Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Renosotong

Led "Ribbon" Lights

Hello fellow reno mates,

I've been trying to source for LED "down lights".

They are basically strips of LED lights on a ribbon and are really quite bright.

I thought of using them for inside wardrobes and in the kitchen (below the top cabinets).

Anybody has some lobangs where to get them?

Are they really worth the extra price? (what I look forward to is the low energy consumption and no heat generated)

I was quoted $45/metre and with something like $110 for the transformer. Dimmer was another $45. That was in Balestier.

I was wondering is it cheaper in Sim Lim?

All in all, for about 20 metres, it comes to like $1,200.

This is versus $300 for fluorescent tube lights....

Any feedback is much appreciated...thanks!!

Reno sotong

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

wow tat shop really out to kill~ check out sim lim tower top shopping level, there are a few led shops tat is at least half of what you are been quoted. 2 years back i bought at $25/m which i use for my car. if not look ard in the diy part of renotalk, i believe someone is doing a groupbuy from china so i believe they can be a good deal..

i actually bought 50m from china,and they are the same as what u can get from sim lim. will be using as covelights, electrician will be installing next week, if i have lots spare maybe i can sell some off here.

wow tat shop really out to kill~ check out sim lim tower top shopping level, there are a few led shops tat is at least half of what you are been quoted. 2 years back i bought at $25/m which i use for my car. if not look ard in the diy part of renotalk, i believe someone is doing a groupbuy from china so i believe they can be a good deal..

i actually bought 50m from china,and they are the same as what u can get from sim lim. will be using as covelights, electrician will be installing next week, if i have lots spare maybe i can sell some off here.

Thanks spikyfur!

Ya lor, i think i was cheated big time by the chap in Balestier. I'll check out the sim lim tower on the weekend.

Btw, what is the power rating of your LED ribbon? IIRC, the one i saw was 45W - which was the most powerful i've seen so far. Very bright white lights!

All the best for your home reno! :)

Hi Spikyfur, Cool. I'm also intending to use led strips as cove lights instead of T5 as I some how like the dancing colorful LED lines. But, I have no idea how to do that. Hee, no one to ask as we are DIY-ing our house reno due to budget constraint. May I ask if we are using LED as cove lights or a 5m straight ceiling area as compare to the traditional T5, will it be expensive? How about lighting points charges. If using t5, my costs will be 4 t5 = 4 X $20 = $80 + lighting points = 4 X $30 = $120. Total $200. For led light points, is the whole 5m consider as 1 light point or how many? Hee.. Hope to see your end product soon. :)

Hello fellow reno mates,

Yo bro...gt mine quoted at $39 per metre...I use it for my kitchen cabinet...so far so gd for quality...:)

They are basically strips of LED lights on a ribbon and are really quite bright.

I thought of using them for inside wardrobes and in the kitchen (below the top cabinets).

Are they really worth the extra price? (what I look forward to is the low energy consumption and no heat generated)

I was quoted $45/metre and with something like $110 for the transformer. Dimmer was another $45. That was in Balestier.

Reno sotong

I bought my led strips at this warehouse...they gt a sale down there..running at $39 for metre,shops outside selling 48 for metre... sealed and waterproof...used it for my kitchen.. u can call up this guy named Nicholas.he gave **** gd price for my other lights as well!!! Number is 9

LED strip now pretty cheap...

Around 45 to 50 bucks per metre.

My whole house also use led strip for cove and kitchen.

The expensive 1 is the transformer.

1 switch means 1 transformer....

All my led i bought from a shop call innolux but they dun have showroom.

It's a warehouse located in genting lane.

you can call charlie 96188108 if you want but this guy only works after 2 pm.... heh

1 led strip is 1 light pt. So I save money by soldering 3 5m strip to 1 for my whole living room. Tonight will post photos.

how you solder and where to solder wor?

thx

LED Downlights is different from LED ribbon lights (or called strip/rope lights)

For all LED lights, you will need a driver (transformer or ballast) to light up the LED that is to convert AC power to DC power in order to light up the LEDs (they only use DC). Depending on the quality of driver they give you, it will depends how long it can "drive" (lights up) the LED ribbon lights.

Dimming in LED is not cheap (ie. the dimable driver will be very expensive) and not all LEDs are dimable so you need to double confirm that.

Hope it helps.

My suggestion is to use T5 fluorescent lights for your wardrobe & kitchen cabinets. Much cheaper and "brighter" than LEDs. Replacement also cheap.

Most lighting shops or lighting companies that does projects will have LED lights and 90% of the LED lights are from China.

Hello fellow reno mates,

Reno sotong

The LED strips, there are 2 types & either water proof or non water proof.

5050 - Is the brightest, I got it non water proof at $20 per meter, water proof be few $$ more, the sales guy told me get non waterproof better coz the plastic casing will turn yellow over time.

Cost of the driver or transformer whatever u call it, depends on how big it is, the guy need to calculate how many ampere & provide you with the suitable driver. Of coz the higher the amp, the more exp it is. Mine cost $32 to power 2x 3.5 meter strips.

I got it in Sim Lim Tower, juz tell them how long u need it how you want it to run & they will cut accordingly.

The prices stated in above posting is absurd.

5050 - Is the brightest, I got it non water proof at $20 per meter, water proof be few $$ more, the sales guy told me get non waterproof better coz the plastic casing will turn yellow over time.

Cost of the driver or transformer whatever u call it, depends on how big it is, the guy need to calculate how many ampere & provide you with the suitable driver. Of coz the higher the amp, the more exp it is. Mine cost $32 to power 2x 3.5 meter strips.

I got it in Sim Lim Tower, juz tell them how long u need it how you want it to run & they will cut accordingly.

hm i just ordered from shenzen 1 10m (2x5m reels) of 5050 rgb waterproof strips + 1 5m reel of 5050 rgb waterproof strips with a suitable power adapter/supply for the 10m and another suitable power adapter/supply for the 5m and 2 rgb rf controller .. should have seen your post and not get the waterproof kind.

Oh yeah btw, erm are you using in cove light? Can teach me how to install it as in what is needed to ask my electrician to hook to our power lines?

Am i missing anything?

sorry for all the questions.

Thanks in adavance for the answers

Hi 666,

May i check if you will be able to share the contacts of the shop in Sim Lim where you got the rope lights ?

I am thinking of buying , but was quoted $375 for 1.7metres with transformer ...

Thanks in advance

Hi 666,

May i check if you will be able to share the contacts of the shop in Sim Lim where you got the rope lights ?

I am thinking of buying , but was quoted $375 for 1.7metres with transformer ...

Thanks in advance

1.7m for 17m ?