Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
L.er

How To Tighten Window Handles?

My casement window handles are very loose, during the time when we reported the defect to hdb, the officer told us we could tighten the screws with no tool needed, but I couldn't find the so-called screws. :unsure:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
My casement window handles are very loose, during the time when we reported the defect to hdb, the officer told us we could tighten the screws with no tool needed, but I couldn't find the so-called screws. :unsure:

Ask the officer to come and do it for you. How to tighten without tools?

If it is aluminium windows, most probably you need a drill (to remove the old revits)rivet gun(to install new rivets),or a self tapping screw to tighten it up.

Unfortunately the officer in-charge who told us this refused to send someone down as according to him, the one month period had expired. In fact the contractors didn't rectify nearly all the defects we reported in the list, but there's nothing much we could do since the officer insisted they did (I had even asked him to visit our house to see for himself). Looks like we have to engage the outside contractor to tighten the handles?

Hi L.er,

Could you take a photo and post it here? Take a front view and side view. Previously i tighten the handle of the casement window for my mum house.

Maybe with photo i could explain more easily.

Hi L.er,

Could you take a photo and post it here? Take a front view and side view. Previously i tighten the handle of the casement window for my mum house.

Maybe with photo i could explain more easily.

Thanks Alan! We're currently not staying in this house, I'll take the pics (and send you a pm to inform) when we go back in this few days. I've searched around the internet and realized many hdb flat owners complaining the short life span of their window handles. Sigh~

Actually it is quite simple, i'll explain how i did mine then u can confirm whether it is the same or not.

P160210_1407.jpg

1) Loosen the 2 screw on the handle body. After that you could remove the whole handle of the casement window. Be careful don't lose the screw.

2) After removing the handle, flip to the back u would see one more screw. U could tighten the screw so that the handle won't be so loose.

But don't tighten too hard if not it would be difficult to turn the handle later on.

3) Put the handle back onto the window and tighten back the 2 screw. That's it.

Edited by alan26

Actually it is quite simple, i'll explain how i did mine then u can confirm whether it is the same or not.

P160210_1407.jpg

1) Loosen the 2 screw on the handle body. After that you could remove the whole handle of the casement window. Be careful don't lose the screw.

2) After removing the handle, flip to the back u would see one more screw. U could tighten the screw so that the handle won't be so loose.

But don't tighten too hard if not it would be difficult to turn the handle later on.

3) Put the handle back onto the window and tighten back the 2 screw. That's it.

Don"t you need a acrew driver for the job?

In'nt the screw driver a tool.?

My dear friend,

Obviously I am trying to be sarcastic basing on the advice given by HDB

How to screw/unscrew without a screwdriver, Ha Ha Ha

Don't forget I am a DIY man too.

Thank you everyone for replying to this thread, especially Alan for the explanation and picture. I'm so sorry for taking so long to reply due to the reason that my internet connection is having some problem. I agree that the hdb officer's words sounds unbelievable.

Alan, I think my handle is a bit different from your mum's, we couldn't find the screw on it. Here are the 2 pics, kindly forgive me for the poor images.

windowhandle.jpg

windowhandlesideview.jpg

I think I've seen it before in some DIY shops but dunno whether is it the exact same one. The concept is abt similar from my mum's hse window handle. Except that the screw is from behind(facing outside) not from the front(facing your house). Maybe you could try checking the behind of the window

Once again thanks for the reply. What you mean by outside is the side out of our house right? My husband checked it last time, nothing to do with the handle, just the frame. Can't be that this is a stick on handle right? LOL!

As what alan26 mentioned; remove the handle by loosening the screw.

In your picture, the screw should be covered up. You see two rectangular cover on the handle?, open it up.

Edited by gladyslim