Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bepgof

Again The Singapore $1 Coin Story

Interesting finding… do u heard of such story……

http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/7182/95524354.png

Ever spotted the difference? I wonder how many of you noticed the differences between a more dated $1 coin and one that is more recently created. I’m sure most of us know that MM Lee is a believer of fengshui. Besides the octagonal shape of our $1 coin, there’s something else people missed out. Take a look at the close up of this coin dated 1990:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2129/35144086.png

That was how the back of our $1 coin looked. Notice the banner right above “1990″ and the invisible arc line formed between the animals’ heads – they are both arched downwards.

Remember the Asian Financial Crisis that happened back in 1997 which hit Singapore pretty badly?

It was said that MM Lee consulted a fengshui shi fu about what he could do to improve the situation caused by the Asian Financial Crisis, and the fengshui shi fu swiftly gave a solution, that is the change the way the back of the coin is designed.

The shi fu pointed out that the design resembled a sad face:

The Singaporeans are already so upset over the financial crisis, yet the $1 coin still has a sad looking face. How can?!! Change change change!” he said. And change we did. Take a look at the design on our 1997 coin:

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/1182/18816312.png

How does it look to you? It sure looks like a smiley face to me.

Now you tell me lah, fengshui is important, but what would we do in a world without designers?!

Edited by bepgof

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Just found a 1995 "simley face" $1 coin, so how the "smiley" coin helped sailed singapore through 1997 asia financial crisis was just a "makeup" story. Anyone knows the actual reason for the change from say to smiley?

Edited by bepgof

Whoa u r very the smart leh... and very observant!

I only bother about getting rid of my $1 coins becox they add on extra weight to my purse. Or I'll be counting the number of $1 coin in my piggy bank :)

No idea as to why the coin appearance changed. I think it had to do with fengshui. Unless the big boss gives the answer, otherwise, we can only speculate on the actual reason :P

Whoa u r very the smart leh... and very observant!

I only bother about getting rid of my $1 coins becox they add on extra weight to my purse. Or I'll be counting the number of $1 coin in my piggy bank :)

No idea as to why the coin appearance changed. I think it had to do with fengshui. Unless the big boss gives the answer, otherwise, we can only speculate on the actual reason :P

Same same here.....I usually grab from the 'coins bowl' one of $1 coin for the trolly at supermarket :lol:

Hi mae29,

it's been a long long time since I last logged in RT for reading through interesting threads :) Been busy conducting a mini-reno while we're staying put in the flat - it was quite a challenging experience! And we're keeping our fingers crossed that it's the first & last of such an experience.

Yeah, women would normally jux grab those coins & spend them... they are very conveniently squandered away becox of their size & weight. I always notice that those domestic maids would pay their phone cards with tonnes of these coins!

aside to bepgof, I noticed that the same applies for the 50-cent coins too! 1 smiley version & the other, sad "ah-pek" face.