Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
samantha546

Tenant Rights?

Do tenants have rights? The owner is trying to make us responsible for the peeling of a PU "leather" couch that they purchased new 2 years ago. It is peeling in many, many places, even after we did not use it so much. In fact, we keep a sheet on it and didn't use the back cushions, only our own. I think fault of couch but owner wants to put on us. Help!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Im also renting rooms to tenants, and i think your owner is being unreasoanble.

Can you check with your agent about this? Unless you damage the wall or floor.

If not, items will definitely break down or spoilt after using for years right? Its logical.

Eg: If i bought a washing machine for 5 years, and subsequently rent the unit out..

on the 3rd year washing machine break down, i dont think its reasonable to ask the tenant to pay for it.

In fact usual case, tenant will ask owner to send the item for servicing and pay for the fee, since in the 1st place

tenant is paying more because its a furnished unit.

what did your agent say?

To be frank, Im buying Ikea stuffs for my tenant..not those mega cheapo until cannot last even 3 mths type.

Its has been more than a year since they been using, and its still good.

Just like tenant didnt want to pay for damage items, I also did not want to buy expensive furnitures for the tenant,

because I dont expect tenant to take 100% care of the item. So i dont think your owner will actually spend 3k on a good sofa for you.

How long does she expect a cheapo sofa to last?

Even if the owner bought new so what? if its PU leather, dont expect it to last 3years bah.. confirm will peel.

gosh.. that is so nonsense.. if good for 8years, than what about the warranty?!

You are at a disadvantage position. if you want to move out, she will she hold your rental deposit and deduct according.

Unless you dont mind, pay her abt 50% of the sofa price .. ask her to move the sofa out. case closed.

I think its best to move elsewhere, you wont know what you end up having to pay if something else around the house got spoilt due to wear and tear.

Gal, I have help you to call my agent, he say such things is very subjective because items are bound to wear and tear. but can be neg to maybe partial compensation.

especially since, such terms are not being discussed before hand.

hi. glad that i can find someone who is renting out the room for some advice.

i have 1 v big issue abt my tenant who recently pay me extra $50 for using the aircon in her room. Initially she dun want the aircon but then subsequently the weather is toooo hot and she decided to pay additional for it . the earlier agreed $50 lor. not she dun pay she oni use it for less than 1mth. but she is using the aircon day & nite leh. omg.. we as owner is limiting the no of hrs we use the aircon liao wor we usually cool the room and on it for few hrs till abr 3+am my hb will be cold and switched it off to fan.

but this tenant on it till moni till she goes to work so she on it since the moment i switch on the power 9+pm till moni 730am. then wkend today wow sey,. she on since last nite 9+pm till nw i till will be till tomolo moni 730am again leh.

how to tactfully tell her to off it ar>> the electrical bill for nxt mth sure die lar. then $50 i doubt enuf to cover her air con that she on for soooo many hrs leh.. i think i buay tahan liao. i must go tell her off it later aldy... somemore she has a frd who want to come to rent my room to share with her .

Is it too much to ask for further increase in the aircon bill? nw she is paying $400 per pax with aircon.