Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
affinity

Is A Foyer Important?

Hi everyone,

I have a very tight budget and have been advised by the ID(!) to drop the idea of a Foyer. I have read on this subject on many design book and they recommend a foyer as a transition between you dropping all your earthly worries and burden and your lovely home. Maintenance wise it would also help to manage the dust and keep the negative Qi outside of your home. Of course to remove your shoes and put your umbrella.

I'm hacking a portion of my existing ceramic tiles and using homogenous tiles for this small area. Something textured for this and intend to put a chinese painting and chest on the foyer.

If no foyer, I feel it would totally remove the use of the ID. might as well look for contractor.

Can I check if all of you have a little corner like that in your house? If so could you post a pic of your Foyer and advise the estimated cost of doing this little bit?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi everyone,

I have a very tight budget and have been advised by the ID(!) to drop the idea of a Foyer. I have read on this subject on many design book and they recommend a foyer as a transition between you dropping all your earthly worries and burden and your lovely home. Maintenance wise it would also help to manage the dust and keep the negative Qi outside of your home. Of course to remove your shoes and put your umbrella.

I'm hacking a portion of my existing ceramic tiles and using homogenous tiles for this small area. Something textured for this and intend to put a chinese painting and chest on the foyer.

If no foyer, I feel it would totally remove the use of the ID. might as well look for contractor.

Can I check if all of you have a little corner like that in your house? If so could you post a pic of your Foyer and advise the estimated cost of doing this little bit?

Check these: Foyer Design Pictures

Hi everyone,

This is a "to each his own" subject, since read, just to share my toughts here. First time come across in this forum, same mind on this subject. I take foyer seriously, simply home is a pl to rest/accumulate energy(qi) for tmr, a pl to shield you from "harms", so u can have a peaceful mind..... I see foyer into 3 parts: (can influent one's mood (short term) & mindset (longer term)

1. Before foyer. Setup/arrangement before entering house.

2. Foyer. What u see/feel when u 1 foot in & 1 foot out.

3. After foyer.

1. Basic rule: Bright & clear from obstruction. Have a "welcome home" feeling. I place a customised stone bench covered with granites(same as hall's floor), next to entrance. To sit, wearing/removing shoes. To sit while wait for lift. To put hand-carry stuff while opening gate/door. Have a open-shoe rack(not in photo), at the other side. Notice gate's swing direction which symbolising a "welcome". Gate can swing only abt 100 degress, the right to it is a wall. Door-door opposite is neighbour. 4 units per floor.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/2606/dscn0781r.jpg

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/2862/dscn0782f.jpg

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/5087/dscn0640.jpg

2. Too bad, wall "directly facing" the door upon entering, cannot hack, no choice. Behind door is storeroom, narrow path. So decided no-door for storeroom, but with a blind instead. Took me quite a while to decide such. Initial quote was to have new frame & new door. I asked ID to hold this item while proceed the rest first. No bi-fold, no sliding, no swing, but decided verticle up & down.

3. Should be bright & "spacious".

Turn left will see 3 wooden pilers at largerest wall at hall, up, no horizontal, meaning "live". Why "3"?. Simply "4" no good, "5" is too many. 2"3" floor, unit #11"3". My previous 2 units, all located at 1"3" floor. I get married on 1"3"/"3"/199"3".

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/6767/dscn0734a.jpg

http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/9100/dscn0736b.jpg

I just fond of "3", no other significance.

Edited by bepgof