Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
angelous666

Home Of The Blessed @ Renotalk

the infinity island.. i'm kinda hoping for more updates for a long long time. ha

Haha, I'm kinda stuck at the moment as we are halfway in the move-in process. The bed and other furntiture has just arrived and some other stuff is still on the way. I've just gotten my broadband but my old PC is still at my mum's place so for the past week, I've not got a chance to do any surfing from home :( (will try to upload some pics soon)

We bought a living room carpet from Voschs Elements at Liang Court. Quality is very good and the service was superb (my pocket got burnt though). Our sofa was from Massimo (Ubi Tech Park). Bed was from Furniture Mall. I'm now stuck looking for my study table and cutlery everyday, and slowly transfering my stuff over from my parents' place.

Finding myself obsessed with mopping the floor....

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Haha, I'm kinda stuck at the moment as we are halfway in the move-in process. The bed and other furntiture has just arrived and some other stuff is still on the way. I've just gotten my broadband but my old PC is still at my mum's place so for the past week, I've not got a chance to do any surfing from home :( (will try to upload some pics soon)

We bought a living room carpet from Voschs Elements at Liang Court. Quality is very good and the service was superb (my pocket got burnt though). Our sofa was from Massimo (Ubi Tech Park). Bed was from Furniture Mall. I'm now stuck looking for my study table and cutlery everyday, and slowly transfering my stuff over from my parents' place.

Finding myself obsessed with mopping the floor....

nice to hear from you again the-one-with-infinity-island. haha..

yea, I dropped by massimo too when i saw an ad on straits time recently. but the price tag seems a bit out for me

in the end, i got my sofa from Lifestorey and a floor rug together. at quite a gd price actually

for the discerning ones, you may try your cutleries from WMF.

no regrets

nice to hear from you again the-one-with-infinity-island. haha..

yea, I dropped by massimo too when i saw an ad on straits time recently. but the price tag seems a bit out for me

in the end, i got my sofa from Lifestorey and a floor rug together. at quite a gd price actually

for the discerning ones, you may try your cutleries from WMF.

no regrets

WMF is super EX, even with the Robinson sale + OCBC robinson card!!! But yes, I think you will definitely not regret due to the quality, and the looks. I didn't realise that I didn't buy any cutleries until i cooked my first batch of noodles at home and realised I had nothing to eat it off with!!!!!! :bangwall: Need to buy those this weekend... (Its more hectic moving in and sorting things out than during the reno period)

Also, we managed to get a discount from Massimo because we bought it in the GSS.. They were going at 30% off (if memory serves me right) and they were giving away cushions with every purchase! If not for the discount, I wouldn't have bought from massimo either... the 3m long sofa we bought was cheaper than the ones you buy off the shelf at IMM / Sungei Kadut, and with a design that suited the apartment.

....Getting distracted from my chores as I get glued to my PS3......

Its been a month since we moved in, but the defects are really getting to my missus. Since we set up the blog to share our reno experience, might as well share the unhappy things too.

Workmanship, workmanship, workmanship. To fend yourself against possible verbal attacks from your third aunties six wives, you've got to take a close look at the workmanship! We encountered numerous problems with the work at our apartment, so make sure you new home owners out there remember to check. One important point: "If you do not rectify a problem when it surfaces, it gets more and more difficult resolve as new phases of the renovation are carried out.

"

First up: Check your groutings. Colour uniformity, and of course, ensure that it is there in the first place!

2010-07-10111618.jpg

Missed grouting in the Kitchen... Grrhhh

Second Floor and skirting: The skirting and the wall have to be joined up nicely. Below are super negative examples.

2010-06-30180346.jpg

Super poor finishing on the skirtings... arrrgghh

2010-06-30180310.jpg

2010-06-30175903.jpg

More reasons for our dissatisfaction...

Then, check the carpentary. There are lots of places to talk about, but check your joints, laminates, blah blah blah........

Below it a picture of the tall unit in the kitchen before the laminates were pasted on.

2010-07-03123334.jpg

The carpenters said this was the industry practice. Ermm...

More to come...

hey guys, i really love reading your T-blogs. i cant resist but to add in comments regarding why we buy EAs? for me, it is a practical choice as my parent in law and hubby's brother coming over to stay with us. in addtion, we have 2 teenagers and a toddler. plus a maid. total 9 pax. if we dun get a spacious place, we will drive each other crazy ! ( esp this is first time my PIL staying with us ). will tear down kitchen wall to have open concept and cabinet is glossy white. i can just hear them and relatives and all the kay pohs complaining away.... " later fried fish, the oil, the smell, how ? no door to close and worse, no wall ! ", " aiya, cabinet white colour, mad ah u all, later turn yellow, how ? " , " aiya this, aiya dat.... "

to put it crudely, I simply F care. this house belongs to me and hubby and we gonna stay put till we upgrade to old folks home when we are old. work like dogs, spend so much $ ( COV and reno ) and end of day dun have freedon dun have say in our house, cannot indulge in our little pleasures ( eg: rainshower ) and quirks, then might as well kill me. :fire: very simple. you wan to do this and dat, ok lor, you fork out $$ lor else keep yr opinions to yrself cos nobody ask for it in the first place. anything pertaining to your own rooms ( my sons and PIL ) you decide but rest of the house, its the breadwinner decision. thank you very much. :)

hey guys, i really love reading your T-blogs. i cant resist but to add in comments regarding why we buy EAs? for me, it is a practical choice as my parent in law and hubby's brother coming over to stay with us. in addtion, we have 2 teenagers and a toddler. plus a maid. total 9 pax. if we dun get a spacious place, we will drive each other crazy ! ( esp this is first time my PIL staying with us ). will tear down kitchen wall to have open concept and cabinet is glossy white. i can just hear them and relatives and all the kay pohs complaining away.... " later fried fish, the oil, the smell, how ? no door to close and worse, no wall ! ", " aiya, cabinet white colour, mad ah u all, later turn yellow, how ? " , " aiya this, aiya dat.... "

to put it crudely, I simply F care. this house belongs to me and hubby and we gonna stay put till we upgrade to old folks home when we are old. work like dogs, spend so much $ ( COV and reno ) and end of day dun have freedon dun have say in our house, cannot indulge in our little pleasures ( eg: rainshower ) and quirks, then might as well kill me. :fire: very simple. you wan to do this and dat, ok lor, you fork out $$ lor else keep yr opinions to yrself cos nobody ask for it in the first place. anything pertaining to your own rooms ( my sons and PIL ) you decide but rest of the house, its the breadwinner decision. thank you very much. :)

I Like.. Why Renotalk dun have a "Like" button?

:fire: <-- This one fierce, but its my fav.

Anyway, regarding the open concept kitchen:: There is no oil and no smell if you get a proper hood! Tried and tested, we did deep frying (with the proper crockery of course) among other heavy cooking every other day, but the floor is fuss free!

The cassette types my parents and in-laws use are like 450something (i'm not sure about the units here). Those are not as heavy duty (and space saving of course) but airflow is clearly lacking (You might just end up not even using it). Invest in a chimney hood if you go open-concept, and those have 800-900x and it seriously can make a difference. (Just remember to clean it regularly).

I Like.. Why Renotalk dun have a "Like" button?

:fire: <-- This one fierce, but its my fav.

Anyway, regarding the open concept kitchen:: There is no oil and no smell if you get a proper hood! Tried and tested, we did deep frying (with the proper crockery of course) among other heavy cooking every other day, but the floor is fuss free!

The cassette types my parents and in-laws use are like 450something (i'm not sure about the units here). Those are not as heavy duty (and space saving of course) but airflow is clearly lacking (You might just end up not even using it). Invest in a chimney hood if you go open-concept, and those have 800-900x and it seriously can make a difference. (Just remember to clean it regularly).

sigh.. problem is, we not getting any hood at all. hubby say no logic cos got inlet to suck in but no outlet to let out ? cooking is mainly stir fried, steam and soup niah. preventive measure: install wall fan for circulation cos kitchen oni got 1 small miserable window niah. cut down on cooking fried food. maybe get a deep fryer. do thorough cleaning after frying session. if all else fails, i go one corner suck thumb liao :dunno:

sigh.. problem is, we not getting any hood at all. hubby say no logic cos got inlet to suck in but no outlet to let out ? cooking is mainly stir fried, steam and soup niah. preventive measure: install wall fan for circulation cos kitchen oni got 1 small miserable window niah. cut down on cooking fried food. maybe get a deep fryer. do thorough cleaning after frying session. if all else fails, i go one corner suck thumb liao :dunno:

This link may be of some help on how these hoods work: Wikipedia on cooker hood. If there is no use, why do people buy it?!?

I don't have a problem with smells in the house when I cook and I also do not have to worry about fumes as the hood takes care of this. The wall fan will serve to spread the smoke, smell, oil particles etc!! don't point it at your cooking area!!

Chimney hoods have filters to clean the air before it lets it out at the top. Think fishtank pump that cleans out the dirt.. Got inlet, no out also wad. U just need to clean the filters. Ask Courts or Harvey Norman to give you a demo for free.

The fan will make you mop your kitchen very often........... :D

I remember a really funny scene when I was somewhere shopping for taps.

Lady: "Uncle, 吸烟机会不会吸烟?"

{Uncle does the "smoke sucker" (cooker hood) suck smoke?}

Shopkeeper: "Errmmmmm... (Long Pause).... 假如吸烟机不会吸烟,就不叫吸烟机了...."

{If smoke sucker dun suck smoke, then wun be called smoke sucker}

There is a reason why we buy these things!!

oh ok... wat u say oso make sense. hmmm.. go back to discuss with ah lau again... heehee, u are correct. i was thinking the wall fan to circulate the air ! wahahhahaha.... now i think cannot liao, just aim it at the dinning table can liao..

tks bro. i managed to convince hubby. getting hood after all !!! based on yr advise, we went searching for 800 to 900. found 1 tecno hood 900x. design slim and sleek. heeheehee... :yeah:

tks bro. i managed to convince hubby. getting hood after all !!! based on yr advise, we went searching for 800 to 900. found 1 tecno hood 900x. design slim and sleek. heeheehee... :yeah:

Hehe. Congrates! Looking forward to see pics of your new home!

Am definitely enjoying this blog, keep it up angleous666. 1st it makes me think twice about having an open concept kitchen. I need to consider getting cooking hob (hmmm.....hope it's not too exxx) and also i must know how to maintain the hob and clean it. 2nd, i like the first few post about things to look out for during renovations.

By the way, how did u go about checking the grout, was it obvious when viewed from a standing point or do u actually have to squat and inspect the grout lines ?

Am gonna have to do reno on my new place next year so am in the learning process, plus ID sourcing point right now.

Am definitely enjoying this blog, keep it up angleous666. 1st it makes me think twice about having an open concept kitchen. I need to consider getting cooking hob (hmmm.....hope it's not too exxx) and also i must know how to maintain the hob and clean it. 2nd, i like the first few post about things to look out for during renovations.

By the way, how did u go about checking the grout, was it obvious when viewed from a standing point or do u actually have to squat and inspect the grout lines ?

Am gonna have to do reno on my new place next year so am in the learning process, plus ID sourcing point right now.

We bought the "Turbo Combo" - Hood, Hob and Built-in oven at a combo price. Pretty decent and you will probably get discounts with you get it from those neighborhood electrical stores. (Don't go to Courts and get fleeced!) I spent about 700 on the package.

Checking the grout, you've got to hand it to my wife. She inspected every last bit by doing a quick round of cleaning by herself (Yeap, squatting included). Unless you get up close, you can miss those gapping holes easily.

Very nice place you have there angel. Whats the price of the kitchen mixer and the brand?

Kitchen mixer is Arino (Chinese brand) about 300bux.