Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
DKCH

Water In Toilet Not Draining Well

Got a problem with my bathroom. The water does not drain well into the floor hole. Water always gathers around the floor hole, and it can be there even 12 hours later! I suspect that the tiling wasn't done well and the lowest point on the floor isn't the hole, but rather, around it.

Problem now is that because of the water collecting around that corner of the bath area, the tile colour seems to be becoming darker. More accurately, at the area where the water always is.

So, spoke to contractor. Said that water is most probably collecting under the tiles. As I did not hack the floor, but rather, I overlayed the existing tiles with mine, she says that she has to charge me for the repair works.

Firstly, is her assessment of the problem accurate? And secondly, is this really "not her fault" and such, I am the one who has to pay for the repairs?

THanks in advance guys.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Got a problem with my bathroom. The water does not drain well into the floor hole. Water always gathers around the floor hole, and it can be there even 12 hours later! I suspect that the tiling wasn't done well and the lowest point on the floor isn't the hole, but rather, around it.

Problem now is that because of the water collecting around that corner of the bath area, the tile colour seems to be becoming darker. More accurately, at the area where the water always is.

So, spoke to contractor. Said that water is most probably collecting under the tiles. As I did not hack the floor, but rather, I overlayed the existing tiles with mine, she says that she has to charge me for the repair works.

Firstly, is her assessment of the problem accurate? And secondly, is this really "not her fault" and such, I am the one who has to pay for the repairs?

THanks in advance guys.

Strange. i would imagine that even if they laid over the existing tiles, the contractor would still need to apply cement or some sort of membrance on top of the old tiles. I would also imagine that when this cement and/or membrane is laid it should be applied in such a way that it slopes towards the drainhole. hence, allowing the water to flow in a downward direction. it sounds to me that yor contractor might not have applied the cement/membrance properly and so the water isn't flowing towards the hole. Just my layman's opinion and i could be totally wrong about this.

Strange. i would imagine that even if they laid over the existing tiles, the contractor would still need to apply cement or some sort of membrance on top of the old tiles. I would also imagine that when this cement and/or membrane is laid it should be applied in such a way that it slopes towards the drainhole. hence, allowing the water to flow in a downward direction. it sounds to me that yor contractor might not have applied the cement/membrance properly and so the water isn't flowing towards the hole. Just my layman's opinion and i could be totally wrong about this.

Thanks! Any feedback is appreciated! Yeah I would imagine it should be sloping towards the drain hole. It is okay at the common bath but not the master bath. So yeah I kinda deduced that's the cause. As for the solution, she did mention have to hack the whole **** flooring off, and relay the tiles back! I am hoping to hear another alternative because 1) it is going to be a HUGE HUGE MESS and 2) it is going to be expensive which, she already said, I will have to cover because she only overlaid the tiles and so, waterproofing not working isn't her fault.

Headache.

.......2) it is going to be expensive which, she already said, I will have to cover because she only overlaid the tiles and so, waterproofing not working isn't her fault.

Headache.

waterproofing? this has gt nothing to do wif waterproofing fault. if it is waterproofing fault, it would be ur downstairs neighbour who'll be knocking in ur door.

i'm inclined to think tt this is her tiler's fault for not ensuring that the cement screed is sloped towards the water drainage hole, before laying your toilet floor tiles.

if u spend a whole day observing a tiler at work, u'll notice that they do not really use their spirit level to ensure that the floor slopes towards the drainage hole, whether in the toilet or the kitchen, or wherever there's a water drainage hole. nobody does it actually. tt's why u see puddles of water collecting here and there everytime the floor is wet. small puddles over a large surface area is ok. but i think urs is a bit too much. if it's normal puddle, shld hv evaporated by 12hrs. so urs prob not puddle, but rather a mini-pond....

reason wif ur contractor la. tell her if it's waterproofing fault, water would seep down, not rise to the top and form puddles. but before u do that, go and buy a spirit level and check the levelness of ur toilet floor. if it is flat and level, ask her to come and see for herself.

waterproofing? this has gt nothing to do wif waterproofing fault. if it is waterproofing fault, it would be ur downstairs neighbour who'll be knocking in ur door.

i'm inclined to think tt this is her tiler's fault for not ensuring that the cement screed is sloped towards the water drainage hole, before laying your toilet floor tiles.

if u spend a whole day observing a tiler at work, u'll notice that they do not really use their spirit level to ensure that the floor slopes towards the drainage hole, whether in the toilet or the kitchen, or wherever there's a water drainage hole. nobody does it actually. tt's why u see puddles of water collecting here and there everytime the floor is wet. small puddles over a large surface area is ok. but i think urs is a bit too much. if it's normal puddle, shld hv evaporated by 12hrs. so urs prob not puddle, but rather a mini-pond....

reason wif ur contractor la. tell her if it's waterproofing fault, water would seep down, not rise to the top and form puddles. but before u do that, go and buy a spirit level and check the levelness of ur toilet floor. if it is flat and level, ask her to come and see for herself.

hey good point. nobody has come upstairs to complain about leaks. ok, i'll borrow a spirit level (had to google what it meant) and see how it goes. could it also be that the cement between the tiles is not done properly, so, the water is leaking between the tiles to the area between my new tiles and the old tiles?

hey good point. nobody has come upstairs to complain about leaks. ok, i'll borrow a spirit level (had to google what it meant) and see how it goes. could it also be that the cement between the tiles is not done properly, so, the water is leaking between the tiles to the area between my new tiles and the old tiles?

Just remember....water flows down, not up. Your case is simple....they didn't do the job well with poor leveling of tiles.

:yamseng: