Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
aaatop

Help! Diy Downlights... Baffled!

Hi All,

Just bought some square downlights for $20 each c/w 2xPLC 13w.

After fixing up the ballast and figuring out the wiring stuffs and tested the lights would light up when switch on.

Then came the most baffling part, been trying to figure it out how to fix the 4 retaining brackets onto the downlights.

Can any kind soul please help.... below are the pics, the brackets are labelled 1 and 2 and the holes on the downlight are labelled A, B & C.

Anyone DIY their downlights before?

P1190766.jpg

P1190764.jpg

P1190763.jpg

P1190762.jpg

P1190767.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

you have to pull the frosted cover off.

insert the clips from the inside of the fitting.

Imagine its like a spider. you will get 4 'legs' popping out and pressing down on the flash ceiling.

After pondering your advice, I tried to insert the clips from the inside in this orientation like this?..........

P1190834.jpg

P1190835.jpg

A close-up of the inside.....

P1190837.jpg

After the first clip is in.... it looks like this?

P1190836.jpg

From the outside.... are these the spider legs you referring to?

P1190838.jpg

That means I need to perform the followings :

1) Connect the wires and insert the empty downlight case into the false ceiling.

2) Insert the 4 clips "spider legs" from the inside of the downlight case, and extend it out fully so it sits on the false ceiling.

3) Insert the 2 PLC lights.

4) Close the frosted cover.

Please correct me if the steps are not in proper order.

Thank you very much for the invaluable advice.

@aaatop.... for the square hole that you cut on the false ceiling to fit the downlight, what is the guide that you use?

Is it easy to cut the false ceiling? what do you use to do that?

@aaatop.... for the square hole that you cut on the false ceiling to fit the downlight, what is the guide that you use?

Is it easy to cut the false ceiling? what do you use to do that?

I measured the square shape of the downlight (not the frosted square but the part that need to insert into the false ceiling), mine is 12cm x 12 cm.

I made a 12x12cm tempate on a cardboard.

Use the template and pencil the outline on the false ceiling, make sure to align in straight line also making sure there are no wood skeleton behind the false ceiling that you want to cut the square.

Use a pointed handsaw (u can buy it in any hardware store), and slowly saw a square on the pencil outline.

Connect the wires to the downlight.

Insert the downlight into the opened hole.

Insert the 4 clips.

Insert the 2 x PLC lights.

Close the frosted cover.

Switch on the light switch....... it should come on!.....:)

yup. exactly as you showed.

Thanks mkl22........ without yr advice, i think i wun be fixing the downlights myself (DIY).

By any chance you fix yr lightings personally yrself (DIY)?

Thanks mkl22........ without yr advice, i think i wun be fixing the downlights myself (DIY).

Nice to see someone putting this up as D-I-Yed. Now i have a clearer picture. Bet doing car decals is way easier huh bro? :-)

Nice to see someone putting this up as D-I-Yed. Now i have a clearer picture. Bet doing car decals is way easier huh bro? :-)

hi kid79.... nice to see someone familiar in a totally different industry forum......

how r u bro.....

u also doing some reno currently?,,,,

yup, do everything by myself if possible. worked on downlights 20years ago as i installed lights for my parents house. actually most of it is pretty easy, just the time to do it.

yup, do everything by myself if possible. worked on downlights 20years ago as i installed lights for my parents house. actually most of it is pretty easy, just the time to do it.

At least u got some electrical background.... I need to google and try to learn some electrical basics as well as trying out (LIVE) to see if the connections are correct....

Just recently went to this Energy Challenge Expo at Suntec last weekend and bought myself 2 x T5 4ft flourescent tube @$15 each. It comes with reflector and a cover diffuser. Will have to figure out how to wire it up, need to also go buy some T8 tube holder that comes with a L-shape bracket to mount to ceiling.... any advice on the wires ...... :)

I measured the square shape of the downlight (not the frosted square but the part that need to insert into the false ceiling), mine is 12cm x 12 cm.

I made a 12x12cm tempate on a cardboard.

Use the template and pencil the outline on the false ceiling, make sure to align in straight line also making sure there are no wood skeleton behind the false ceiling that you want to cut the square.

Use a pointed handsaw (u can buy it in any hardware store), and slowly saw a square on the pencil outline.

Connect the wires to the downlight.

Insert the downlight into the opened hole.

Insert the 4 clips.

Insert the 2 x PLC lights.

Close the frosted cover.

Switch on the light switch....... it should come on!.....:)

Thanks bro... need to add one to my kitchen.... I suppose the electrician wrongly calculated.... as when I use the kitchen top.... the light comes from the back of my head... casting shadow on whatever Im doing.

Need one on top of the kitchen top

Thanks bro... need to add one to my kitchen.... I suppose the electrician wrongly calculated.... as when I use the kitchen top.... the light comes from the back of my head... casting shadow on whatever Im doing.

Need one on top of the kitchen top

simply shift the existig one to the spot u want, if wires not long enough, extend it using a wire connector and some extra wires (2 wires will be enough). Patch up the existing hole. That is what I would do.....

At least u got some electrical background.... I need to google and try to learn some electrical basics as well as trying out (LIVE) to see if the connections are correct....

Just recently went to this Energy Challenge Expo at Suntec last weekend and bought myself 2 x T5 4ft flourescent tube @$15 each. It comes with reflector and a cover diffuser. Will have to figure out how to wire it up, need to also go buy some T8 tube holder that comes with a L-shape bracket to mount to ceiling.... any advice on the wires ...... :)

wires? the tube holder should have some wires. just use the same diameter will be ok. they are not that current hungry and wires need not be thick.

but why did you get some LED lights. may not be cheaper but with the LED strips you can customise the length easily. huge power savings as well if you leave it on for long hours.