Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
endlssorrow

Led Vs Normal

Hello experts...

i wann gain more knowledge thus asking these stuipd questions:

1) Now latest technology they come up with LED right?

2) Then those normal is called what?

3) The difference is the bulb only right? LED bulb vs normal bulb?

4) I checked the price is like normal bulb costs $18 then LED bulb costs $80? But both can fix onto the electricial point. Thus the point can accpet either LED or normal type right? It will not damage the point right?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

normal bulb = screw in/plug in and switch on.

LED bulb = need to connect to transformer, and transformer wired to switch. so if u're thinking of just swapping your old bulbs wif LED bulbs, it's not that straight-forward.

typical fluorescent tube = need ballast

T4, T5 tubes = built-in ballast

LED tubes = still very new. dunno much abt them yet, but i presume they'll also nd some sort of transformer, whether external or built-in.

Things you should know about LED when compared to PLC...

1) Usually not as bright, good for areas that do not need to be very bright

2) Usually one "bulb" contains many LEDs. If any LEDs spoil, you can either leave it or change the whole bulb. You cannot change the LED alone (i.e. wastage)

3) LEDs are usually much more expensive

4) Some LEDs do not need driver/ballast, so you don't need to wait for the flickering to stop when you switch the lights on. But some lights from Philips have that too.

Just sharing from what I've found out when comparing PLC and LED downlights. If you are referring to other type of LED, it could be different.

Brightness has much to do with the design of the optics of the light. The fact is that various lights are built for different applications. For example, utility light requires wide coverage and even illumination, spotlight requires focused beam with crisp light and good colour rendering index. it takes a harmonious combination of appropriate brightness, beam pattern, optical property and colour temperature to achieve the best lighting effect in your home. Absence of any of these elements is going to affect the final outcome of the lighting.

PLC are bright when brandnew, but brightness level drops more rapidly as it ages while high quality LED is able to sustain its lux level at a mere 2-3% drop per year. There is certainly nothing wrong with PLc and fluorescent light, they are bright and cheap, but lack brilliance and richness in the light quality. At the end of the day, in lighting application, the owner or the designer should leverage on the strength of each type of light source to maximize their benefits:

>PLC/ FL for less frequently used places such as utility/store room/balcony;

>LED cove and spotlight for heavily utilized locations such as living/dining room and bedroom;

>choose suitable brightness for your home - living room, kitchen are to be made bright; bedroom and kids room lighting should be made relaxing and cozy.

>Blend in multiple layers of lighting to cater to different need for brightness at different time of the day and enhance the texture and interior of the house.

In terms of brightness, LED chip is effectively like your computer memory. High quality LED chips retain its brightness and colour for many year under heavy usage. They will become dimmer as time goes by, but simply do not die. To a large extent, the Quality of the power supply and heat management determines the lifespan of the LED. A reliable DC LED driver with inbuilt surge protection and short circuit protection shall ensure years of service. In the event of any power surge, the light is always protected with the driver bearing the impact.

Hence, when choosing LED lighting, give favour to those that come with separate power supply and modular fixture, so in the event of failure, you can just replace each individual component rather than the entire set.

Just my 2 cent worth of opinion.

Hey Collins,

You're an expert!! :thumbs up: Can you enlighten me what's lumens and gus? I was doing some research on LED light bulbs and came across this two terms...

Lumens is the total amount of light energy which is given off from the lighting.

Regarding to Soichiro's comment on LED

1) LED nowadays are surprisingly bright. I have installed some low powered LED lamps now and is very satisfied compare to my old fluorescent. Lower energy, less heat, no ultraviolet and best of all long lifespan.

2) You can change the LED bulb if anyone of the little tiny bulb is damaged but it will take some effort. I am a electronic trained engineer; there is nothing that cannot be repaired. I agree it is not easy for a typical user.

3) LED is getting cheaper nowadays; in fact I brought mine for my bath room and toilet. Tha lamps cost only $30-40++

4) Some LED lamps has integrated driver, some has external driver. External driver is easier to be repaired.

All LED lamps that I have seen are flicker free. LED is unlike fluorescent where they have a flickering starter to start up the tube.