Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tom_kkh

Ok To Get Jb Id

I will not be getting and bank reno loan so i was thinking of getting a jb id to do up my house.

any one done it before?

workmanship and price ok?

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
I will not be getting and bank reno loan so i was thinking of getting a jb id to do up my house.

any one done it before?

Workmanship is the same as local ID also use malaysian worker, price definately cheaper

but there is some problem..who is going to apply hdb permit for renovation? since they do not legally own a business renovating in Singapore?

any one done it before?

Not recommended. I have friend whose friend engages a JB ID. Paid 50%, reno halfway, company closed down.

Here is my advice:

1) ID - Get from Singapore to be safe

2) Lighting - Can get from JB provided you can accept the risk as the no safety label. I get mine from SG because don't like JB's lighting design.

3) Ceiling Fan - All brands except KDK and Panasonice must get from Singapore because if any think wrong with the fan, still can call up.

- KDK and Panasonic ceiling fan can get from JB - Similar model price almost lower by 40% as they are made in MY. Both are also branded and therefore

lesser risk of problem

4) Furniture - Get from JB as most of the sofa and dining table and coffee table.... are all made from Malaysia. You will need to pay more in Singapore for the same

thing because of their higher rental, higher profit and higher cost of living.

5) Kitchen hob and hood, sink, bathroom accessories - Get from SG if you want better brand and quality. Get from MY if you only want the cheap one. Most of the FOC

stuffs from ID are these types of item. Guess what, they get all these from MY.

6) Electrical appliances - Get from SG. Much cheaper. JB people do come over Singapore to buy electrical appliances

Did I miss out any thing? Hope it helps.. ;)

I do not recommend JB ID although I got the JB carpenter to do my carpentry works. The price is cheaper like what I've shared on my blog, but they do have some bad habits which many cannot tolerate. I got no problem with my carpenter because he's my close friends, but when i intro him to my other friends, he got very bad comments like delay work, late during meeting etc.

Besides, my office was renovated by JB ID, I find their workmanship not good and very hard to get them rectify the problems afterwards. I think they are also not familiar with our SG legislation and structure of building. Example our toilet keep leaking, the JTC said is our renovator fault but the JB ID don't agree, so end up nobody want to accept responsibility, and we got to pay others to repair it.

If you want to save money, you can research the design you like and just get a contractor to do, like mine was designed by myself after copy and paste from magazine and online resources, I just get a main contractor to handle all the works for me.

I do not recommend JB ID although I got the JB carpenter to do my carpentry works. The price is cheaper like what I've shared on my blog, but they do have some bad habits which many cannot tolerate. I got no problem with my carpenter because he's my close friends, but when i intro him to my other friends, he got very bad comments like delay work, late during meeting etc.

Besides, my office was renovated by JB ID, I find their workmanship not good and very hard to get them rectify the problems afterwards. I think they are also not familiar with our SG legislation and structure of building. Example our toilet keep leaking, the JTC said is our renovator fault but the JB ID don't agree, so end up nobody want to accept responsibility, and we got to pay others to repair it.

If you want to save money, you can research the design you like and just get a contractor to do, like mine was designed by myself after copy and paste from magazine and online resources, I just get a main contractor to handle all the works for me.

Provided that your main contractor is good I guess?

Good luck for your reno, tom_kkh!

Provided that your main contractor is good I guess?

Good luck for your reno, tom_kkh!

Ya, my main contractor is very good, saved me $ and time. I completed my reno last year and had been staying in the house for a year :)

To be safe, get a Singaporean ID with a Singapore shop. Singaporean ID will still find JB contractor to do the reno due to lower cost. Getting a Singaporean ID is to give you an assurance so that you can still find him or her when you want to complain.