Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
idealistic

Unforgettable ~~

Hi Idealistic!

Tks for yr pm..Yes, I am reading most reno-t-blog here...

I think no one will really believe me if I said that I dunno any ID or what contractor in my profession. The truth is I dun even want referral or anything so I dun keep contacts with all these firms. Even my fellow colleagues who worked with some also faced problems..I believe word of mouth and some luck does play a part.

When I did my minor reno 7yrs ago, my contractor also introduced by my so call fren in this trade and gave me **** lots of problems...One incident was, I wanted maroon and they painted pink panther pink and told me that catalogue and actual colours differs alot...

I was a suspicious and called ICI. Please take note that if you found that the colours differs alot from the catalogue and the wall, ICI can send someone to test the paint! They told me it was FOC at that time. I dunno about it now though. However, my contractors got scared and quickly repainted while before that they kept insisting it was ICI paint and the colour was right till I told them not to argue anymore and wait for the ICI testers...

For now, I am thinking to engage ID cos my layout wasnt nice with a odd shape living room. This will b the 2nd reno cos I do not plan to upgrade anymore and my twin boys are in secondary liao so I hope they can have a proper bedroom each.

I am still in the process of selecting IDs and getting rather frustrated. I am not as savvy as all of you here so I shall try to blog when I figure out how. My work is piling up also and I am planning to rush for June reno. This might b impossible cos haven even started packing yet. I will b shifting to my mum place to stay during the renovation work is carried out.

I hope you will solve yr problems quickly...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
CARPENTRY STAGE

This is a closed up view of our console from 3D design.

5494570152_f222f44173.jpg

We came up with the console design before renovation started. There is no changes ever since then.

While we are approaching the carpentry stage during reno, out of the blue, during final confirmation on carpentry, he told us something shocking.

First reaction upon hearing that is "WHAT?" "TOP UP AGAIN?"

He told us that our console is not like what it looks like in this 3D design. There is no aluminium frame and the glass portion is smaller. It looks something like the one below

5493977123_2abd4770de.jpg

If we want the one in 3D, there is additional charge of $180. He can even say that based on our design of the whole feature wall, the console will definitely look nicer in this. Of cos, that is OUR design, needless to say since that is what we want all along.

This is what contract stated:

"Design & fabricate suspended tv / players console in laminate finish c/w glass panel"

Knowing that we will refer to the contract, he can even mention that it is not stated in the contract. <<a true example of playing with words in contract>>

ADVICE TO ALL: Make sure contract is listed in details on material used etc. On our side, we have missed out the aluminium frame and this is what happens.

After our strong objection, he dropped the price unwillingly to $100.

Bottom line is why are we not being notified upfront when the design is confirmed before renovation starts. BUT only informed when carpentry work is near. And it comes with a hefty top-up of $180 for the aluminium frame :furious:

hi bro, beware there are afew type of aluminium frame, in your 3D, the framing around the perimeter is thin so it will look nice but in real world, they may not be able to source the same requirement. ask your fake ID to specified the dimension before agreeing the top up. is the doors sliding or flip down version?

Edited by Heronspring

hi bro, beware there are afew type of aluminium frame, in your 3D, the framing around the perimeter is thin so it will look nice but in real world, they may not be able to source the same requirement. ask your fake ID to specified the dimension before agreeing the top up. is the doors sliding or flip down version?

the doors are flip down version.

anything can be solved, just a matter of money, even if it is not our mistake.. :curse:

pay to get things right

With so many of our friends/colleagues/relatives renovating homes or in process of getting keys etc, our experience really serves as a great sharing topic of common interest

Edited by idealistic

Up to this point, we are pretty pissed off by then. And requested for variation report to find out the final figure after omitting some items on our side and the top-up he charged

Have mentioned earlier in this blog that there is 5% discount on grand total for customers who sign up during first appointment.

After seeing the variation report, realised that the 5% discount is removed for some of the additional items. :furious:

Isn't this a contract term?? So it even makes one worries if they will honour the 5 years warranty in contract.

For instance, one of the items added is ledge table with solid surface at kitchen area. During first meetup, he knows that we want something like that which can be extended or push in when not in used. We agree to hold this and decide on later part as he cannot come up with any idea yet at that moment.

Eventually, we just settle down with a fixed ledge table. And now being part of the additional item as well, no 5% is granted.

It is soooo amusing to know how much the 5% on additional items is.

The items consists of

-- top-up for ---> tiles, laminates, aluminium door for console

-- clearing of debris

-- ledge table with solid surface

And is far to even reach $100

Edited by idealistic

Cool down.... is everything rectified already or not yet?

yup, rectified. some just live with it..

see that your reno has started finally! It will soon be over, unlike mine spanning from Nov 2010 to Mar 2011 --- 4 monthsssssssssssss

Reno stages continues:

Here is our Walk-In-Wardrobe. Another "outsourced" item, ie not done by our contractor. Their quote is always by per foot run. Do not match with our requirement as what we need is hanging bar and hanging bar does not cost that high compared to drawers.

Did not do much research on pole system. Selected a reputable company with reasonable pricing.

5558988938_8c7fe9c30b.jpg

5558408069_9b99a9711e.jpg

Can feel your frustrations. I was feeling sleepy until I read your T-blog, now i m fully awaked and taking down the points u mention, cos I hv not signed with any ID yet.

Can feel your frustrations. I was feeling sleepy until I read your T-blog, now i m fully awaked and taking down the points u mention, cos I hv not signed with any ID yet.

It depends on luck also :) even after we have spoken to quite a few contractors and have done some homework, we still face problems with ours.

Everyone can tell that all the problems do not lie with us and not initiated by us.

If at all for those who have signed up with them, take out the painting work from the package or quotation.

The painters they engaged cannot make it. Attitude is fine but not for the skill and equipment used.

Just take one instance, after re-plastering our living room ceiling which is one of the rectification works, the contractor get the painter to repaint the ceiling.

After repainting, can see little spots which resemble rough surface when the cove light shines on it. It means the roller brush which the painter used has exceeded the life span and did not change for a long time.

We are drained off by the whole reno process and closed the loop with our contractor. So we just live on with it...

Reno stages continues:

Here is our Walk-In-Wardrobe. Another "outsourced" item, ie not done by our contractor. Their quote is always by per foot run. Do not match with our requirement as what we need is hanging bar and hanging bar does not cost that high compared to drawers.

Did not do much research on pole system. Selected a reputable company with reasonable pricing.

5558988938_8c7fe9c30b.jpg

5558408069_9b99a9711e.jpg

Everything is good until they installed the door for the entrance.

The door is installed on different day with the pole system due to wrong sizing of door, missing track.

The workers who came to do the door installation did not place any protector on the floor.

We have made a strong highlight to the sales person to be caution with our parquet flooring and she has noted it down in the invoice too.

It looks a simple job but ended up with a floor full of scratches

5559928157_b424f2e675.jpg

5559928073_dd9537a0f9.jpg

Upon knowing that, the sales person notified the management without delay.

The manager visits on-site, investigates the situation and apologies to us. We come to a compromise and settle the issue.

Overall review is still ok with their service recovery. And will consider to return for future purchase.

It is far better than someone who offers no solution or shouts at us.

Edited by idealistic

NEXT STAGE: AIRCON & REWIRING

5461055181_ae8dedbf45.jpg

Time for Aircon trunking! Above pic is view from MBR. On the right used to be storeroom and is converted to WIW. The original door is sealed and new entrance is created.

For aircon installation, sometimes is really up to your luck. The skill of the worker who install plays a big role rather than the brand of aircon you choose.

When we install the aircon unit which is after painting work, there is a gap between the wall and unit for the MBR. The worker came and made it worse, keep insisting it is like that and is because our wall is not straight. In the end, he seeked his manager's help. His manager's attitude is good and well-mannered. After inspecting, he worked on it without delay.

Finally, it is done and is much more acceptable and not as bad as what his worker has done.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As for our electrician work, we did not engage our contractor's electrician due to high pricing.

After we come to this decision, our contractor started giving reasons and examples for using his own electrician, telling us the negatives of engaging outsider.

Of cos we understand the importance of electrician work, thus we ensure that the one we chosen is well qualified and approved.

Overall review of our electrician is GOOD. :yamseng:

They do not push blame around. Any problem, they use their expertise to solve it.

Lights installation is free if lights are bought from them.

Unlimited trip to install your lightings.

Service excellent.

Hi,

Can pm me your electrician's contact no?

Thanks! :) Emobebe

Everything is good until they installed the door for the entrance.

The door is installed on different day with the pole system due to wrong sizing of door, missing track.

The workers who came to do the door installation did not place any protector on the floor.

We have made a strong highlight to the sales person to be caution with our parquet flooring and she has noted it down in the invoice too.

It looks a simple job but ended up with a floor full of scratches

5559928157_b424f2e675.jpg

5559928073_dd9537a0f9.jpg

Upon knowing that, the sales person notified the management without delay.

The manager visits on-site, investigates the situation and apologies to us. We come to a compromise and settle the issue.

Overall review is still ok with their service recovery. And will consider to return for future purchase.

It is far better than someone who offers no solution or shouts at us.

I can feel your frustration by reading your reno T-blog and congrats! you have resolved amicably!

I feel grateful to you by sharing this to us especially to me cos I a bit blur type. A lot of stuff I never think of but it really happen. Will take note of your tips.

P.S. I will start my reno T-blog after getting my key and choose the ID/Contractor.

Cheers:) Emobebe

yup, rectified. some just live with it..

see that your reno has started finally! It will soon be over, unlike mine spanning from Nov 2010 to Mar 2011 --- 4 monthsssssssssssss

So yours are all done?? Show some finished photos leh.... hehehe....

hhmm.... mine quite fast now... not sure whether it will be as fast as it continue on....

So yours are all done?? Show some finished photos leh.... hehehe....

hhmm.... mine quite fast now... not sure whether it will be as fast as it continue on....

ya.. updating here in progress.. going with the reno flow accordingly :)