Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Sadly

Lessons I Am Learning

Though I have done several renovation to my existing apartment and office, I am learning a lot more this time. I am renovating a second hand apartment that I bought towards the end of 2010. I had wanted to use the ID I have been using for the last 20 years but he has retired. So I went searching for another ID.

After talking to several IDs recommended by different friends, I decided on one whose design was closer to what we had in mind. But the journey has just begun.

Edited by Sadly

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Lesson #1: we agreed on the design based on the floor plan sketch and the 3D sketches. We did not insist on scale drawings though our previous ID had always given us detailed drawings. This was the first mistake. When we did the site meeting and started measuring and putting the design to measurement, we found quite a lot of discrepancies. What was 2 sets of drawers and 2 door cupboards ended up being 1 set of drawer and 1 door cupboard.

Lesson to be learnt: have detailed drawings with full measurements. This will provide a better perspective of what the design looks as the finished product.

Lesson #2: Dont' trust the measurements provided by the ID. Do you own measuring. We found out the hard way when we went shopping for sanitary ware with the ID. We bought a basin for the bathroom based on the measurements that our ID gave to us, only to find that when we went back to the site - the tiler told us that the basin was too big for the space. Had to return and shop for another basin. What a waste of time and energy!

Lesson #3 : Visit the site frequently - at least every other day. Many details will be missed if you only see the final product. On each visit, review the work done and do not be afraid to ask questions. Some silly questions have major consequences.

Example : we noticed that the newly tiled floor was level with the entrance. The contractor had raised the floors of the toilets and kitchen without consulting us. This means if we splash water to wash the toilet/kitchen, it will flow into the next room! We had to call a site meeting to try and work around the issue. Of the problem was caused by initially by our failure to be specific about what we wanted (next lesson).

Quite true.. A lot of things to learn when doing renovation.. A lot of things cannot too trust the contractor as they normally let their worker do the job..

Lesson #3 : Visit the site frequently - at least every other day. Many details will be missed if you only see the final product. On each visit, review the work done and do not be afraid to ask questions. Some silly questions have major consequences.

Strongly agree. make sure problems dun snowball and no cascading mistakes. :rolleyes:

Of the problem was caused by initially by our failure to be specific about what we wanted (next lesson).

Being specific is good, but sometimes we just don't know enough to be specific, and it should be the ID or contractor's duty to probe and advise. But sometimes no matter how specific you are, they just don't listen. Because they don't want to think of the difficult stuff. I think most contractors are like that.

Hi Sadly,

I couldn't agree with you more ! Just to relate lesson 3 (visit the site frequently)

I did my first house renovation after living in house for 10 years.

The ID was ok. We had all the detail drawings with measurements.

Our problems was more on the capentry workmanship not up to standard. The kitchen cabinet doors was not even. The master bedroom wardrobe has gaps when closing etc etc. I refused to accept it and they eventually fixed it.

Absolutely nothing but true, Sadly!

Be as specific as you can, BUT they can still claim they are not informed. That is the problem. All they will say is "YOU WANT TO CHANGE, YOU PAY FOR ALL LABOUR AND MATERIAL"

:furious:

And yes, monitor the progress closely. The thing is when we discover something is wrong and we highlight to them, first question they ask is whether you can accept it.

Truely tons of lessons learnt and the list continues.

Some so-called ID do not have design sense and insisted the error made is nice and nothing is wrong.

Reno is never 100% fine. There are bound to be corrections needed. But i believe customers just want on time handover and according to what we have discussed and accurate delivery. Things went wrong, we just want rectification and can close case and not slam the charges at us when they made the error.