Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ena_lee

Leather Sofa

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
So far I have been to many shops selling leather sofas, and the one that I have most favourable comments will be Lorenzo. The sales staff are not pushy and they are willing to help you find the one that suits you the most. I don't like shops like Furniture Club because they mark up their prices so high so as to allow you to bargain down. As far as I know, Lorenzo's prices are quite fixed, promos will be known upfront.

Most people won't know the difference from buying from Lorenzo, Cellini, Natuzzi as oppose to companies like Furniture Club. Alot of these retailers like furniture club don't manufacture - they subcontract out or buy from suppliers in China. That is the reason why their prices are much higher. Guys like furniture club only has presence in Singapore, whereas the bigger guys retail and export globally. When I was at IFC, I was taken aback when the Furniture Club salesman told me Lorenzo's quality is not up tho their standard, because they(Lorenzo) mass produce. They even claimed that Lorenzo's leather is of lousier quality.

The truth is Lorenzo is able to get lower cost due to mass production. Leather purchase in bulk also lowers the costs substantially. The thing is if I really want to custom make my sofa, I would rather go down to Toa Payoh where there are many upholstery shops.

Most people won't know the difference from buying from Lorenzo, Cellini, Natuzzi as oppose to companies like Furniture Club. Alot of these retailers like furniture club don't manufacture - they subcontract out or buy from suppliers in China. That is the reason why their prices are much higher. Guys like furniture club only has presence in Singapore, whereas the bigger guys retail and export globally. When I was at IFC, I was taken aback when the Furniture Club salesman told me Lorenzo's quality is not up tho their standard, because they(Lorenzo) mass produce. They even claimed that Lorenzo's leather is of lousier quality.

The truth is Lorenzo is able to get lower cost due to mass production. Leather purchase in bulk also lowers the costs substantially. The thing is if I really want to custom make my sofa, I would rather go down to Toa Payoh where there are many upholstery shops.

Hi B2B,

Me interested in customing my sofa.can recommend where to do so in toa payoh?

PM me if not nice to put here.thks

cheers

try Air at wilkie road they have some nice sofa.

but need indent and wait 3 months :o

happen to like one sofa there, after confirm my fabric, then i asked what % deposit i have to pay, sale person said must pay full... :o

told her i'm not comfortable to pay full whereby had to wait 3 months... sigh...so ended not buying....

they do carry some nice designers sofa...

Oh I do not know Lorenzo is at lower cost due to mass production. But after visiting a shop , I do know that Lorenzo Sofa is using pocket spring so it won't sink in so easily. Correct me if i am wrong.

try Air at wilkie road they have some nice sofa.

but need indent and wait 3 months :o

happen to like one sofa there, after confirm my fabric, then i asked what % deposit i have to pay, sale person said must pay full... :o

told her i'm not comfortable to pay full whereby had to wait 3 months... sigh...so ended not buying....

they do carry some nice designers sofa...

Air division is one of those who claimed that their sofas are imported from Australia or other European countries.. from my understanding, they subcontract their orders to furniture makers in Singapore or Malaysia. You should always be careful when you have to wait 3 months - most of these companies are open with very little capital, hence, they are unable to keep ex-stock furniture.

Once you take the order, they will contact their subcontractor to produce the furniture. However, to transport the furniture to Singapore, they need to consolidate a 40 foot container (so as to save on per unit cost). As the economy is slow, they can take up to 2-3 months to consolidate one 40 footer. If they buy from Singapore, it is usually one-man-show sofa upholsterer - it is expensive and takes very long to produce.

In the meantime, they will need to pay upfront to the subcontractor (as they are small in size, they do not have trade facilities with banks) - hence, they are asking for your deposit in full.

Most of these operations have the following characteristics:

1. They allow sofa customisation (as those subcontractors are carpenters and upholsterers who do not mass produce)

2. They have alot of fabric and leather choice (they don't buy raw mat in bulk, and subcon buys fabrics/leather from stockists)

3. Delivery lead time is more than 4 weeks.

4. Usually cost much higher (as subcon cost is expensive - unless they use inferior material like split leather)

Most importantly, since it takes so long to consolidate a 40 foot container, should your furniture be damaged, it might take awhile should a replacement be necessary - or they might not even replace your defective pc (as they would have to incur additional transport cost).

Edited by B2B