already in poly n uni and few more years n u can start getting allowance from them.

hmmm....maybe the company is linked to RHB. By the way, which company is it? 3% fixed rate loan quite attractive.

Most of the exhibitors there are using theirs. Actually, for what I understand, can be no specific coy . What u need to do is to go to the exhibition & find RHB booth & register wif them 1st to qualify for this rate should u decide to get from RHB later. I was served by a Mr Fan Yu whom was quite thorough in explaining the 2 types currently being offered - fixed rate @3% or another scheme. Do go & double check it out for yourself for what suits u best. :thumbs up:

hi neighbour, my block shd b quite near u....im moving in next month...

anyw for ur toilet, yes u cant shift the WC position...i thk u can consider jus building a simple kerb to separate the shower and WC area and use simple shower curtain....tat shd make ur toilet much nicer at a fraction of the cost..

also, be very careful of classified ad contractors...one thing is ur house is big and if u r on a tight budget, its very easy to exceed and may cause unhappiness w ur spouse..esp since u mentioned he alr quite unhappy w the flat price...

would seriously recommend u go for contractors tat hv been used by close frens / relatives (dubious internet recommendations also take w a pinch of salt)..at least u know they wont too many pattern or hidden costs...trust me that wil really blow ur budget...

if the flooring is ok, jus engage someone to chemical wash it...wil b good as new...

overlay is fine as long as there are no empty hollow bottom tiles....a good contractor shd b able to test by dropping coins on it...

for kitchen tiles alternative, u can consider screeding....saves u hacking costs as well as tiles cost...and ur kitchen wil look like new...

do ur homework properly ya...good luck..

one more thing to add: the room wardrobes look abit beat up....how old r they?

i wld suggest changing them....for hygiene purposes...then jus buy those ready made wardrobes from those local funiture shops...usually less than $500 can get one decent sized alr....carpentry will easily cost 3 times more....

for kitchen, mayb u can take a look at ikea...they are having 10% rebate...outside carpentry sometimes really touch n go...i went thru 2 kitchen cabinets experience in the last yr (one for my mum hse and one for my hse)....altho the price is similar, the quality is very different....my mum one now alr can see the doors slightly misaligned...and the feel of mine is more solid...at least at ikea u can see and feel for urself before confirming...outside carpenters u prob only see catalogue....

Agree with Angel, i checked out Maybank and RHB, both offered same rate (a few mths back) but Maybank stood out, cant rembr was it becos the admin charges were lower. Can just call up and check? Dun bother to go down to counter cos i went down and the sales wasnt even sure of what she was telling me.

Ur kids so big liao!!! :bow: :bow: No grills can save money too. :good:

Anyway toilets tiling ard $4k (excluding hacking), plastering abt $1k+. Doing kitchen also? Those carpentry can buy offshelves for the time being to cut cost too.

WC cannot shift position, but basin ok. Maybe play ard with the basin position to optimise the space?

Kids big liao but expenses now more "terok" coz they dont have fix school schedules like in secondary school. Lots of extra $$ due to their projects need to buy materials, printing, etc on top of having to spend a great part of time outside (makan, tpt). Anyway, much thanks for the tip about going down - will call 1st as advised. Oh, your est costing for plastering looks really good, do u have any ppl/direct source u can recommend for this pls ?? You are rite, all IDs at the expo also confirmed that toilet layout not much can do except basin. Tks a million for all your great advice & help, cheers ! :D

hi neighbour, my block shd b quite near u....im moving in next month...

anyw for ur toilet, yes u cant shift the WC position...i thk u can consider jus building a simple kerb to separate the shower and WC area and use simple shower curtain....tat shd make ur toilet much nicer at a fraction of the cost..

also, be very careful of classified ad contractors...one thing is ur house is big and if u r on a tight budget, its very easy to exceed and may cause unhappiness w ur spouse..esp since u mentioned he alr quite unhappy w the flat price...

would seriously recommend u go for contractors tat hv been used by close frens / relatives (dubious internet recommendations also take w a pinch of salt)..at least u know they wont too many pattern or hidden costs...trust me that wil really blow ur budget...

if the flooring is ok, jus engage someone to chemical wash it...wil b good as new...

overlay is fine as long as there are no empty hollow bottom tiles....a good contractor shd b able to test by dropping coins on it...

for kitchen tiles alternative, u can consider screeding....saves u hacking costs as well as tiles cost...and ur kitchen wil look like new...

do ur homework properly ya...good luck..

Howdy Neighbour,

U moving in quite soon, so yr place already done ?? Am interested if u have any links so I can see & steal some ideas, can ?? Seriously, u are rite about costing cos it will definitely be a very trying time for both spouses especially when funds are tight. Will try to watch my budget. U mentioned cement screeding but I won't be doing my kitchen flr or wall cos they still look ok I think. Will need to take a 2nd look sometime this wk. Actually I went to Ikea previous week but the pricing is quite exp in the long run it seems. Don't know - will have to re-work & see how. Saw a booth promoting re-glazing of tiles

at expo. - don't know how good/efective is it. Any feedback/comments anyone ?? :notti:

Kids big liao but expenses now more "terok" coz they dont have fix school schedules like in secondary school. Lots of extra $$ due to their projects need to buy materials, printing, etc on top of having to spend a great part of time outside (makan, tpt). Anyway, much thanks for the tip about going down - will call 1st as advised. Oh, your est costing for plastering looks really good, do u have any ppl/direct source u can recommend for this pls ?? You are rite, all IDs at the expo also confirmed that toilet layout not much can do except basin. Tks a million for all your great advice & help, cheers ! :D

Do it like my mum, give us a fixed amt every mth and we r thrown alone to survive! No variable component for her :(

My plastering was done thru my contractor. But i've gotten quite a few quotations from contractors, all are ard $1.6k+-, even IDs quoted $2.2k+- only. Not as high as your $3k budget wor...

Howdy Neighbour,

U moving in quite soon, so yr place already done ?? Am interested if u have any links so I can see & steal some ideas, can ?? Seriously, u are rite about costing cos it will definitely be a very trying time for both spouses especially when funds are tight. Will try to watch my budget. U mentioned cement screeding but I won't be doing my kitchen flr or wall cos they still look ok I think. Will need to take a 2nd look sometime this wk. Actually I went to Ikea previous week but the pricing is quite exp in the long run it seems. Don't know - will have to re-work & see how. Saw a booth promoting re-glazing of tiles

at expo. - don't know how good/efective is it. Any feedback/comments anyone ?? :notti:

ya my place is done last month....but been really tied up w the buying of furniture n electricals etc so hvnt move in yet hehe

ya sure let me know which part of reno pics u need, can take and show u...

i thk for house age like ours (mine is also 25yrs old), most of the money is on reinstating than real renovating....we spent quite alot on the plastering....whole house incl kitchen....false ceiling here and there.....incl common toilet cos the ceiling was in very bad state...but somehow aft spending all that money, i dun get such a strong wow factor...prob becos we skipped the wallpapers, feature wall effect etc...the house jus looks new and clean tats all...haha :rolleyes:

Most of the exhibitors there are using theirs. Actually, for what I understand, can be no specific coy . What u need to do is to go to the exhibition & find RHB booth & register wif them 1st to qualify for this rate should u decide to get from RHB later. I was served by a Mr Fan Yu whom was quite thorough in explaining the 2 types currently being offered - fixed rate @3% or another scheme. Do go & double check it out for yourself for what suits u best. :thumbs up:

no la, i dont need to take reno loan and I have already renovated my place and moved in. Just KPO to see which particular company is tied up with RHB which u mentioned above.

Do it like my mum, give us a fixed amt every mth and we r thrown alone to survive! No variable component for her :(

My plastering was done thru my contractor. But i've gotten quite a few quotations from contractors, all are ard $1.6k+-, even IDs quoted $2.2k+- only. Not as high as your $3k budget wor...

no la, the estimated 3k budget for plastering is indicated by me. I had factor in the scrapping away of the existing rockstone finishing for baconprorridge's wall followed by plastering. Estimated around 3k as I had asked around previously when I shortlisted a 5-room flat with rockstone wall finishing.

In fact, i think some companies would shortchange us owners as my 4-room was given a 100% plastering to all the walls and every corner of it. When I renovated my EM, I realised that my ID workers didnt do 100%, merely a light coat to especially those areas that need to plaster. From my understanding, an actual plastering would really make the whole house super dusty. But I think as long as the final finishing to the wall is smooth then should be acceptable.

oops! I tot the budget was set by baconporridge!

Can scrap away the rockstone paint? I asked and all the IDs/contractors told me nowadays they dun do that anymore. I also had rockstone painted on every inch of the house, walls..ceiling..pipes.. even the DB box! Looking at my uneven wall now (in my old room at mum's place), i think plastering really makes a house look much better!

ya my place is done last month....but been really tied up w the buying of furniture n electricals etc so hvnt move in yet hehe

ya sure let me know which part of reno pics u need, can take and show u...

i thk for house age like ours (mine is also 25yrs old), most of the money is on reinstating than real renovating....we spent quite alot on the plastering....whole house incl kitchen....false ceiling here and there.....incl common toilet cos the ceiling was in very bad state...but somehow aft spending all that money, i dun get such a strong wow factor...prob becos we skipped the wallpapers, feature wall effect etc...the house jus looks new and clean tats all...haha :rolleyes:

Just kaypoh, kaypoh, what blk is yrs, neighour ?? Yr plastering cost u how much ah?? I really need to plaster cos of ugly rockstone & old type false ceiling lor... Maybe can only get below 10K loan so have to do the basic 1st like re-plastering & painting, re-wiring, re-instate store & study & kitchen cabinet. If any thing left then maybe do both the toilets. Everything $$$...here abit, there abit... add up to one BIG bit :deal: ,Ha,ha !

Just kaypoh, kaypoh, what blk is yrs, neighour ?? Yr plastering cost u how much ah?? I really need to plaster cos of ugly rockstone & old type false ceiling lor... Maybe can only get below 10K loan so have to do the basic 1st like re-plastering & painting, re-wiring, re-instate store & study & kitchen cabinet. If any thing left then maybe do both the toilets. Everything $$$...here abit, there abit... add up to one BIG bit :deal: ,Ha,ha !

do your own painting and u can save min. $1500. Ur kids are already big right so can rope in entire family to do the paint job. Re-doing the toilets most ex, maybe can give it a good scrub, change the sinks to something more fanciful and trendy and get new WCs. Can add some nice stickers onto the wall tiles then it'll definitely look better, ppl wont be able to tell its an old toilet.

Edited by born_again

neighbour i stay at blk 158. i plastered my home in 2 stages - initially jus living room (try to save cost) that cost me $1000 for both ceiling and walls. then at the urging of my parents, i had no choice but to spend extra for plastering of all 3 rooms as well as kitchen ceiling (cos the condition was really bad, even fresh coat of paint didnt help). every room i was charged abt $800...so about $200 per wall...which i thk is reasonable la....

hmmm as long as no need redo floor, i estimate for ur house size, u shd b able to save 8k thereabouts...

agree with Born Again, that you should consider painting yourself....for 5 room flat, its usually 1.5k at least...buy your material prob $200-300.....

re-wiring can be really exp too....usu 2k at least for whole house...suggest u get a recommended electrician see first...if wires stil ok, dun worry no need to re-wire...jus change power pts can alr....