Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
january

Door/window Grilles Design Guidelines

I want to install a nice metal door gate for my apartment, but this mgmt has "design guidelines" for the gate which, frankly, I don't want to follow because it's ugly.

I understand the design guidelines for window grilles as they can be seen from the outside of the building and it is nicer to have a standardised look. But what's the reasoning for door gates? It wouldn't affect the outer facade of the building in any way. I don't think it is fair for them to have the same design restrictions on door gates and window grilles.

If I were to go ahead and install a gate whose design is not approved by the mgmt, they apparently can and will remove it by force. Do they have a right to do that? Please advise. I'd rather not get into a dispute with the mgmt; at the same time I want a nice looking gate.

Edited by january

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Some condos are "less strict" than others. You could take a walk through your condo to see what has been put up. If you see wide variations, and especially if the gates don't look new, then chances are the management isn't strict and you may be able to get away with it.

Personally though, I think its logical to have such by-laws for anything external of the unit to perserve the overall look of the condo, whether it is on the outside of the building, or just facing one neighbouring unit. I wouldn't want to look at a bright pink door every time I come out or go into my apartment, even if my neighbour thinks its nice and goes with her interior decor. :D