Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ningyusof

So Bloody Mad With This Furniture Company!

i bought some furnitures from Brighton company.. thou their ads looks like they selling cheap furnitures i realise some of their items are rather pricey.. nvm, found a few items i like including this coffee table which comes in 3 layers.. both me and hubby like it a lot and the salesgirl claimed its tempered glass, we assumed should be safe enuf to have around the house. one month after delivery i heard a loudbang almost like explosion while in the kitchen. run out to find my 3 year old lying halfway below the table with glass all over and blood dripping. rushed to A&E and received 4 stitches. those glass are definitely not tempered glass as claimed cos they were sharp big pieces and how can a 3 year old possibly bang his head till the glass broke unless they are of low quality glass?

went to the outlet and show the pics of the glass and i asked the girl for an explanation. she made some calls and told us the first layer is tempered glass, but not the 2nd and 3rd layer. wtf those glass below not glass meh? i asked for an exchange of a different table with the same value but they were only willing to replace the broken part with again NON TEMPERED GLASS! what? and let the accident happen again? u were the one who claimed these are tempered would i have bought it if i had known they are not? i have a kid on top of that. i didnt even ask any compensation for my son's medical bills. the boss claimed they were only willing to give us a goodwill discount but not a free exchange. perhaps its our fault for buying glass, but shouldnt they have made it clear what those bottom layers are made of? im thinking of going to CASE. can anyone advise if i have got a strong case against them?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

1stly i hope yr son is safe and good. being a parent of 2 boys. i always do away with glassy things. i hope u wun take risk of going back to the same shop with that kind of quality. nuthin matters more than our beloved ones..cheers

When my eldest son started to crawl, I dismantled & kept the glass "coffee table" in store, threw away after a few months, since then my houses all WITHOUT coffee table. Eldest son now already 15! Personally I found whether staying in HDB or private, coffee table quite space-obstructing, my legs kena knocked here & there many time. Legs also kena hit dining table & bedset also, how I wish these can be suspended in the air without legs.

All tempered glass come with a printed word; "tempered glass" onto the glass. Ordinally glass after some heat treatment become tempered glass.

Edited by bepgof

U would like to go to CASE in regards to this matter. Maybe there's a few question u need to ask yourself before proceeding to CASE to see if they can help u.

1) Is there anything stated on your delivery order which states clearly the glass for the coffee table is tempered glass? Or rather is just from the mouth of the salesgirl? If there's nothing stated on your delivery order, then you might not have a case since the company can turn back on their words and said since when did they tell u it's tempered glass?

2) How did the accident happened? Ie: did your boy actually climb onto the top of the glass? If that's the case, I think tempered glass might not be able to hold your boy's weight.

Hope that your boy is ok now.

i bought some furnitures from Brighton company.. thou their ads looks like they selling cheap furnitures i realise some of their items are rather pricey.. nvm, found a few items i like including this coffee table which comes in 3 layers.. both me and hubby like it a lot and the salesgirl claimed its tempered glass, we assumed should be safe enuf to have around the house. one month after delivery i heard a loudbang almost like explosion while in the kitchen. run out to find my 3 year old lying halfway below the table with glass all over and blood dripping. rushed to A&E and received 4 stitches. those glass are definitely not tempered glass as claimed cos they were sharp big pieces and how can a 3 year old possibly bang his head till the glass broke unless they are of low quality glass?

went to the outlet and show the pics of the glass and i asked the girl for an explanation. she made some calls and told us the first layer is tempered glass, but not the 2nd and 3rd layer. wtf those glass below not glass meh? i asked for an exchange of a different table with the same value but they were only willing to replace the broken part with again NON TEMPERED GLASS! what? and let the accident happen again? u were the one who claimed these are tempered would i have bought it if i had known they are not? i have a kid on top of that. i didnt even ask any compensation for my son's medical bills. the boss claimed they were only willing to give us a goodwill discount but not a free exchange. perhaps its our fault for buying glass, but shouldnt they have made it clear what those bottom layers are made of? im thinking of going to CASE. can anyone advise if i have got a strong case against them?

i suggest u take the replacement parts, and then go to homefix to buy those privacy film stickers, the kind for sticking onto windows, and stick onto the glass.

if it ever breaks again, it won't shatter this time as got the sticker holding it all together. i think daiso got sell those clear transparent ones.

U would like to go to CASE in regards to this matter. Maybe there's a few question u need to ask yourself before proceeding to CASE to see if they can help u.

1) Is there anything stated on your delivery order which states clearly the glass for the coffee table is tempered glass? Or rather is just from the mouth of the salesgirl? If there's nothing stated on your delivery order, then you might not have a case since the company can turn back on their words and said since when did they tell u it's tempered glass?

2) How did the accident happened? Ie: did your boy actually climb onto the top of the glass? If that's the case, I think tempered glass might not be able to hold your boy's weight.

Hope that your boy is ok now.

cannonsiao:

1) the display table itself in their showroom had the word 'tempered' on the surface and salesgirl verbally told me its tempered. however the delivery order is not stated. when my table arrived there is no word 'tempered' and that i realised only recently. now they are claiming its only 40% tempered but i have doubts cos even if its 40% tempered the degree of the shattered glass was as gd as non tempered glass at all.

2) my son was reaching out for something below the table and upon getting up banged his head and i repeat his head (not some hard or heavy objects) on the bottom layer of the glass. he didnt climb up at all and the top layer glass is unaffected.

thanks all.. my son is ok now. im thankful for that.

cannonsiao:

1) the display table itself in their showroom had the word 'tempered' on the surface and salesgirl verbally told me its tempered. however the delivery order is not stated. when my table arrived there is no word 'tempered' and that i realised only recently. now they are claiming its only 40% tempered but i have doubts cos even if its 40% tempered the degree of the shattered glass was as gd as non tempered glass at all.

2) my son was reaching out for something below the table and upon getting up banged his head and i repeat his head (not some hard or heavy objects) on the bottom layer of the glass. he didnt climb up at all and the top layer glass is unaffected.

thanks all.. my son is ok now. im thankful for that.

Hi, if that's the case that when they deliver the goods, it's your responsibility to check that the goods that arrived are correct. If you sign on the delivery order, it's kinda hard to hold them liable if anything happens since you already signed and acknowledged that the goods delivered are correct.

Unless there's proof that the good delivered are defective right from the beginning then can at least bring your case up.

Not defending the shop but you have quite a weak case here.

Hi, if that's the case that when they deliver the goods, it's your responsibility to check that the goods that arrived are correct. If you sign on the delivery order, it's kinda hard to hold them liable if anything happens since you already signed and acknowledged that the goods delivered are correct.

Unless there's proof that the good delivered are defective right from the beginning then can at least bring your case up.

Not defending the shop but you have quite a weak case here.

i ordered quite a lot of items in a single sitting so when they delivery came i was rather busy checking the products and hence overlooked this matter. i'd actually went down to the shop and again ask the salesgirl for the confirmation that its tempered glass. its word against words but i have witness ..since their items are manufactured by different companies i believe its the manufacturer that is at fault. but on the bright side.. i juz received a call from them agreeing to change the item to another of the same value. im not putiing 100% blame on them which is why i didnt ask for them to compensate medical fees. all im asking is for some sense of responsibility.. its my 1st time buying tempered glass.. so i didnt really know wat to look out for.

i ordered quite a lot of items in a single sitting so when they delivery came i was rather busy checking the products and hence overlooked this matter. i'd actually went down to the shop and again ask the salesgirl for the confirmation that its tempered glass. its word against words but i have witness ..since their items are manufactured by different companies i believe its the manufacturer that is at fault. but on the bright side.. i juz received a call from them agreeing to change the item to another of the same value. im not putiing 100% blame on them which is why i didnt ask for them to compensate medical fees. all im asking is for some sense of responsibility.. its my 1st time buying tempered glass.. so i didnt really know wat to look out for.

At least now the shop agree to change the item for u. Better than not changing and they just act blur. Sometimes buying furniture can be a headache for parents. Need to see got sharp corners or not.....Glass tempered or not...

1 day dishonest furniture shop will get karma. i throw away 4month old sliding wardrobe and wooden bedframe with 3 drawer cost $610 due to wood was defective badly. I got a lesson never ever buy furniture from 2X genting road.