Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
gts

Do Not Get Curtain From The 'Famous' Mr Chew

Do not get curtain from Mr Chew. Major attitude problem. Fixed a date with us to put up the curtain (we gave him more days than he asked for) but then when we called him recently, he told us he's very busy and need more days. When we try to reason with him in a calm manner, he just gave us attitude and say will try to rush for us, and hung up the phone. Very pissed off with him. Not recommended at all!!

• Like 1

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

R u referring to the same Mr Chew who free-lances with a van for curtain & roller blind making?

The curtain maker whose highly recommended by forumers?

The drawback about free-lancers is that it's based on trust as there is nothing in black and white. No aftersales service is expected too.

So u've got to be mentally prepared when u engage free-lancers.

I tried calling him a few times myself last month but the odd thing is that there is no ring tone to his mobile. Nothing came on the phone when we dialled his number.

So we decided to get our curtains from other ready made sources.

Edited by edenstrauss

Me too! Tried calling him early this month but he told me his schedule already packed and ask me to call him 2-3 weeks' time later. If i want to meet on weekends, have to wait 1 month wor :jawdrop:

.... so endup i got my curtains from Golden Leaf (which i would highly recommend)! Guess i'm lucky :yamseng:

Edited by hpoo

I think his business is very good so he couldn't cope. At least, he doesn't outsource or does he? Some contractors would still want to earn the $ even tho' their schedule are too tight to accomodate extras. So they might just accept the assignments & pass on the sewing to other sources. And the product might turn out to be different from the usual standards.

make an appointment with him 7 days in advance. take 1 day leave to wait for him. NEVER turn up, called his mobile nos 'no tone'.

you can be good and cheap but this really unacceptable and unprofessional. need i said more.... WTF.

I think his business is very good so he couldn't cope. At least, he doesn't outsource or does he? Some contractors would still want to earn the $ even tho' their schedule are too tight to accomodate extras. So they might just accept the assignments & pass on the sewing to other sources. And the product might turn out to be different from the usual standards.

make an appointment with him 7 days in advance. take 1 day leave to wait for him. NEVER turn up, called his mobile nos 'no tone'.

you can be good and cheap but this really unacceptable and unprofessional. need i said more.... WTF.

You wanna consider another curtain maker? He is my vendor. I work very closely with him. Have posted his contact earlier in this post... His name Laurence, 93201379.

If you need window solar film, can contact me @ 91268582

Cheers :)

My advise is Mr Chew is extremely horrible as he made me took leave 2 times and wait for him at home. We were suppose to meet wed 2pm and at 2pm i ring him to ask if he is reaching soon? He told me got to cancel as he is busy and stuck at another place today.

2nd time was the same too, i am so dead mad that he should have the basic manners to inform his customer in advance if he cannot make it. But not let his customers find out by calling him on the appointment timing.. Shees...

I REST MY CASE...

My advise is Mr Chew is extremely horrible as he made me took leave 2 times and wait for him at home. We were suppose to meet wed 2pm and at 2pm i ring him to ask if he is reaching soon? He told me got to cancel as he is busy and stuck at another place today.

2nd time was the same too, i am so dead mad that he should have the basic manners to inform his customer in advance if he cannot make it. But not let his customers find out by calling him on the appointment timing.. Shees...

Thank for all your valuable feedback. We were quoted a much higher quote by a highly recommended family-friend curtain maker so decided to try out luck to ask Mr Chew for a quote. We called him and made appt the following week early afternoon (try to avoid peak afterwork timing). To ensure he did turn up, I texted him in Mandarin and called 2 days before to confirm. Pleasantly surprised, he was early and brought A huge trolley of samples for selection.

Choosing materials was easy though, as we alr know what I needed, so I ask him to recommend the type of fabric to use. Everything else was a breeze. He did measurement in great detail. And to our delight, quoted us 25% cheaper than my previous quote by a recommended curtain maker. Of cos we confirmed straight away. He needed 10days to a week. Same as previous curtain maker.

Days before our installation day, I texted him (in mandarin) to confirm date n time. But a day before installation day, he called to ask if he cld come in afternn instead of morning as he has another house to go. We had shifting house in afternn so were not free and we asked if he wld like to come the following day. Mr Chew said he wld change the other house's apptmt instead as its better to install curtains before we moved the things in. Ya....everything is history. He came punctually, installed our blinds n curtains n did a great job cleaning up. There was great partnership btw mr chew n his wife and the pair moved swiftly and efficiently. He did not ans any call when he was doing work, and only returned the calls after work is done, and he is wrapping things up n chatting with us.

Should I be upset that he tried to change timing even though we had agreed 2 weeks bef? I certainly could, but come to think abt it, better he called to change appt than make us wait headlessly, only to be told excuses or that he was held up somewhere else.

On a whole, I was cautious n afraid that Mr Chew didn't turn up but ended up very relieved and satisfied with Mr Chew. He also made us 2 cushions using the left over cloth from the curtains.

We are thankful indeed.

My first encounter with Mr. Chew was 3 years ago. We were renting a brand new apartment and the landlady's curtain budget didnt cover the very sizable balcony. My first impression of Mr Chew was garnered over the phone, when I thought he sounded a tad curt. Fast forward to meeting up, where he gave a very good quote for the entire house. I explained that because I'm a tenant and will be paying for my own blinds on the balcony, I would ideally like sleek roller blinds but without the expensive, albeit necessary cable. He advised against it, but relented and went ahead to modify design, install hooks etc for us. Throughout the 2 years we were there, there were at least 3 occasions when I had to call him to fix my blinds which caved in to the weather elements. Mr Chew was busy, but he always made time to come down and fix the problem despite having advised me against it in the first place. If that isn't aftersales service, I don't know what is. Mrs Chew, on the other hand, is one of the sweetest people I've met. My 3 dogs like to mess with their tools, but they only smiled, even talked to my dogs. They told me as they were getting on in years, they would be slowing down. I asked them if they have considered sub-letting businesses to others. Answer is no, as they won't be able to control the quality. Heck, he even helped us install our ikea blinds (FOC) for our study and lounge area as we were on a tight budget.

My husband and I have purchased our own place and I called mr chew again. As expected, he was busy and didn't answer my call but eventually called back. Surprisingly, he remembered us. Must be the dogs. Anyways, he did warn that aug--year end is peak period so I would have to let him know in advance if I want him to help us out at our place.

I guess my point is, I appreciate his integrity and honesty. Perhaps he genuinely forgot some appointments (to which he should have been more alert). He's very down to earth, and I would support mom n pop businesses like his over big stores. So even though he said we might have to wait a while before they have time for us, I told him we'll wait. :)

Why am I writing this? A good customer experience generates 3 more customers on the average. A bad one? 10 who walk away. I'm hoping for every 10 that walk away, 3 will remain. Cos they are good.