Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vratenza

Multiple Storage Heaters?

I was told by my ID after tearing down of my unit's toilet/kitchen false ceiling that there are 3 storage heater tanks in my unit! One tank to each toilet and kitchen!

Qns:

1) Can I and is it advisable to replace all 3 with one single large one?

2) If I expect myself to use only 1 tank daily and the other tanks occasionally, will the stale water in the unused tanks cause problems in the long run?

3) Was told that changing all to 1 is not possible due to "my unit being the old condo design". I always thought that it is simply a matter of re-running the pipings (which we are changing anyway).

thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

1) I personally won't because it takes more electricity to heat up a larger tank. You're heating up water that you don't need. Wasting electricity. Also, need to wait longer.

2) Dunno, but what I'd do is to leave my mixer pointed in the middle, so every time I turn on the tap, water is obtained both from the cold pipe and the heater tank.

3) Dunno, but is there enough space for 1 big tank? Or does the big tank require current beyond the max that the current wiring can provide?

1) I personally won't because it takes more electricity to heat up a larger tank. You're heating up water that you don't need. Wasting electricity. Also, need to wait longer.

I agree with your point and it is a concern for me as well. But I'm also concern about having 2 out of 3 storage heater tanks that are used very infrequently. Is there any issue the stagnant water in the storage heater tanks for prolonged periods of time say more than 2-3 weeks at a stretch?

2) Dunno, but what I'd do is to leave my mixer pointed in the middle, so every time I turn on the tap, water is obtained both from the cold pipe and the heater tank.

That will also just draw water from the single tank that is linked to the shower point right? The other 2 tanks will remain "inactive" and that is a concern for me as highlighted in point (1)

3) Dunno, but is there enough space for 1 big tank? Or does the big tank require current beyond the max that the current wiring can provide?

I have loads of space above my false ceiling due to mine being the top floor unit of a development with a slanted roof design.

I am re-wiring the whole house as well, so I think the power load issue can be resolved by the electrical guys?

I agree with your point and it is a concern for me as well. But I'm also concern about having 2 out of 3 storage heater tanks that are used very infrequently. Is there any issue the stagnant water in the storage heater tanks for prolonged periods of time say more than 2-3 weeks at a stretch?

That will also just draw water from the single tank that is linked to the shower point right? The other 2 tanks will remain "inactive" and that is a concern for me as highlighted in point (1)

I have loads of space above my false ceiling due to mine being the top floor unit of a development with a slanted roof design.

I am re-wiring the whole house as well, so I think the power load issue can be resolved by the electrical guys?

Are your toilets far from each other? cos if they are, by the time the water from the storage tank reaches the furthest toilet, it would be cooled down, and the flow is also pathetic :(.

how about using instant heaters for the 2 toilets that are less frequently used?

Are your toilets far from each other? cos if they are, by the time the water from the storage tank reaches the furthest toilet, it would be cooled down, and the flow is also pathetic :(.

how about using instant heaters for the 2 toilets that are less frequently used?

i prefer the clean look of storage heater as i can hide them in my false ceiling.

I understand your point about the source of hot water being far from the tap...hmm...think i'll get the separate heaters then...just cross my fingers it will not rust on me