Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gantan88

My 3ng - Starting My Life Anew

Hi gantan88

One side of my kitchen wall is bare and my contractor has suggested that I tiled it, including the beam. I find it strange, especially the beam. Has not seen anyone doing it? Did you tile it?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi gantan88

One side of my kitchen wall is bare and my contractor has suggested that I tiled it, including the beam. I find it strange, especially the beam. Has not seen anyone doing it? Did you tile it?

tiling the beam is so old school :D my previous owners tiled their beams in 1960s. i plastered it smooth :D

your contractor can earn more $ if you want to tile it

What about the wall below kitchen windows and sink area? Should I tile it or leave it bare?

i didn't tile any of those :D in fact, i had no wall tiles for kitchen, just floor tiles and tile skirting 10cm high

whether you should tile or not depends on your habits.

if you always splash water onto the wall while washing your hands/dishes, then you should not do what i did :P

but there are other options for dressing up your wall.

besides tiles, you can consider glass, acrylic or stainless steel.

i didn't tile any of those :D in fact, i had no wall tiles for kitchen, just floor tiles and tile skirting 10cm high

whether you should tile or not depends on your habits.

if you always splash water onto the wall while washing your hands/dishes, then you should not do what i did :P

but there are other options for dressing up your wall.

besides tiles, you can consider glass, acrylic or stainless steel.

Hi Tictoc, Ossify answer on behalf of me. :D Mine also a tileless kitchen. For my sink area at the 'L' portion which has no wall as backing (my cabinet is L-shape), it is carpentry work. Wood and laminate over.

Ossify... u reminded me, is doing skirting for kitchen the norm? I do not have skirting for kitchen.

Hi Tictoc, Ossify answer on behalf of me. :D Mine also a tileless kitchen. For my sink area at the 'L' portion which has no wall as backing (my cabinet is L-shape), it is carpentry work. Wood and laminate over.

Ossify... u reminded me, is doing skirting for kitchen the norm? I do not have skirting for kitchen.

for the older generation, tiling for wall in the kitchen is the norm. as for the living room, only floor tiles and skirtings to be done.

for the younger generation, we don't tile kitchen walls, we just tile the floors :D similarly to the living room with only floor tiles, skirting should be done too. anyway, all my cabinets are raised by 16cm legs so a 10cm skirting (my tiler suggested 15cm initially but i had a shortage of tiles and didn't want to reorder/delay so i decided on 10cm) would not affect the ability of my cabinets to flush to the wall. also, the skirting helps to protect the wall during moping, which is pretty much the reason why the living room has skirtings too.

as for my living room, i use L-trims so I can flush all my furniture to the wall, regardless if they have legs or not :D

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering why my contractor suggested to tile the kitchen bare wall, including the beam.

Can I also ask about the wall below the window and the sink (beside the toilet)? Did you just paint it?

How cheap is cheap?

i can't remember the price, but think is $150 +/-. Cheapest as in cheapest among those that i saw in the shop, after comparing brands and size etc...

Thanks for the reply. Just wondering why my contractor suggested to tile the kitchen bare wall, including the beam.

Can I also ask about the wall below the window and the sink (beside the toilet)? Did you just paint it?

I dunno why u r asking this, but generally either u have a whole tile-less kitchen or u tile up the whole kitchen. Uniformity, if not it looks weird.

Areas that are going to be covered by kitchen cabinet is optional though.

for the older generation, tiling for wall in the kitchen is the norm. as for the living room, only floor tiles and skirtings to be done.

for the younger generation, we don't tile kitchen walls, we just tile the floors :D similarly to the living room with only floor tiles, skirting should be done too. anyway, all my cabinets are raised by 16cm legs so a 10cm skirting (my tiler suggested 15cm initially but i had a shortage of tiles and didn't want to reorder/delay so i decided on 10cm) would not affect the ability of my cabinets to flush to the wall. also, the skirting helps to protect the wall during moping, which is pretty much the reason why the living room has skirtings too.

as for my living room, i use L-trims so I can flush all my furniture to the wall, regardless if they have legs or not :D

Ossify, until now i still can't figure out how an L-trim looks like and how it enables furnitures to flush to the wall. Do you have a pic of an L-trim? Now i thought of adding skirting to my kitchen flooring but some areas could be block by piping. If an L-trim can save the day, i will consider doing it man...

Ossify, until now i still can't figure out how an L-trim looks like and how it enables furnitures to flush to the wall. Do you have a pic of an L-trim? Now i thought of adding skirting to my kitchen flooring but some areas could be block by piping. If an L-trim can save the day, i will consider doing it man...

i think trimming is only for laminate flooring. kitchen is using tiles right? then most probably have to do the normal skirting.

i think trimming is only for laminate flooring. kitchen is using tiles right? then most probably have to do the normal skirting.

Ya L-trim is only for laminates, to allow for expansion and contraction of the laminate. L-trim for kitchen floor tiles would be pointless.

You mentioned that your piping is blocking? you mean your piping drops all the way down to the floor? that's kinda...

I don't like pipes that go all the way to the floor as they accumulate dirt and you can't mop properly. At least 10cm skirting would be good. so the pipes should be placed between 10-15cm from floor, since cabinets usually start 15-16cm above floor.

Ya L-trim is only for laminates, to allow for expansion and contraction of the laminate. L-trim for kitchen floor tiles would be pointless.

You mentioned that your piping is blocking? you mean your piping drops all the way down to the floor? that's kinda...

I don't like pipes that go all the way to the floor as they accumulate dirt and you can't mop properly. At least 10cm skirting would be good. so the pipes should be placed between 10-15cm from floor, since cabinets usually start 15-16cm above floor.

maybe he's talking about the hdb pipes.

maybe he's talking about the hdb pipes.

Eh no.. is the washing machine drainage outlet hole pipe, only about 1cm high from the floor, but it is made quite close to the wall.

um...