Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Angteko

Our Very First B&c Home

The reason why i say after 3mths is becoz, i always see that they give mio tv free for 3 mths when sign up internet. So i guess only need to add the world cup or sports channel. Had not ask abt the details, so not sure the duration of contract for sports channel. Dont really watch other channel of scv or mio, so once/twice a wk to catch soccer and pay for the service abit not worth it. Either that or during world cup selective good match, go out and watch with friends together with drinks and peanut also good! :dancingqueen:

I read abt the cross carry thingy too, so thought doesnt matter which to take, it is going to be effective soon isn't it? The matter most now is stability of internet and monthly subscription fee. I'm using singtel now, and internet some time will get cut off and reconnect. So wonder how Starhub is. And starhub home telephone line is cheaper than singtel. :deal:

Hi Angteko,

For us, we switches from starhub to singtel. We found that our internet connection with starhub was very slow and unstable. We rang up starhub several times to check and they even sent their technician down but still nothing improves. My hb terminated the service once the contract was up.

According to hb, its likely due to the starhub shared bandwidth. Because we always faced slow connection etc during 'peak' hours like after work hours and during the weekends. And it can get pretty frustrating as those 'peak' hours are also the only hours that we wanted to use it. :bangwall:

After we changed to singnet, our connection is much stable and faster compared to the previous provider. Guess there's more starhubber in our estate, so we're glad to have switch over.

For the tv content wise, I think starhub tv got more variety. For us, we didnt subscript for mio-tv content, but it comes with free 15movies monthly. So we just watched those free movies monthly. :lol:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi

The place is Iberna Pacific in Loyang Point. The person to look for is Norman. I will advise u get pricing only from Norman...:). If nothing change, his off-day is Friday.

I am not sure whether they quote over phone, cause I always go down since it is near my place. But u can try.

The other thing to note is they do not take credit card, Payment is cash or personal cheque....

Hope it help

Samgalz, u mind sharing more abt starhub and what u love abt it??

I had starhub scv few yrs back, but only my sis love it, as they watch alot of taiwan variety show and i only watch sports. haha

Starhub is more stable, IMHO. The 3 months which I had miotv I vomitted tons of blood just cos I wan to watch shows and it's not even mio channels, it's TV8. The hub takes **** long to boot up then when it starts can suddenly blackout due to signal prob then got to reboot and all that crap. called in the singtel technician, they changed something but again back to square 1. so we returned immediately once 3 months is up. basically my starhub tv is now mainly tune to Playhouse disney channel everyday! :lol:

My friend also switch from starhub broadband to singtel and is complaining non-stop about it since day 1. seems like for his case, singtel broadband is more crappy then starhub! :bangwall:

Edited by samgalz

Hi Angteko,

For us, we switches from starhub to singtel. We found that our internet connection with starhub was very slow and unstable. We rang up starhub several times to check and they even sent their technician down but still nothing improves. My hb terminated the service once the contract was up.

According to hb, its likely due to the starhub shared bandwidth. Because we always faced slow connection etc during 'peak' hours like after work hours and during the weekends. And it can get pretty frustrating as those 'peak' hours are also the only hours that we wanted to use it. :bangwall:

After we changed to singnet, our connection is much stable and faster compared to the previous provider. Guess there's more starhubber in our estate, so we're glad to have switch over.

For the tv content wise, I think starhub tv got more variety. For us, we didnt subscript for mio-tv content, but it comes with free 15movies monthly. So we just watched those free movies monthly. :lol:

Rasp, thanks for your input. Its 3-1 now! keke

May I know what is your speed for starhub internet last time??

I am wondering, is it becoz the bandwidth last time wasnt as big as now, and when shared, it gets slow. Whereas, now its getting bigger, so even if shared, it is still acceptable.

How does the 15 movies monthly work? Sounds good! New movie?? :rolleyes: Do u need to pay for mio subscription?

Hi

The place is Iberna Pacific in Loyang Point. The person to look for is Norman. I will advise u get pricing only from Norman...:). If nothing change, his off-day is Friday.

I am not sure whether they quote over phone, cause I always go down since it is near my place. But u can try.

The other thing to note is they do not take credit card, Payment is cash or personal cheque....

Hope it help

wah, loyang point, its another side of the island from my house. Not sure if they will charge me extra for delivery. keke

Thanks wcseow, I'll call Norman for quote.

For those who are interested, this is the add and contact. :yamseng:

258 Pasir Ris Street 21 #02-329 LOYANG POINT Singapore 510258. Contact : 65853733. Fax : 65853455

Starhub is more stable, IMHO. The 3 months which I had miotv I vomitted tons of blood just cos I wan to watch shows and it's not even mio channels, it's TV8. The hub takes **** long to boot up then when it starts can suddenly blackout due to signal prob then got to reboot and all that crap. called in the singtel technician, they changed something but again back to square 1. so we returned immediately once 3 months is up. basically my starhub tv is now mainly tune to Playhouse disney channel everyday! :lol:

My friend also switch from starhub broadband to singtel and is complaining non-stop about it since day 1. seems like for his case, singtel broadband is more crappy then starhub! :bangwall:

wah, samgalz your experience with singtel really sux! :curse:

Anyone knows if there is a possibility of checking how many starhub users in specific area?? :dunno:

I got a technical question, not sure if anyone can advise.

Does anyone knows, if using singtel which is based on telephone line, can I place my modem in room and the mio in living? My current one needs to connect thru some cabling.

If using starhub which is based on the scv point, can I place my modem in room using scv point in room, and scv set in living using the living scv point?

hmm..That means if your living area has alot of pple accessing internet at the same time, your connection will be slow. El nino, have u had any bad experience with starhub internet?

Whereas, singnet, ADSl, is supposed to be dedicated bandwidth. But the recent issue in the newspaper abt mio being affected, it seems like they are shared bandwidth instead of dedicated, thats y i abit hold back using singnet, yet also abit worried abt starhub performance. :dunno:

i did faced some laggy issue when i started using maxonline in 2004...but like what rasp mentioned,

it was probably because of too many starhubbers in my estate at that time hence the limited bandwith?

but if i connect direct to the modem, if other ppl in my flat not ard, then connectivity was a zip.

have to commend that the modems they gave me back then sux coz had to change twice but they did it promptly with no charges. :good:

actually, comparing my current M1 mobile broadband and yesteryear's maxonline, my current M1 2mbps plan is a blitz in terms of downloads and surfing. no go for online gaming tho.

Anyone knows if there is a possibility of checking how many starhub users in specific area?? :dunno:

Does anyone knows, if using singtel which is based on telephone line, can I place my modem in room and the mio in living? My current one needs to connect thru some cabling.

If using starhub which is based on the scv point, can I place my modem in room using scv point in room, and scv set in living using the living scv point?

hmm...how many pc users at ur home u anticipate will be online at the same time normally?

whats up with the singtel? what sort of cabling u need to connect thru?

u can place ur scv box and modem at the same place/point (via a splitter of course) AND / OR place them in different locations.

ur personal choice dude. :)

after that, u gotta ask urself, aside from surfing & pc usage etc, are there other equipments u intend to link in ur home network?

i.e. NAS? TV? Printer? Media Hub? Gaming Consoles? Whats ur network layout preferance? Wireless? Wired? etc etc etc :D

I can answer the starhub part...:D

my current place modem for broadband is in room and tv set is in living room. no problem on that.

Hee.. then i answer for the singtel portion bah..

For us, the modem is in our mbr and the mio is at the living tv console. 2 option available, either you can ask singtel to run the wire from the modem to the mio (foc, but think that's a limit to the length of the wire), or get a cordless home connect (either rent from singtel or buy from outside). We rented the cordless home connect @ think 5bucks per month to save the hassle of running the wires.

I think most people will put the modem next to the mio in the living, if you do so, then there's no need to run wiring or get the home connect as the mio can connect directly to the modem.

Hope this helps. :)

i did faced some laggy issue when i started using maxonline in 2004...but like what rasp mentioned,

it was probably because of too many starhubbers in my estate at that time hence the limited bandwith?

but if i connect direct to the modem, if other ppl in my flat not ard, then connectivity was a zip.

have to commend that the modems they gave me back then sux coz had to change twice but they did it promptly with no charges. :good:

actually, comparing my current M1 mobile broadband and yesteryear's maxonline, my current M1 2mbps plan is a blitz in terms of downloads and surfing. no go for online gaming tho.

Orh yah, forget abt M1 on broadband, though they dont provide tel and tv.

I think M1 is using shared mobile broadband as well. My sis in law had a 2mbps one at jurong area, but connection sux when 1st started, not sure abt now.

I had a 1mbps one at cck area, connection not bad. Abit slow compared to fix line, but doing fine if put in abit patience. :D

*edited*

oops..got to change my statement. Just check out M1 website, they do provide tel together with broadband services. Also 0.08/min.

Hmm..might have to recalculate and compare the whole thing then, if not going for tv.

Edited by Angteko

hmm...how many pc users at ur home u anticipate will be online at the same time normally?

whats up with the singtel? what sort of cabling u need to connect thru?

u can place ur scv box and modem at the same place/point (via a splitter of course) AND / OR place them in different locations.

ur personal choice dude. :)

after that, u gotta ask urself, aside from surfing & pc usage etc, are there other equipments u intend to link in ur home network?

i.e. NAS? TV? Printer? Media Hub? Gaming Consoles? Whats ur network layout preferance? Wireless? Wired? etc etc etc :D

For my new place, I think at least 2, me and wife for a start. In future soon, there could be at least 3-4 user at the same time.

With so many users, which one u think would be better choice? Our usage time I think probably in peak hrs bah.

Hmm.. I also not sure wat cabling is that, it connects from the modem to the mio. And both needs to be powerup in order for mio to work?

Other equipment probably dont have, unless I want to plug in my xbox in future. I will definitely going for wireless, coz 1 desktop to connect with ethernet cable, the rest are running on laptop wireless. :unsure:

I can answer the starhub part...:D

my current place modem for broadband is in room and tv set is in living room. no problem on that.

Just to clarify, so u got 2 separate scv point, 1 in room, 1 in living right??

Do u need to on the modem in order for scv to work?

I think this is quite important factor when placing separately, I definitely do not want to go to room to on modem then on scv ****. :sport-smiley-004:

Hee.. then i answer for the singtel portion bah..

For us, the modem is in our mbr and the mio is at the living tv console. 2 option available, either you can ask singtel to run the wire from the modem to the mio (foc, but think that's a limit to the length of the wire), or get a cordless home connect (either rent from singtel or buy from outside). We rented the cordless home connect @ think 5bucks per month to save the hassle of running the wires.

I think most people will put the modem next to the mio in the living, if you do so, then there's no need to run wiring or get the home connect as the mio can connect directly to the modem.

Hope this helps. :)

So the wireless modem does not work alone? Need another cordless home connect thingy? Then singtel really knows how to earn $$ loh. Most pple definitely go for wireless so save the hassle. $5 per family per mth, if 1/5 of SG family in mio, wahhhhh :deal:

Ok same question again, do u need to on the modem in your room in order for mio to work in living?? :)

For my new place, I think at least 2, me and wife for a start. In future soon, there could be at least 3-4 user at the same time.

With so many users, which one u think would be better choice? Our usage time I think probably in peak hrs bah.

Hmm.. I also not sure wat cabling is that, it connects from the modem to the mio. And both needs to be powerup in order for mio to work?

Other equipment probably dont have, unless I want to plug in my xbox in future. I will definitely going for wireless, coz 1 desktop to connect with ethernet cable, the rest are running on laptop wireless. :unsure:

3 to 4 users u can still live on wireless connectivity. does ur flat have many walls?

if some areas u find connections not so good, just add access points in that room.

then ur setup very easy lor...dun need to think deep deep one...haha...plug and play ler... :)

pls look only at wireless-N router for your setup although i feel for 2 users, u dun need a dual channel router.

the way technology is, once u have 3-4 users its probably time to upgrade! :D

for desktop its best to connect via ethernet, cat 5e can do for you. actually with the new opennet fibre optic connection promising 1000mbps is quite useless for now coz i dun think our ISPs provide connectivity speeds of 100mbps and above tio?

xbox if im not wrong dun come with wifi right? u gotta buy the adapter right? never used xbox before but my friend had mentioned this coz its a microsoft product so essentially means suck $ form users...hahaha :P