Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Revamp Of A 40yo 3rm Pigeonhole...

bro, i am looking for a wireless router which can support up to 300mbps for fibre, cable or ADSL connections (just in case i may switch my internet options in future)...

Previously when i was using Singtel ADSL, i bought the Linksys Integrated ADLS Wireless Router, which is purely for ADSL connection only. Similarly when i was using Starhub cable, i was using the Motorola SB6100 model which purely for cable connection only...

so now i hoping to get a one single router which can be used for all types of connections and fast enough to support 300mbps. =)

any recommendation of brands and models? thanks!

for the price of $89, the single band Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH which i'm using, offers up to 300mbps wireless access is hard to beat. I'm using this one. so far so good. take note the price is only valid on IT shows or PC shows; usual price is about $130+.... for wired connections, the router support 1Gbps speed. plenty of customizable configurations and features if u are into it. :D

Edited by neubie

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Completed.jpg

this black wired /wireless router is the

for the price of $89, the single band Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH which i'm using, offers up to 300mbps wireless access is hard to beat. I'm using this one. so far so good. take note the price is only valid on IT shows or PC shows; usual price is about $130+.... for wired connections, the router support 1Gbps speed. plenty of customizable configurations and features if u are into it. :D

the black wired /wireless router is the WZR-HP-G300NH that you are using now? look cool.. can i also use it for cable internet connection other than fibre connection?

Edited by steelze

Some updates. Nothing wrong with the fittings with my renovations, but something ugly happened to my Ikea Stolmen furniture.... :o barely three months after installation, visible hairline cracks along the laminated edges of the shelves started appearing all over the place.

IMG_3710.jpg

IMG_3712.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

IMG_3714.jpg

IMG_3715.jpg

Items were bought mid-december 2010, problems appeared in 13 Feb 2010 and complained to Ikea. They dared not offer me a complete replacement, as I told them if the replacement sets start having the same problems then how? so they arranged for their guys come pickup and process the refunds.

26 Feb 2011 their freight forwarded came dismantle and pickup the items. was told they will process the claims within 5 working days. they said they will charge back the amount to my credit card i used to purchase. WTF?!?! who would be in the right frame of mind to get a refund in credits and not encash the refund? Told them i wanted them to reimburse me by cheque. :furious: they replied it will take longer to issue check as the payment has to go thru their finance.

fine, so i waited until the check was mailed to me 25 March 2011. talk about efficient service? 2 weeks??? My midfinger to them!!! :furious: I have not even claimed the transportation costs during purchase, much less the time/effort done to install them, not even the late accrued interests to them and they just refunded me the purchase amount!

the multiple teleconversations with their CS is just more on lip service, they are polite to u, but when ask them to followup and call back, it's bad, until i repeatedly hound them. So much for the quality and service for a Swedish company.

So readers have been warned. Not all Ikea stuffs can be bought with peace of mind.

Some have requested my contractor's quotation thru PM.... so i intend to post here to save the hassle. ;)

only the workscope and grand total is given; no itemized costing will be given, cos too much hassle (the individual items won't add up to the final amount anyway :D ).

pricings are for reference only and serve as guidelines so dun go haggle with ur contractor/ID to match the offer :D

Edit: I have received quite some PMs asking the individual contacts of my carpenter/licensed electrician, while I understand there *might* be some savings if one were to go direct to the subcon (bypassing the main con), the fact that Alan has a team of long-trusted subcons imply they won't do such moonlighting work. their schedule is tightly packed and managed by Alan, so no free time to do sidelines..... Even if they do, they will notify him that of such cases and Alan takes over the negotiation.

Hi neubie,

Not sure whether you are still here. I would like to check what is the total cost of your rewiring? If you don't mind, just reply here will do.

Hi neubie,

Not sure whether you are still here. I would like to check what is the total cost of your rewiring? If you don't mind, just reply here will do.

1k9 for rewiring incl powerGrid testing n certificate.

1k9 for rewiring incl powerGrid testing n certificate.

Hi neubie,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad that you are still here. I have been reading your T-blog. Your place has been done up so nice and simple!

By the way, you meant 1.9k for the following rite?

ELECTRICAL WORKS

Whole unit re-wiring including new MCB box and PG power supply testing. 

32 lighting points + 

3 scv + 

2 tel pt + 

12 x 2way 13A + 

2 x 1way 13A + 

1 x 15A + 

1 x 20A + 

6 x 3gang lightswitch + 

1 x 1gang lightswitch + 

4 x Cat5e 

I was quoted by Allan verbally about 2.6k for re-wiring (my 4rm flat) but he didn't mentioned clearly the other day when I met him up what are the things included.

Did you tell Allan how many electrical points you need or based on his recommendation or the re-wiring package already have standard items?

Sorry, I am a bit blur about this. Need your expert advise..

Edited by emobebe

Personally i feel ikea product doesnt last long. I bought a wardrobe and less than 6 mths it give way. Quality is not good. Now i avoid all ikea big product like wardrobe, cupboard and so on. Small accessories like pencil holder, etc are ok :)

Hi neubie,

Thanks for your reply. I am glad that you are still here. I have been reading your T-blog. Your place has been done up so nice and simple!

By the way, you meant 1.9k for the following rite?

ELECTRICAL WORKS

Whole unit re-wiring including new MCB box and PG power supply testing. 

32 lighting points + 

3 scv + 

2 tel pt + 

12 x 2way 13A + 

2 x 1way 13A + 

1 x 15A + 

1 x 20A + 

6 x 3gang lightswitch + 

1 x 1gang lightswitch + 

4 x Cat5e 

I was quoted by Allan verbally about 2.6k for re-wiring (my 4rm flat) but he didn't mentioned clearly the other day when I met him up what are the things included.

Did you tell Allan how many electrical points you need or based on his recommendation or the re-wiring package already have standard items?

Sorry, I am a bit blur about this. Need your expert advise..

yes, I was quoted in a similar fashion. the prices quoted are typical requirements including all materials (switches, wiring) and labor (cutting open of false ceiling to install downlights, install ceiling fan, pendant lights, certification, etc), but if u need those chio chio rocker switches, then of cos the quote goes up accordingly.

think electrical work prices may go up a bit, due to the new ruling/code of practice (wef March 2011 onwards) required by the Energy Market Authority to label cables which may jack up costs.

probably before the reno u may have certain requirements for the powerpoints and light points, but may change afterwards, so he will meet you to confirm again before he asks his gang to start work.

not to worry too much about him anyhow quoting prices. at least a good number of forummers signed up with him w/o problems.

Personally i feel ikea product doesnt last long. I bought a wardrobe and less than 6 mths it give way. Quality is not good. Now i avoid all ikea big product like wardrobe, cupboard and so on. Small accessories like pencil holder, etc are ok :)

yes, i agree. but it depends on what things u buy there. I have a >15yo birchwood writing desk that still looks as good as new. but for your case, take pictures and email to their customer service with receipts attached and they will pick up the wardrobe & refund your cash accordingly. go ahead and claim from them as standard warranty applies.

yes, I was quoted in a similar fashion. the prices quoted are typical requirements including all materials (switches, wiring) and labor (cutting open of false ceiling to install downlights, install ceiling fan, pendant lights, certification, etc), but if u need those chio chio rocker switches, then of cos the quote goes up accordingly.

think electrical work prices may go up a bit, due to the new ruling/code of practice (wef March 2011 onwards) required by the Energy Market Authority to label cables which may jack up costs.

probably before the reno u may have certain requirements for the powerpoints and light points, but may change afterwards, so he will meet you to confirm again before he asks his gang to start work.

not to worry too much about him anyhow quoting prices. at least a good number of forummers signed up with him w/o problems.

Hi Neubie,

Thanks for your assurance. By the way, one more question about your doors.

WOODEN DOORS

To supply & install new 02 set of wooden door frame for 02 bedroom

To supply & install 02 set of veneer wooden door for 02 bedroom c/w lock

To supply & install 01 set of solid nyatoh main door c/w lock

When Allan quoted the venner wooden door for you, it is comes with the wooden door frame or you personally ask for it. How much charges for each door frame ya? Just curious.

I was quoted with the veneer wooden door but not with the frame. I got a friend who tell me that it should come with the door frame. So, not sure about this. Better ask you...LOL

Thanks! Emobebe

yes, i agree. but it depends on what things u buy there. I have a >15yo birchwood writing desk that still looks as good as new. but for your case, take pictures and email to their customer service with receipts attached and they will pick up the wardrobe & refund your cash accordingly. go ahead and claim from them as standard warranty applies.

that's true. my bro's home is essentially an ikea home. he has many big items (sofa, big book cases, cupboards etc) that have been in use for 12 yrs.

i think need to look at the build of the items you want to buy in the ikea showroom... some of them are quite obviously flimsy~ and (usually) quality is quite proportional with price in ikea........

Hi Neubie,

Thanks for your assurance. By the way, one more question about your doors.

WOODEN DOORS

To supply & install new 02 set of wooden door frame for 02 bedroom

To supply & install 02 set of veneer wooden door for 02 bedroom c/w lock

To supply & install 01 set of solid nyatoh main door c/w lock

When Allan quoted the venner wooden door for you, it is comes with the wooden door frame or you personally ask for it. How much charges for each door frame ya? Just curious.

I was quoted with the veneer wooden door but not with the frame. I got a friend who tell me that it should come with the door frame. So, not sure about this. Better ask you...LOL

Thanks! Emobebe

for my case, door n frame is quoted separately, u can retain the frame if it is in good condition, as the veneer door will have to be measured to fit before installing. if recall correctly the frame is 200+ including patching n make good.

that's true. my bro's home is essentially an ikea home. he has many big items (sofa, big book cases, cupboards etc) that have been in use for 12 yrs.

i think need to look at the build of the items you want to buy in the ikea showroom... some of them are quite obviously flimsy~ and (usually) quality is quite proportional with price in ikea........

at least the $1 hotdog n Swedish meatballs are as good as ever :D I always buy a frozen pack home n DIY cook.... haha