Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wuga98

Black Spotting In Mirror

the black spotting is within the mirror :o , you cannot wipre it off. Can some tell me what they are and if anyway to remedy the situation or i have to replace the whole mirror?

Thanks.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

no remedy bro. only way is to replace it. as it is corrosion of the mercury beneath the mirror.

what happen to create this corrosion, it is poor quality mirror or process or it is due to the steam in thw bathroom? Just like to understand as not to repeat if i am causing it. Thanks.

no remedy bro. only way is to replace it. as it is corrosion of the mercury beneath the mirror.

yeah its mainly due to moisture. while discussing my reno with another firm, e ID asked whether do we wanna have e mirror

to be flushed in with e wall tiles. n he highlighted that e down side will be possibility that black spots will appear.

I am not sure about the silver nitrate coating as i have seen some articles quoting mercury...i think both of you are correct, it's just technology changes with times.

Yes i have seen the "spotting" in mirror and now it is clear that the right term to use is oxidize spotting in mirror. It can occur anywhere but the edges could be more prone towards this if the protective coating is not applied sufficiently.

As the mirror is in the toilet, the moisture resistance have to be good. I guest the only way to salvage this is to either buy a new one or find a company that is willing to do some rework(resilvering) on the mirror and then recoat to prevent oxidation.

Good education here. Thanks.

i think it's silver nitrate...

the silver nitrate oxidises, hence the black spots.

y it oxidises... is cos' the lining along the sides of the mirror is not 'sealed' properly / has worn out.

pls correct me if i'm wrong. :unsure:

Edited by wuga98