Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kungfukiddy

Advice Needed On Renovation By Phrases.

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I am looking for some advice on how to go about doing my renovation.

As I am planning to renovate my place soon, I might be staying in during the renovation due to some budget issue.

Also, I am planning to do it area by area, my renovation have to be done phrase by phrase.

Please enlighten me on which area to touch 1st, what is the normal procedure and how long each process takes.

This will really help me in planning for my delivery of furnitures.

Thank you in advance,

Kungfu Kiddy

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, do you intend to change all the tiles? if you are, suggest you don't stay in first.. cos the dust from cutting those tiles is really a big headache.

what actually do you intend to do?

Hi, do you intend to change all the tiles? if you are, suggest you don't stay in first.. cos the dust from cutting those tiles is really a big headache.

what actually do you intend to do?

Hi merydith , yes i plan to change all the tiles. thinking of doing part by part.

headache do not know how to go abt it.

suggest you do all the tiles first. becos it's going to be very very dusty. after the acid wash is done, then you move in ba. carpentry at least don't have that much dust.

major overhaul? it's going to be a lot of inconvenience if you live there during reno wor. do you want to consider renting a place for about a month first?

why don't u list down the things u plan to do.

Then forum-er might/can advice.

Tiles better do all in 1 time. Or else very super dusty.

Hi kungfu Kiddy,

I would agree with the rest that tiling is to be done up altogether first. As a project manager for a renovation firm, I have never come across a project that client would stayed in during whole unit tiling process. It will definitely cause a lot of difficulties for the contractors and workers to work.

More often than not, contractors will lay the tiles one shot for the whole unit. Imagine if you're the contractor and have to hack each room at different date, laying the tiles would thus be a bigger headache as you will need to use more raw materials and labors. Take for cements, it will dried up and thus need to remix again. Not to say that it is time consuming and slow. The labor fees for each extended day will also be incurred too! If you're the contractor, where do you think these extra charges of material and labor cost goes to? (guess you know who will be paying for these)

Next qns post will be if you're hacking the living room, (apart from the dust) how will you cross the living room or if u need to access to kitchen, main door etc? Wouldn't it also be dangerous to move around in your unit too? Not to say if the tiles are not ready, moving about might also caused the alignment to go off.

If you happened to do electrical or water piping work, where will you draw the electricity and water from? *choy choy touch wood* that if that day cannot rectify your electricity work, where would you plan to "borrow" your electricity from?

Like therat proposed, it would be better that you post up your relevant work so that we can help you out.

Or can even ask around here for pricing in renting a unit for a short stay? (or at least the major work like tiling and toilets are done up) it might have been cheaper than all these extra cost adds up and less worries for the aftermath effect. For your consideration. =)

Regards,

Arthur

Project Manager

Hi All,

I am new to this forum. I am looking for some advice on how to go about doing my renovation.

As I am planning to renovate my place soon, I might be staying in during the renovation due to some budget issue.

Also, I am planning to do it area by area, my renovation have to be done phrase by phrase.

Please enlighten me on which area to touch 1st, what is the normal procedure and how long each process takes.

This will really help me in planning for my delivery of furnitures.

Thank you in advance,

Kungfu Kiddy

:D this is very subjective, it is definitely possible if you are the only one (or with your hubby) living

in the house, also depending of the number of rooms you have, so that you (and your hubby) can

swap around when every each phase has completed. But bare in mind you will have to swear you're

not going to complain about dusty & inconvenient the workers causing to you & your hubby :dunno:

My advice is as such: Rent a cheap room and leave all your furniture & belonging locked in one room,

ask your contractor to swap it when another room is ready for it.

Ask your contractor to complete all wet work within 3 weeks, wash up & handover to you,

you can shift in now & customize furniture/ shower screen etc come in later is fine.

Kitchen Bottom cabinet install first before the rest of the custom made furniture so that they are able to measure

the work top and can be ready to meet the rest of the furnitures installing same time.

Hope the above help ;)

Hi all,

As this place is quite bad after staying in for the last 20 years, I am planning to hack and relay all tiles in living, kitchen, master bathroom & common bathroom. wooden floor at all rooms, plastering the whole house, false ceiling, rewiring, repiping, change all windows & doors, painting, wardrobes, kitchen cabinets, wall mounted study table & vanity cabinets at both the bathrooms. All & all it will be a huge total makeover. I need to thank all of you for the advice, I really will consider stay at my friends place for the time being. btw, any recommendation on where to get really value for money lightings, electronic appliances, bed, sofa, dining table, sink, hood, hob, built-in oven, sanitary wares?

Really thank you for all advises,

kungfukiddy

hi all,

just engaged with an id. will be going ahead if the price is right. was planning to lay marble flooring. not sure how advisable it is. what are the things i have to take note? what was the procedures? looking forward to any advise.

Kungfukiddy

Edited by kungfukiddy

Hi all,

As this place is quite bad after staying in for the last 20 years, I am planning to hack and relay all tiles in living, kitchen, master bathroom & common bathroom. wooden floor at all rooms, plastering the whole house, false ceiling, rewiring, repiping, change all windows & doors, painting, wardrobes, kitchen cabinets, wall mounted study table & vanity cabinets at both the bathrooms. All & all it will be a huge total makeover. I need to thank all of you for the advice, I really will consider stay at my friends place for the time being. btw, any recommendation on where to get really value for money lightings, electronic appliances, bed, sofa, dining table, sink, hood, hob, built-in oven, sanitary wares?

Really thank you for all advises,

kungfukiddy

Well bro, there's really a lot of info that you're asking for. You probably be able to find the info you need by searching through the forum. Off hand though, i can offer some recommendations.

Lightings - lighting.com.sg

Electronics - parisilk, HN, GC, Mega Store

Bed/Sofa/Dining Table - Furniture Mall/Ikea/Hive/novena

Sink/Hood/Hob - Everjoint/parisilk (call for quote on the model you want)

You probably need to go walk around, do some research and shortlist items that you like and then call them up for quotes. Even HN and GC are ok to call up for quotes.