Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
user123

Led Strips As Cove Light

Hi,

Anybody don mind sharing their contacts with me for the LED strip deal? im intending to DIY my new nest too.

Huiwen87@yhaoo.com.sg

Thanks in advance.

sometime i will travel to China for business trip, planning to buy 5050 LED strip (warm white) from China and handcarry back which cost me S$5 per meter, is so much cheaper than SG.

i can sell to you short length to try but depend on my next trip ,you need to do some wire soldering then connect to driver.

last month i bought 1 meter and the transformer to try up, so far so good, thats y i am going to buy more.... .

you can customise the length by cutting it at "RGB" copper colour line , do soldering connect to Red black wire....then connect to transformer.

below image

72981871.jpg

ledstrip.jpg

Edited by happystar

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi guys,

I'm building a wall mounted lighting fixture and I want to use LED strips in it. And I'm looking for a small/compact driver to power up the LEDs that can be hidden in my light fixture? I only need a very small amp one as I'm using very few LEDs.

I went around all the shops in Sim Lim tower and they only have big metal ones or the "laptop power" type. So I searched online and found this... Where is this available in Singapore?

http://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/Accessories-Lamps-transformers/Control-Gear-for-LED-lamps/Ultra_Compact_350mA_LED_Driver_1-3w.htm

Compact_1w_LED_driver.jpg

Hi guys,

I'm building a wall mounted lighting fixture and I want to use LED strips in it. And I'm looking for a small/compact driver to power up the LEDs that can be hidden in my light fixture? I only need a very small amp one as I'm using very few LEDs.

I went around all the shops in Sim Lim tower and they only have big metal ones or the "laptop power" type. So I searched online and found this... Where is this available in Singapore?

http://www.lightingstyles.co.uk/Accessories-Lamps-transformers/Control-Gear-for-LED-lamps/Ultra_Compact_350mA_LED_Driver_1-3w.htm

Compact_1w_LED_driver.jpg

im sell that at $16.70 per transformers

Are you guys happy with the LED colour? For my new place, we considered LED lights for both the cove lights as well as down lights. But my wife did not like the colour of the "warm white". They look more orangy and artificial. Not "warm" as compared to T5 or halogen warm white. But if you taking white LED, seems like no problem.

Also, although the LED lights consume much less electricity, does the fact that the power goes through a transformer affect the consumption and somehow negate the savings in electricity consumption?

hi hi, my ID quoted me $110 for light point for LED strip/cove light with installation and another $110 for light point for LED stripe below the top hung cabinet. May I know if this is reasonable?

hi hi, my ID quoted me $110 for light point for LED strip/cove light with installation and another $110 for light point for LED stripe below the top hung cabinet. May I know if this is reasonable?

not sure but I think maybe u can take picture and show it to outside shops and ask for pricing to compare?

Guest Vincent Lee

Are you guys happy with the LED colour? For my new place, we considered LED lights for both the cove lights as well as down lights. But my wife did not like the colour of the "warm white". They look more orangy and artificial. Not "warm" as compared to T5 or halogen warm white. But if you taking white LED, seems like no problem.

Also, although the LED lights consume much less electricity, does the fact that the power goes through a transformer affect the consumption and somehow negate the savings in electricity consumption?

Yes, I concur that your wife is correct in saying LED are more artificial because one of the most overlooked disadvantaged of LED is actually the CRI which means that it does not reflect the "correct" colour compared to halogen. Sunlight is 100 while Halogen is about 98 -99 and LED usually in the 60 - 80. I cannot differentiate green from blue under LED lightings but no problem under Halogen. Although there are some manufacturers of LED claiming CRI of 98 but I have not tried that and even if that is true, I believed that the lumen will be super low due to many filters being applied. Until LED can evolve to that stage with higher CRI and lumen as mainstream, I am sticking to Halogen as my preferred light source.

I have moved in for about 2 years now, so I can share my experience with LED lighting. As you can read from my blog, I used LED for most of my lighting.

Colour wise, the LED warm light is not too bad. I have no problems with it.

LED does not give off heat. When I used halogen, I recall it was quite hot in some places.

Electricity consumption wise, I cannot tell. As I am not able to compare with similar amount of halogen or other lights. But I assume there should be savings.

Failure. This is the most distressing part. Although it is true that LED lights fail less often that other types of lights (halogen, energy saving etc), they do fail. So far, some of my LED lights did fail and when they fail, getting them repaired is troublesome and in some cases, a disaster. The problem is that most of the time (in my case all of the time) it is the driver that fails. And you cannot buy drivers the way you buy a halogen or energy saving light bulb. You need to go back to the shop. So far I have been able to buy replacements but what if the shop closes. The other problem is that for my LED downlight, in order to retrieve the driver I need to remove the entire light casing. Of course when I remove it, parts of the ceiling board comes down. It is a real disaster. When I am less annoyed, I will post more details on my blog.

The above is for LED lights fixtures. For LED cove lights, I have no problems, whether with colour or anything else. They look fine. But of course, the "throw" is shorter.

Edited by Ks Toh

• Like 1