Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dribee

Weasel Contractor, Unassertive Hdb Guy

After above HDB unit's renovation, both my bathroom ceilings are leaking water badly .

Contractor had no choice but to admit fault and bear 100% repair costs.

Even though contractor attempted to take short cut by doing stop-gap surface 'patch', twice, the leak continues.

Now, he is trying to weasel out of the obvious need to knock out tiles to do re-waterproofing.

And, even though is it obvious RESTORATIVE work needs to be done to redo breeched waterproofing membrane, HDB guy handling case who saw how bad the leak was, does not want to specify to contractor the type of restoration work needed to make good.

So I have no choice but to fall back on rules and policies?

Anyone knows?

Can't locate any info on hdb website.

Annoyed.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
After above HDB unit's renovation, both my bathroom ceilings are leaking water badly .

Even though contractor attempted to take short cut by doing stop-gap surface 'patch', twice, the leak continues.

Now, he is trying to weasel out of the obvious need to knock out tiles to do re-waterproofing.

And, even though is it obvious RESTORATIVE work needs to be done to redo breeched waterproofing membrane, HDB guy handling case who saw how bad the leak was, does not want to specify to contractor the type of restoration work needed to make good.

Anyone knows?

Annoyed.

that sounds bad. did they give any guarantee or warranty which safeguard the waterproofing membrane? if yes, i think they will need to restore it back for u

by the way.. any idea how long shd we get the warranty for waterproofing?

i just did a complete overhaul... and my fren advised me to ensure the contractor provide waterproofing warranty.. I need to speak to him before i give him my final payment... so just wondering if anyone has that in the contract and what are the terms like...

e.g.

- warranty all restorative works including.. labour.. materials... etc..

Anyone knows?

Annoyed.

When you signed the quotation given by the contractor, is it itemised and is there any mention of waterproofing that's supposed to be done? If yes, then he is wholly responsible for the rectification works since he messed up. i.e the waterproofing wasn't done properly after he hacked the floor tiles.

This is from HDB website

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/...cument#Bathroom

Technical Terms and Conditions - Floor

1. Waterproofing treated pre-packed cement screed or waterproofing membrane must be used in bathroom/toilets areas before laying of new floor tiles. Membrane should be upturned (up to 150 mm) against the walls, kerbs and pipes. For kitchen, the waterproofing membrane is only required around the sanitary stacks for an area of a radius 400mm.

2. Flat owner and registered renovation contractor are advised to conduct a water test to bath/toilet upon completing the replacement of floor finishes.

If the contractor has breached HDB's guidelines, can be fined up to $5,000

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/...es?OpenDocument

Do remember to take photos with all the leaks (try to put the date on the photos) and keep them for records.

If contractor still doesn't do proper rectification works, tell him that you are going to complain to CASE and file against him in Small Claims Court. I don't think he'll want to go thru the hassle of turning up in court, not to mention what it will do to his HDB contractor's license.

blue_skies,

TS is not the one doing reno.

It is his 1 floor above neigbour do reno and their contractor didn't do the waterproof properly.

Now, his bathroom ceiling raining.

At first, I also wondering and don't understand how come reno got do ceiling until leaking one.

Until I read slowly and notice this "After above HDB unit's renovation"

blue_skies,

TS is not the one doing reno.

It is his 1 floor above neigbour do reno and their contractor didn't do the waterproof properly.

Now, his bathroom ceiling raining.

At first, I also wondering and don't understand how come reno got do ceiling until leaking one.

Until I read slowly and notice this "After above HDB unit's renovation"

OH! It's horrible to be in that position. When you sit on toilet bowl to do business, have to carry umbrella. Been through that before. Nothing can describe the frustration....

I would call up HDB everyday to tell them of the "daily trauma" and constantly remind my neighbour upstairs until they get it fixed!!