Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Cvv

Op

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

sounds like a huge project...y not check out websites like instructables.com or googling for videos on how to make the wardrobe? its not easy...you need equipment to cut the wood and laminates..its harder if you are doing drawers..

and at the end of the day, it might not be very worthwhile, might as well buy off the shelf...or buy a ready made one, then do some touch up for full height cabinets..might be easier.

any1? any suggestions? my room is in need of help as i have i tight buget like 1.2k, i need a new cupboard and to tear dwn the current one due to the water vapour problems, so

1: how u tear down cupboard that is glued to de wall(botom touches floor, glued, top touches celling glued)

2.to build a new cupboard where can i get the wood from(no ikea plz) teak? i've already done de sketches

3.to build the cupboard(full range top tpuch celling botom touch floor) do i drill the wood 1st on top or below, or both 11st then asembled the wood parts in de middle?

*is jus a simple design 1 big wadrobe, beside is 2 big cupboard(inside with dividers)to put books and the other side empty to put in my amps, guit+hi fi system, so is like a big rectangle with 3 dividers but join together...

how how how?????? :horse:

If DIY, $1200 is more than enough....

any1? any suggestions? my room is in need of help as i have i tight buget like 1.2k, i need a new cupboard and to tear dwn the current one due to the water vapour problems, so

1: how u tear down cupboard that is glued to de wall(botom touches floor, glued, top touches celling glued)

2.to build a new cupboard where can i get the wood from(no ikea plz) teak? i've already done de sketches

3.to build the cupboard(full range top tpuch celling botom touch floor) do i drill the wood 1st on top or below, or both 11st then asembled the wood parts in de middle?

*is jus a simple design 1 big wadrobe, beside is 2 big cupboard(inside with dividers)to put books and the other side empty to put in my amps, guit+hi fi system, so is like a big rectangle with 3 dividers but join together...

how how how?????? :horse:

1) I am not sure how big your cupboard is, but it should be attached by hinges & screws? You probably have to dismantle all the parts in order to take it apart.

2) Sungei Kadut got lots of wood shops. I think my dad gets his from somewhere in Ang Mo Kio. Frankly if it's a wardrobe type of cupboard (i.e. with doors), I don't think it's worth it to use teak. I would use teak only if it was shelving meant for display purposes. For wardrobe type of cupboard, why not use the wood you can buy from Ikea, or if available, buy good quality laminated wood.

3) A bit confused here - are you planning to build a cupboard (with doors) or a top to bottom display shelf? If you are going to build doors, be careful when taking measurements coz the ceiling to floor height is not the same from end to end of the wall.

My dad built the wardrobes in our house but he saved cost by using the wall as a backing. i.e. there is no wood at the back of the wardrobe, and the shelves are supported by brackets drilled directly into the wall. You have to get good quality brackets and if you are placing heavy stuff like amp & guitar on it, better to use a bracket in the centre of the shelf too otherwise the wood will warp over time. Books can be very heavy too, so better use extra bracket on that shelf.

1) I am not sure how big your cupboard is, but it should be attached by hinges & screws? You probably have to dismantle all the parts in order to take it apart.

2) Sungei Kadut got lots of wood shops. I think my dad gets his from somewhere in Ang Mo Kio. Frankly if it's a wardrobe type of cupboard (i.e. with doors), I don't think it's worth it to use teak. I would use teak only if it was shelving meant for display purposes. For wardrobe type of cupboard, why not use the wood you can buy from Ikea, or if available, buy good quality laminated wood.

3) A bit confused here - are you planning to build a cupboard (with doors) or a top to bottom display shelf? If you are going to build doors, be careful when taking measurements coz the ceiling to floor height is not the same from end to end of the wall.

My dad built the wardrobes in our house but he saved cost by using the wall as a backing. i.e. there is no wood at the back of the wardrobe, and the shelves are supported by brackets drilled directly into the wall. You have to get good quality brackets and if you are placing heavy stuff like amp & guitar on it, better to use a bracket in the centre of the shelf too otherwise the wood will warp over time. Books can be very heavy too, so better use extra bracket on that shelf.

;) Hi... Do you mind to share how is your dad tear down the existing cupboard? I have a build-in study table with the cabinet on top. Thinking to tear it down. But not sure what tools and procedure to use. Do you mind to share?

Since it is build in, I guess I need to do some repainting after that. The contractor left some paint after the renovation last time.

:)

i just recently "trimmed" my wardrobe dimension...so should be able to provide u some experience

ya as wat other suggested, u need to remove all the doors n drawers before u can start work on ur wardrobe frame. its goign to be brute force for the glue portion, after that depends on the impt the surfaces of the "glued" area u want to have. u can scrap, putty, repaint etc ... remember to keep ur hinges n rollers if ur next wardrobe will use those components (or u can buy they again, i presume not sliding wardrobe u building)

in town area, ard Sungai Rd famous laska area, u can find a very big shop selling wood planks...they provide cutting services so u just need to give them ur dimension. u need to decide on the thickness of ur planks n the whether u want 1 side or 2 side white surface.

ok the "fun" part starts...what is the deadline u r giving urself n how many ppl doing ? its going to be very very challenging if u r alone trust me..

.wat type of "joints" u going to use ? brackets ? bone skeleton structure, ....

what u going to use to secure the joints ( screws, self tigethening bolts n nuts, nails, etc) ?

what is the surface of ur wardrobe ? formica ? if formica remember u go a lot of doors n drawers to laminate and trim in advance...if just using planks alone ur wardrobe quite ugly to be exact....how about the edge of the planks...."logically" u can buy from the same shop some very "smooth" thin sticks that are used for edges of the doors n drawers where u can glued them to ur planks n paint them will different colour to contrast against ur formica ..... holes for the door hingles u need to be becareful with the dimension as what other suggested....try first on some useless plank n u will understand what i mean....

do u have the tools (especially drill n various type of drill bits n screws for different parts of the wardrobe...if u thinking of screw driver forget it ur hands will be the first to give up) ?? i normally will do my wardrobe n cabinet lying down n assemble all the shelfs, drawers rollers etc....push it upright then nail in back plank + door mount. Impt thing to know....unless u using a firmed bone skeleton structure, u wardrobe will be super wooby after u push it upright...must be very careful... the back plank basically "holds" the wardrobe in position. ..last but not least is ur door handle....& lightings if u are still surviving strong after the project ....

1.2k definitely enuff but raw material + tools ...outcome....duno becoz its fun but the final product might not be what u have drew becoz we are not the pro after all....

Edited by melmeow

;) Hi... Do you mind to share how is your dad tear down the existing cupboard? I have a build-in study table with the cabinet on top. Thinking to tear it down. But not sure what tools and procedure to use. Do you mind to share?

Since it is build in, I guess I need to do some repainting after that. The contractor left some paint after the renovation last time.

:)

Before you tear down, you might want to check whether the back of that cabinet is original wall? E.g. If the house was plastered with the cabinet already fixed on, means that you would have rock stone wall after tearing down the cabinet - you are going to have a headache!

Are you going to re-paint only that area behind the cabinet after you tear it down? You got to re-paint the whole room actually coz otherwise they will be two different colours.

The cabinets are typically fixed to the wall with screws. You need to remove them using a battery powered screwdriver otherwise it will take ages..... and lots of lots of sweat! And like melmeow mentioned, you'll also need to patch up those holes in the walls nicely otherwise it won't be pretty when you paint over them.

You'll need a certain degree of strength to take apart the cabinets. Watch your hands, especially if you are a lady, not nice to have scratches all over :P