Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
milkywhite

My White House

joseeng, mine came to a standstill just like where I stopped in the tblog.

"ID" sacked, those can be rect, already rect-ed.

Those cannot, I had to close one eye.

Last 5% waived.

Not much point posting anymore, so I didn't visit this forum for a while

Drop by occasionally when I get any SOS via private message. hehe :P

ossify

Looking at what the supposedly professionals have produced, I'm quite sure I can definitely do much better than them since it's my place that I'm handling after all. On top of that, at half the cost. :D

Edited by lawry

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
joseeng, mine came to a standstill just like where I stopped in the tblog.

"ID" sacked, those can be rect, already rect-ed.

Those cannot, I had to close one eye.

Last 5% waived.

Not much point posting anymore, so I didn't visit this forum for a while

Drop by occasionally when I get any SOS via private message. hehe :P

ossify

Looking at what the supposedly professionals have produced, I'm quite sure I can definitely do much better than them since it's my place that I'm handling after all. On top of that, at half the cost. :D

i did it at less than half your cost :D around 1/3

oh btw, how's the roomba?

Edited by ossify

Wanted to do on my own initially as in employ tilers myself electrician myself but my hubby say its too troublesome to control the workers. But turn out worse getting scolded my contractor workers when the cordinator constantly not around or late for hours. Very angry. Yesterday scolded them fiercely cos the kitchen tiles has black scratches due to the workers removing things from the kitchen. Then the kitchen grooves came out. sign

ya cannot lia. the damage is done.

my kitchen cabinet dont rest totally on the kitchen base as the tiler didnt measure. so they just use silicon to cover the wholes.

My wall tiles are crooked too. The grooves are yellowish and my tiles are white in colour.

My toilet bowl is also crooked also due to the tiler. sign

you shouldn't use silicone to cover the hole between the cabinet and the floor. over time, mold will grow on your silicone.

ask your contractor to straighten the wall tiles, change the grout colour to white (grout comes in all sorts of colours, at least 24 colours) since your tiles are white, and to straighten the toilet bowl. crooked tiles are not acceptable. don't pay any $ until rectified (i am hoping you haven't paid more than half). go to SCT if you need to.

if you want to DIY the grouting, PM me, i can teach you how.

Wanted to do on my own initially as in employ tilers myself electrician myself but my hubby say its too troublesome to control the workers. But turn out worse getting scolded my contractor workers when the cordinator constantly not around or late for hours. Very angry. Yesterday scolded them fiercely cos the kitchen tiles has black scratches due to the workers removing things from the kitchen. Then the kitchen grooves came out. sign

the issue is money control. you have little control of money and where it goes when you hire a contractor. based on the usual reno contracts in the market, you pay first at various stages before the actual work being paid for is done. this is very dangerous as the work done may not be up to expectations and you have no way to get back the money paid (unless you sue, which incurs more $). you have no say in the workers/sub-contractors hired to do the job, nor their quality of work. the amount of $ paid to the workers is usually dependent on their quality of work. so to maximize profits, the coordinator may hire the cheapest labour to get the work done, and cheap labour is usually correlated to poor workmanship.

Edited by ossify

Hi ossify

really thanks a lot for your advice. The contractor will come again today to try to rectify the problem. He insisted that the gap between kitchen cabinet and the kitchen base is just little. really make me very angry. After knowing that moulds will grow on the silicon, I am not going to give in, I will not pay for that. I most probably will have to need your help to teach me how to do the grouting cos they simply cannot do it. The whole stripe of cement actually came off when I mop the floor with detergent. Want to faint.

Thanks again for your help

Edited by milkywhite

Hi ossify

really thanks a lot for your advice. The contractor will come again today to try to rectify the problem. He insisted that the gap between kitchen cabinet and the kitchen base is just little. really make me very angry. After knowing that moulds will grow on the silicon, I am not going to give in, I will not pay for that. I most probably will have to need your help to teach me how to do the grouting cos they simply cannot do it. The whole stripe of cement actually came off when I mop the floor with detergent. Want to faint.

Hi milkywhite

Can you pls tell who is your contractor, so that I can avoid him. Thks.

Hi ossify

in order to fix it the right way, you need to redo the bottom plank of the cabinet. that will need carpenters to measure again and do. takes time and $. your contractor will probably want a quick fix, silicone is a stupid fix. my suggestion: black rubber. but if you take this suggestion, make sure you get a discount off your kitchen cabinet. (i suggest 10%, since he earns at least 30% :D)

as for the grouting, why can't they do it... most likely they don't want to do it. if you want to DIY, have to buy grout powder from Hafary, about $15 per pack. but if yours is a small area, i might have some spare. have to check. one pack can cover about 10 square metres, assuming 30x30cm tiles.

one more thing... if that 'cement' came off (i presume you mean silicone) please check if water has penetrated your cabinet...

Edited by ossify

in order to fix it the right way, you need to redo the bottom plank of the cabinet. that will need carpenters to measure again and do. takes time and $. your contractor will probably want a quick fix, silicone is a stupid fix. my suggestion: black rubber. but if you take this suggestion, make sure you get a discount off your kitchen cabinet. (i suggest 10%, since he earns at least 30% :D)

as for the grouting, why can't they do it... most likely they don't want to do it. if you want to DIY, have to buy grout powder from Hafary, about $15 per pack. but if yours is a small area, i might have some spare. have to check. one pack can cover about 10 square metres, assuming 30x30cm tiles.

one more thing... if that 'cement' came off (i presume you mean silicone) please check if water has penetrated your cabinet...

hi all, my place tiling works is almost 80% done up. now my place looks like a cave.

59b1ce1e.jpg

a2518bb5.jpg

79d52672.jpg

4dfc07e2.jpg

ba5cca2e.jpg

Thanks ossify for your advice. Yap I will do it myself as the contractor just dont bother. Keep postponing the date for rectification until I also cant be bothered. In fact, the coordinator didnt call me himself instead instead they ask the clerk to call me so I told them dont have to come anymore. And the coordinator also didnt bother to call again. Irresponsible contractors

Hi,

Is yours Mr N**? My dad uses him and i tot his workmanship is alright to me but i knw if one is picky then its abit 'rough' kinda standard...his carpentry are done by his wife's factory...the ones at my house were good not too sure what happened to you...did you manage to resolve the issue? I tot of getting him to quote for my own house...not tooo sure if i should now.......

Hi everybody

have not been posting as i am too busy after my taiwan trip. For those who did approach my contractor

my advise to you is not to proceed. Even if you want as you had viewed some of his showflat make sure

you want that specific tiler. Overall my reno has a few hiccups cos my coordinator is a forgetful one.

Keep forgetting the pattern, colour etc.

As for my flooring is not very well done. They did rectify the problem but then I felt that if it was done by other tiler

it will be better.

As for my kitchen cabinet, my previous carpenter skills is so much better than him. Even without the use of ABS trimming

my kitchen cabinet finishing was very neat. Unfortunately, he changed his contact no and I cant contact him.

The only thing about this contrator is the price is quite low so if you have a tight budget and not very fussy. Then its ok

but I guess you have some money to spare and a fussy one, its better not to choose him or you will be having heartaches here and there.

Just some of my thoughts. :(

But from what I know from my contractor, none has contacted him. Is it?? Or has anybody approached him.

from reading this blog, personally i will siam this contractor /id farrrrrrrrr farrrrrrrrrr awaaaaayyyy... why wanna spend 30k over to torture yourself over the reno process? i believe that there are better recommended contractors /ids out there in this forum bah...