Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rxsroc

Iron Gate Bolts

Hi there...recently a salesman came to approach me when i was at home saying the original bolts holding the iron gates up are not safe enough...cos theres only a small spot weld on the bolt whereby it can be sawed off very quickly and the whole gate can be lifted up...he suggest me to change to a stainless steel ones with better welding on it...Damage is $100 for 3 stainless bolts...anyone changed theirs or encounter this?...any advice?...Thanks!

pictures below:

24ypnwh.jpg

2e6bry9.jpg

The man claimed the circled part where the weld holding the top part of the bolt head can be sawed off..and the bolt free to lift up..

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi there...recently a salesman came to approach me when i was at home saying the original bolts holding the iron gates up are not safe enough...cos theres only a small spot weld on the bolt whereby it can be sawed off very quickly and the whole gate can be lifted up...he suggest me to change to a stainless steel ones with better welding on it...Damage is $100 for 3 stainless bolts...anyone changed theirs or encounter this?...any advice?...Thanks!

pictures below:

24ypnwh.jpg

2e6bry9.jpg

The man claimed the circled part where the weld holding the top part of the bolt head can be sawed off..and the bolt free to lift up..

There is a discussion about this in sengkang forum. Somebody posted a reply he got from HDB which states that the gates provided by HDB are not easily removed even after the welds have been tampered with. I cut and paste.

HOUSING & DEVELOPMENT BOARD

Your Ref :

Our Ref :

Date : 12 Nov 2008

TEL : 65774218

FAX :

EMAIL : tcy5@hdb.gov.sg

Welder of Gate Hinges Going Around Selling Service

We refer to your email of 10 Nov 08 with regards to the above matter.

The wrought iron gate provided by HDB are installed with the following safety measures:-

a. Rivet pins are being riveted into the hinges.

b. At both sides of the door frame, there are 2 holes for the 2 protruding rods welded onto the wrought iron gate to be sitted inside to make it unremovable when the gate is in close position.

Even if all the rivet pins have been tampered with and were broken or removed, the wrought iron gate still could not be removed when it is in the close position. Hence, the gate provided by HDB is very safe.

Residents are advised to check/verify with HDB before they allow the self approaching contractors to install the additional safety features. And if the contractors persist in harassing them, they should report to the police.

Thank you for your feedback!

If you need any further clarification or assistance, you may contact our Technical Officer, Mr Chew Seng Teck at Tel No. 6577 4253.

Yours sincerely

TAN CHEE YET

SENIOR TECHNICAL OFFICER (H&M)

SENGKANG BRANCH OFFICE

HOUSING ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT

SENGKANG BRANCH OFFICE 118 RIVERVALE DRIVE #02-01 RIVERVALE PLAZA SINGAPORE 540118 TEL: 1800-2255432