Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
robos4

About To Buy Penthouse In Condo - Need Help Fast

Hi All,

New to forum (and new to buying a property).

It's almost become a full time job.. (pheww)

We have found potentially the perfect place for us.. It's a 2 story penthouse where the top floor is 100% rooftop terrace (about 1200sqft I believe). Upon inspection of the first floor (living space) there is 3 major brown stains on the ceiling.. (one stain is so bad water droplets have gone through and hit the floor)

The place has huge potential (which is what we like and will one day renovate it).

I foudn the building management and after being advised from some friends, I called them and was informed this is the building managements responsibility.. They confrmed there is a few projects about to happen in the condo (including fresh paint of the whole building).

I can imagine the job to waterproof the roof is huge (lifting tiles on roof, water proof, new tiles and then re-do false ceilings in first floor)

I guess my question is - would all of this be covered bty building management? Or would they just come in and want to paint the ceiling? (worst case)

Thanks in advance.

Rob

Edited by robos4

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Your friends are wrong.

If the roof terrace belongs to u, then it is your responsibility.

Even in interfloor leaks, it is joint ownership between up and down. Since u own the floor above, as well as the ceiling below, then it's 100% yours.

If the roof terrace is common property, then it is the MCST problem.

Hi All,

New to forum (and new to buying a property).

It's almost become a full time job.. (pheww)

We have found potentially the perfect place for us.. It's a 2 story penthouse where the top floor is 100% rooftop terrace (about 1200sqft I believe). Upon inspection of the first floor (living space) there is 3 major brown stains on the ceiling.. (one stain is so bad water droplets have gone through and hit the floor)

The place has huge potential (which is what we like and will one day renovate it).

I foudn the building management and after being advised from some friends, I called them and was informed this is the building managements responsibility.. They confrmed there is a few projects about to happen in the condo (including fresh paint of the whole building).

I can imagine the job to waterproof the roof is huge (lifting tiles on roof, water proof, new tiles and then re-do false ceilings in first floor)

I guess my question is - would all of this be covered bty building management? Or would they just come in and want to paint the ceiling? (worst case)

Thanks in advance.

Rob

I believe the rooftop terrace you mentioned belongs to that particular unit (and not a common area)? If so, when you buy that penthouse unit (with a rooftop), the maintenance of the rooftop terrace is effectively your responsibility. As such, the management committee would be reluctant to spend that sort of money to repair "your unit", and you might end up having to foot the repair costs yourself.

I am not sure how old is the condo unit you are looking at, but most developers will have a warranty on waterproofing etc for X no of years after TOP. Before you decide to purchase that place, I think you should call the developer to check and confirm whether the repair costs would be borne by them. I wouldn't trust the management on their words. The developer has the final say at the end of the day.

If developer says that they will not foot repair costs, and you still really like the unit (and don't mind repairing it), then try knocking down the price by another 5-7% and tell the seller you have checked with developer and you need to pay a huge amt to repair the rooftop. I'm guessing the owner is selling the place because he doesn't want to repair the rooftop.

Good luck :)

The developer will not entertain the 2nd & subsequent owner, even within so-called liability period. Under S&P, the warranty is established between 1st owner & developer. In other words, warranty voids automatically as long as there is a ownership transfer from 1st owner to another. Resale pte property buyer must be aware of this.

Under MCST, MC is responsible for "common property" only. Yoongf is correct.

I am not sure how old is the condo unit you are looking at, but most developers will have a warranty on waterproofing etc for X no of years after TOP. Before you decide to purchase that place, I think you should call the developer to check and confirm whether the repair costs would be borne by them. I wouldn't trust the management on their words. The developer has the final say at the end of the day.
Edited by bepgof

The developer will not entertain the 2nd & subsequent owner, even within so-called liability period. Under S&P, the warranty is established between 1st owner & developer. In other words, warranty voids automatically as long as there is a ownership transfer from 1st owner to another. Resale pte property buyer must be aware of this.

:o I'm not aware of this.

Thanks bepgof

WOW,

So glad I posted on this forum.. You have all been a great help.. Thank you.

Now that said, the roof top being mine (not common property) is aprox 1200 - 1400 sqft. The development went TOP in 2004..

Can anyone give me more detail and information around the procss involved in fixing such leaks? (process and rough idea on cost) I'm guessing this would cost more than 50k!!

I'm going back again today with a contractor (luckily they allowed it).

I'll take pics and post them later..

Thanks again

Rob

EDIT - just received confirmation the developer gave a 10 year warranty for any roof leaks (phew) and the building management is in the process of working with developer to have it fixed!

I assume at this point, when I make the offer on the property the terms are stated the roof must be fixed as it's under warratny before I move in..

Thoughts?

Edited by robos4

Better check properly whether it is refer to "roof terrace", or just "roof". If "roof"(structural in nature) it could refer to the circumference of the buildup which causes leakage to external of building, or into windows.

Defects warranties usually won't last for 10 years. Workmanship may.

Good to put this remark in OTP, holds seller responsible.

EDIT - just received confirmation the developer gave a 10 year warranty for any roof leaks (phew) and the building management is in the process of working with developer to have it fixed!

I assume at this point, when I make the offer on the property the terms are stated the roof must be fixed as it's under warratny before I move in..

Thoughts?

Edited by bepgof

Thought I would close this off,

As it turns out, I took initative and found out the building management for the condo, called them and asked as many questions as I could :)

The developer did give a 10 year warranty and because I took pictures of the leaks, I emailed to the management who then arranged a viewing with the devloper's waterproofer the following week. The good news is the 3 main leaks will all be fixed this coming week :)

The owners refused to have anythign to do with the leaks (as in putting it in the OTP T&C's) so lucky I contacted the management..

Now must start planning the interior design and renovations (have no idea where to start)

Cheers

Rob

Thought I would close this off,

As it turns out, I took initative and found out the building management for the condo, called them and asked as many questions as I could :)

The developer did give a 10 year warranty and because I took pictures of the leaks, I emailed to the management who then arranged a viewing with the devloper's waterproofer the following week. The good news is the 3 main leaks will all be fixed this coming week :)

The owners refused to have anythign to do with the leaks (as in putting it in the OTP T&C's) so lucky I contacted the management..

Now must start planning the interior design and renovations (have no idea where to start)

Cheers

Rob

Congrats! Glad to know that you managed to get the building mgmt and developer to fix the problem for you. Was this to your advantage where the negotiation of the selling price of the house?

If you can, send an email / letter to the developer to confirm their responsibility in the repair works. Something in black and white stating what repair works they would do to the unit, when the repair works would be completed, and how long these repair works are guranteed for. My experience with the developer of my condo is that they can promise a lot but may try to find the easy way out when problems happen again in the future.

Good luck with the renovations!