Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Revamp Of A 40yo 3rm Pigeonhole...

my wc is too small to to install heater n shower head there...not sure but why you wanna do this? to have heated water when washing bottoms when biz done? :D

Haha .. nolah. this is for 'just-in-case' situation . like get up late in the morning and have to quickly shower n get ready work / school ... but then again , there is only 3 of us - for now :rolleyes:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Haha .. nolah. this is for 'just-in-case' situation . like get up late in the morning and have to quickly shower n get ready work / school ... but then again , there is only 3 of us - for now :rolleyes:

learn to multitask lor. . . :D

neubie,

when i open the right circled box, found a 5 point splitter with labels on the cables indicating livingrm, bedrm1, mbr & bombshelter...that was why i suspect when i get the network termination equipment from service provider...i connect 1 end to opennet TP and other end can connect to this 5 point splitter and my hse tv points will be enabled with high speed connection...then i have a 2point splitter in livingrm connected to the tv point, 1 is for tv & other is for modem / wireless router...not sure if i'm making any sense here...

picture009s.jpg

neubie,

when i open the right circled box, found a 5 point splitter with labels on the cables indicating livingrm, bedrm1, mbr & bombshelter...that was why i suspect when i get the network termination equipment from service provider...i connect 1 end to opennet TP and other end can connect to this 5 point splitter and my hse tv points will be enabled with high speed connection...then i have a 2point splitter in livingrm connected to the tv point, 1 is for tv & other is for modem / wireless router...not sure if i'm making any sense here...

picture009s.jpg

I think that's the scv tv points, where the incoming tv signal from the catv distribution system split into multiple coaxial tv points.

coaxial cables are usually black in color.

within the box itself there shd not be any opennet fiber cables there. before u close up the box u may want to take pic n show for clarity.

btw, u are not supposed to tamper with those boxes outside Ur unit.

I think that's the scv tv points, where the incoming tv signal from the catv distribution system split into multiple coaxial tv points.

coaxial cables are usually black in color.

within the box itself there shd not be any opennet fiber cables there. before u close up the box u may want to take pic n show for clarity.

btw, u are not supposed to tamper with those boxes outside Ur unit.

these boxes are in my unit, in the DB box...the opennet TP is next to the left circled box...apology for not making it clear earlier...below is a pic of my DB box in my unit...i try to take a pic of the right circled box later to show...

44097870.jpg

lazybum.. we found the same village.. saw your post on our village billboard..

back to your statement.. i dun think you can do that.. like what neubie stated.. scv point is coaxial point.. not fibre point..

Here's an article on OpenNet's policies.

Four months’ wait for fibre installation if you reject Opennet

Singapore users who reject a free offer to wire up their homes to the country’s next-gen broadband network could end up waiting four months to install the fibre-optic cables, should they change their minds and want to surf on the ultra-fast services later.

That is, unless they get an alternative arrangement with a telecom operator, by agreeing to sign up to fibre broadband plans immediately, which then lets them jump queue and have the cables installed within three weeks.

This strange set of rules for such “ad hoc” installations, based on information from public hotline operators at network builder Opennet as well as Internet service providers here, reveal the confusion that a consumer could face when attempting to hook up to these ultra-fast connections.

The fibre optic network, offering speeds as fast as 1Gbps – or 10 times faster than older broadband services – has been deployed to more than 60 per cent of homes here, since home installations began in late 2009. However, it was only a year later, as services began to be offered commercially, that public interest warmed up.

Until then, with no services running through the new network, many home owners decided against an additional cable point in their apartments and landed properties because of the unsightly surface trunking that was usually involved.

Once they had rejected the free wiring offer from Opennet, which is partly funded by the Singapore government, home owners would have to pay S$220 (for apartments) or S$450 (for landed homes) to have the cables installed later.

Even if they do so now, the queue is as long as four months, as an Opennet hotline operator told Techgoondu. Better yet, it takes five working days to schedule a date and for the company to call back – we called on Saturday and are yet to hear back from Opennet.

However, if one is to press further, Opennet would “recommend” that you ask a telco like SingTel to set up the fibre optic cables for you – at a shortened waiting time of about three weeks.

That cannot be right, since only Opennet is authorised to lay any such cable into your home. This separation of roles by the authorities is meant to prevent one company from dominating the market. SingTel later also verified that it would only facilitate the installation, which would be done by Opennet.

So, why have two different queues? It sounds logical, on one hand, since this means those who really want the service now can have it sooner than someone who just wants to install the cable to wait and see.

On the other hand, the situation is confusing to consumers because there seems to be two sets of rules, one of which only presenting itself if you ask the right questions to the right people (your telco, not Opennet, which will put you at the end of the queue).

Can this information not be made public – spurring more people to sign up – rather than through “ad hoc” advice and sometimes downright erroneous information given through the Opennet hotline? Imagine how many people would have been turned away in disappointment when told that they had to wait four months to get their fibre set up.

At the same time, while it balances the need to rush out the network by end-2012, Opennet has to consider the wish for folks who have declined the installation earlier to want to sign up now. Until late last year, no services were in sight and it is understandable that many house-proud Singaporeans did not want ugly trunking running through their homes.

Sure, they then have to pay the penalty since they chose to run the cables after their district had been scheduled for the exercise. But shouldn’t the monetary penalty or cost be enough, such that they don’t get penalised again with a long wait when trying to sign up later? After all, the network has to be used to be useful – completing it without that many users on it means little.

This is one of those things that you feel Opennet can do better in, even as it rushes to complete the network on time.

To be fair, it has done much better than the players in Singapore’s last broadband push – SingaporeONE, for those who remember the 1990s – when there was little information on the benefits of technologies like ADSL and cable modem and takeup was extremely slow as a result.

But there is more that Opennet can do and that is to make it easier for people to sign up. It can start by telling people that, yes, you can get ahead in the queue if you want to get online immediately.

And looking at the queue for installations, it appears that a lot more people want to set up fibre at home than Opennet can cope at the moment. Perhaps it’s also time to hire more contractors for the job, rather than making them wait for four months?

Finally my OpenNet is done up after some hiccups. Chronological sequence as follows:

10 February 2011

OpenNet called to notify me the backend testing for my unit is completed. Only verbal confirmation but no email or snail mail.

12 February 2011

Proceeded to M1Shop to sign up for a 50Mbps plan. Was told of one month lead time for Nucleus Connect (NC) to come install the ONT. Arrangement can be done on weekends but MORE expensive than weekdays.

11 March 2011

Took leave on Friday, waited for NC guys come. 9am one beng-ish NC technician came with the ONT, re-tested signal and found to be out of spec. Five minutes later told me cannot do, must another day come back at their own cost... wasted one day leave for nothing.... :furious: the guy gave me this...and said this is a very common problem....

NC.jpg

That afternoon, someone from NC called me to reschedule another visit on weekday (15 March 2011). I told them to reschedule to Saturday (19 March 2011) since it's their fault for playing me out on that first visit and I dun want to waste another day of leave to be disappointed again.

19 March 2011

1pm a bunch of 6-8 guys came, some from SingTel, some from NC and some OpenNet contractors came, tested the TP port #1, no light, so they traced all the way to the next block's MDF room, verifed it was loose connection (maybe due to the Sendai Earthquake???) and reconnected. Signal test passed. Fired up the ONT, plugged in the fiber optic cable and RJ45 cable to my router, viola!!! Link lights and Port #1 light stable. Fired up my laptop and wifi on phone, everything worked swee swee!!! :D :D :D

downloaded Internet Explorer 9. Blazing fast speed!!! YouTube, Tudou and all other sites all fast and zippy :yamseng: ... below is the completed OpenNet cum home network installation... :thumbs up:

Completed.jpg

Hey neubie,

I am really glad to have chanced upon ur t-blog.... helped me to understand quite a bit about the things going on behind the scenes of renovation. :D

how do you make it that the air will flow into the living room cabinet so that the router, ONT and NAS don't get too hot?

could you PM me Alan's contact and firm? Thinking of engaging him. Will he help to figure the wiring of the cables and stuff? Thanks!!

cheers

William

Hey neubie,

I am really glad to have chanced upon ur t-blog.... helped me to understand quite a bit about the things going on behind the scenes of renovation. :D

how do you make it that the air will flow into the living room cabinet so that the router, ONT and NAS don't get too hot?

could you PM me Alan's contact and firm? Thinking of engaging him. Will he help to figure the wiring of the cables and stuff? Thanks!!

cheers

William

the IT equipment inside my cabinet is not that warm, so I'm not too concerned about thermal runaway n overheating.

Alan 's contact as the signature below. u need to specify to him what u require, then he'll followup.

Bro, ur RJ45 cable goes to the wired wireless router rite??? and the power plug is for the ONT rite??? what abt power to the wireless router??? and what's the NAS for??? kindly enlighten me...thanks...

Bro, ur RJ45 cable goes to the wired wireless router rite??? and the power plug is for the ONT rite??? what abt power to the wireless router??? and what's the NAS for??? kindly enlighten me...thanks...

yes, the ont comes with its own power brick which is partially obscured in the pic. same for the router. NAS is network access storage, networked hard disk where all audio, video, pictures n other files are stored centrally for sharing by any connected pc, phone or laptop. serves as a media server for my tv also. refer to my earlier posts on pages 7-9 for details.

the IT equipment inside my cabinet is not that warm, so I'm not too concerned about thermal runaway n overheating.

Alan 's contact as the signature below. u need to specify to him what u require, then he'll followup.

cool~.... thats a real sweet setup... will see how i can work it into my house design.... =) Thanks neubie!

bro, i am looking for a wireless router which can support up to 300mbps for fibre, cable or ADSL connections (just in case i may switch my internet options in future)...

Previously when i was using Singtel ADSL, i bought the Linksys Integrated ADLS Wireless Router, which is purely for ADSL connection only. Similarly when i was using Starhub cable, i was using the Motorola SB6100 model which purely for cable connection only...

so now i hoping to get a one single router which can be used for all types of connections and fast enough to support 300mbps. =)

any recommendation of brands and models? thanks!