Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jsaputra

How To Know Which Wall Can I Hack From Just Looking At The Floor Plan?

Hey,

I just viewed this condo unit last week and I really liked it. It just that the living space can be more spacious if the storage room is hacked. Is it possible to find out which wall can be hacked from the electical, plumbing and gas floor plans? I happen to stay in the smaller unit in the same condo, so I went and saw the drawings/plans in the management office, however they don't know which wall can be hacked and which once cannot. I tried to look for structural plan but they don't have it.

Do I need a PE to get this answer? (actually I wouldn't want to pay hundreds of dollars when I'm not even sure I can get that unit). Would a PE be able to advise me by looking at the floor plans or do they need to go and inspect the unit physically? How much would this roughly cost, I know from the forum PE service could cost up to $500, but would this be the same case and cost?

Thank you all for the advice.

Regards,

JS

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Usually you can tell, if it's high-lighted, from the floor plan. You should be looking at wall that is only in plain lines, rather than those in black coloured one or those with additional line running in the middle. Those with plain lines indicate that it is not a structural wall, hence most likely can be hacked. At the end of the day, when you submit your renovation plan and application to the managment. They should be the one who will approve various job to be carry out during renovation. Hence, there's no reason why they shouldn't know weather specific wall can be down.

Exposed Walls (including balcony walls) are considered external facade and is subject to MCST approval, as changes might alter the outlook of the building.

Also, although hacking walls may be structurally possible, there may be M&E services running across them like water, electrical cables, aircon pipes etc. These may require diversion and boxup, and the costs maybe higher than anticipated.