Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Yipee

What To Do If Gout Lines Keep Peeling Off?

Hello all,

I had renovated my hse about 1 year ago and 6 months after the renovation. We found that the gout lines had been peeling off/coming off in some area of my living room.

We had consulted the contractor who did the hse for us and apparently the the gout lines was too narrow when he was placing the titles during renovation. Therefore, the gout lines kept coming off.

He did not have any solutions of how to solve this as it will continue to peel off even if he scrapped off the gout and apply a new coat.

Anyone facing the same problem?

Pls help?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hello all,

I had renovated my hse about 1 year ago and 6 months after the renovation. We found that the gout lines had been peeling off/coming off in some area of my living room.

We had consulted the contractor who did the hse for us and apparently the the gout lines was too narrow when he was placing the titles during renovation. Therefore, the gout lines kept coming off.

He did not have any solutions of how to solve this as it will continue to peel off even if he scrapped off the gout and apply a new coat.

Anyone facing the same problem?

Pls help?

Sorry, what is "gout line"? I checked dictionary, gout= a disease which makes, especially the toes, fingers and the knees swell and give pain.

Edited by bepgof

Sorry, what is "gout line"? I checked dictionary, gout= a disease which makes, especially the toes, fingers and the knees swell and give pain.

Yah... gout., uric acid, cannot take beans, aggravate by diabetes, cannot eat kway chup :)

For narrow gap, must use unsanded grout, The absence of the sand will allow the grout to flow smoothly into the narrower space. Clean joint before apply.

Allow 2 days for grout to dry then apply grout sealer.

Sorry, my typo error.

It should be Grout...

So should i ask the contractor to scrap off the current ones and re-apply the unsanded grout?

Where can i get grout sealer??

Sorry, my typo error.

It should be Grout...

So should i ask the contractor to scrap off the current ones and re-apply the unsanded grout?

Where can i get grout sealer??

Apply didulted acid on grout, wait for about 1/2 -1hr, use hard brush brushing off residual. Clean, dry, reapply the coating.

What tile? Don't use acid on granite & marble. Ceramic & homogenous are ok. Guess the lines must be small, <3mm? Black, white, coloured cement/hard plaster?

Edited by bepgof

how to do the tiling grout? need to wait 25mins den use sponge to clean?

Grout lines are usually plaster or cement. Wear glove while handling, use plastic hard brush to clean. Sponge is not the right tool, too soft, become many smaller sponge after one or 2 brushings, some more with acid. The time is for chemical to react with cement/plaster, 25 min is an indicative only. May have to apply acid twice, depend on situation...

Edited by bepgof

If just wanna clean, spray bleach overnight, wash and scrub the next day.

If wanna regrout, clean surface.... means scrap grout surface so that new grout can adhere to the old ones. So, its scrap and remove loose grout and powder. Make sure they are dry.

Aim to prepare the surface for the new grout. Always remember to allow grout to cure after application. If wanna last longer, apply grout sealer.

homefix at anchor point don't sell grout sealer. which shop selling

Edited by dean

Narrow grout line .. normal grout will not work. Need epoxy grout which is used for marble floorings.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,384695-2,00.html

Cement based grout need a minimum vol to adhere/cure.

If grout is white colour , then can try acrylic wall sealer like Shelley's No More Gaps. Is polymer based, so like rubber band material instead of chalk like. Last time I experiment use timber floor polyurathane to paint over, but the glossy effect not nice.

Narrow grout line .. normal grout will not work. Need epoxy grout which is used for marble floorings.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0,,384695-2,00.html

Cement based grout need a minimum vol to adhere/cure.

If grout is white colour , then can try acrylic wall sealer like Shelley's No More Gaps. Is polymer based, so like rubber band material instead of chalk like. Last time I experiment use timber floor polyurathane to paint over, but the glossy effect not nice.

Thanks, very enlightening, another chapter to learn.

There are 2 types of grout - (Fine grout and normal grout)

To prevent the grout from coming out, add liquid polymer to the gorut

when regrouting.

Epoxy grout is the best choice but the applcation takes alot of time and skill

coz if the epoxy grout will start to harden in the pail after 30 min and you need to

throw away.

If you are looking for fine grout, u can look for Mapei: http://www.mapei.sg

There are 2 types of grout - (Fine grout and normal grout)

To prevent the grout from coming out, add liquid polymer to the gorut

when regrouting.

Epoxy grout is the best choice but the applcation takes alot of time and skill

coz if the epoxy grout will start to harden in the pail after 30 min and you need to

throw away.

If you are looking for fine grout, u can look for Mapei: http://www.mapei.sg

you provide service....

Erm, so do i use epoxy grout or acrylic wall sealer like Shelley's No More Gaps?

My grout are white in colour

i will still need to scrap off the old grout first right?

Pls advise?