Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sethho

A New Lair In The West

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If u doing plastering, I think Andrew team quite good for the wall. It was very very smooth. Just the ceiling was not very good but using cove lights will see it more obviously. If normal lights then can't really see that it's not as smooth.

If u doing plastering, I think Andrew team quite good for the wall. It was very very smooth. Just the ceiling was not very good but using cove lights will see it more obviously. If normal lights then can't really see that it's not as smooth.

i think there is not much things they can do to the ceiling... no thanks to HDB poor workmanship to start with~ 8|

like how my contractor likes to put it... he said... plastering is like gals putting make-up... make average or bad skin looks good, but there is only this much they can do for VERY BAD skin... LOL :lol:

(just btw, i mentioned before that HDB rule said no plastering on ceiling. but................ :D)

my ceiling is like those humps you can see in photos of Sahara Desert... very jialat... joint lines are very far from straight :wacko: but we have to accept the fact la~ thank God the L-box covered up the wavy lines quite well~ :)

I think depends on how thick the plastering is. Previously was rock stones so I believe sure can plaster it. Anyway, if hdb wants to come and check I think I sure got lots of headache.

GOOD NEWS! All reno permit approved le!!! :dancingqueen::sport-smiley-004:

I practically called the HDB Officer every other day to give him "gentle reminder" to expedite our application :P I think he hear my name only he gets migraine lah :lol:

Ooohh...SO HAPPY! :yeah:

Ok, I found one pendant light that I can IMAGINE it will look nice in a contrasting manner for a minimalist theme.

I can visualize the colour effect bring some "warmth" to our home.

light1.jpg

I leave the aesthetic to Ader - I know I suck at that department...

I like the lights provided it really has that rainbow colour effects in its chandeliers :sport-smiley-018:

And Seth is just being modest, he has excellent taste! Otherwise he couldn't have chosen me :rofl: HAHA! I myself feel paiseh after saying it :P Jokes aside but really lor, his taste is not bad at all lah :D

We are doing plastering to all the walls and uh-hem..you know where lah :P but not having cove lights cos scare while we enjoy the bliss of home-sweet-home in our new place, xiao bai (lizards) and xiao qiang (coakroaches) also start to have theri housewarming in our false ceilings! :wacko:

like how my contractor likes to put it... he said... plastering is like gals putting make-up... make average or bad skin looks good, but there is only this much they can do for VERY BAD skin... LOL :lol:

LOL! I like your contractor's analogy of wall/ceiling plastering and girls putting on make-up! :lol:

my ceiling is like those humps you can see in photos of Sahara Desert... very jialat... joint lines are very far from straight :wacko: but we have to accept the fact la~ thank God the L-box covered up the wavy lines quite well~ :)

I think one of the reasons L-box and false ceiling are getting very popular nowadays is also thanks to HDB's poor make-up skill :P

Haha... Congrats!!! Now you can do what you like to the hacking. That's the best news so far, right?

Ya the lights are really pretty! I think your Reno would be very good with this kind of lightings.

GOOD NEWS! All reno permit approved le!!! :dancingqueen::sport-smiley-004:

I practically called the HDB Officer every other day to give him "gentle reminder" to expedite our application :P I think he hear my name only he gets migraine lah :lol:

Ooohh...SO HAPPY! :yeah:

hmmm... successor to the Deh Queen throne in making :P

And Seth is just being modest, he has excellent taste! Otherwise he couldn't have chosen me :rofl: HAHA! I myself feel paiseh after saying it :P Jokes aside but really lor, his taste is not bad at all lah :D

hahahahaha i like this one..... :rofl:

We are doing plastering to all the walls and uh-hem..you know where lah :P but not having cove lights cos scare while we enjoy the bliss of home-sweet-home in our new place, xiao bai (lizards) and xiao qiang (coakroaches) also start to have theri housewarming in our false ceilings! :wacko:

hahaha i didn't lizards are called xiao bai :P Hi there to the xiao bai at my home~ :wacko:

LOL! I like your contractor's analogy of wall/ceiling plastering and girls putting on make-up! :lol:

I think one of the reasons L-box and false ceiling are getting very popular nowadays is also thanks to HDB's poor make-up skill :P

i also like! LOL very easy to understand once he said that.

actually we didn't plan to have L-box initially. only when the electrician came to discuss the lighting point with us, he looked up and frowned at the ceiling... he said "wah your ceiling like that, once the trunking for the lights comes in, you can see which one straight which one not straight liao" :lol: so he suggested to put L-box. we're glad we heed his advice~ :P

Monetary wise, it should not be expensive if you get the seed + pot + earth from any Orchids.

Its the time and work required to care for the plant and clearing excess water so as not to breed mosquitoes that may be the true 'cost'.

Very true on the "true" cost... :D

Ya I can retire Liao

I've not heard of anyone getting 6 drawers and switches for free and having 9 carpenters working at the same time... Think it would be quite a feat to even match your Deh Power (look where it got me??).

Congrats on the permit, Ader and Seth - here it comes! Ready yourselves with lots of /facepalm moments k? :P

- Ely

Sorry for disappearing these last few days... Busy searching for lights, nice gowns, toilet/kitchen fixtures, etc.

Purchased everything with GR Links - I am put to shame whenever Ader bargains like a pro! :sport-smiley-004:

Likely, to get all the lighting from lightings.com.sg as we have to settle that coming, or latest by the following weekend!

I've not heard of anyone getting 6 drawers and switches for free and having 9 carpenters working at the same time... Think it would be quite a feat to even match your Deh Power (look where it got me??).

Congrats on the permit, Ader and Seth - here it comes! Ready yourselves with lots of /facepalm moments k? :P

- Ely

Thank you ~ just hope no double /facepalm :P

In case, anyone is interested what /facepalm means:

Single /facepalm

picard-facepalm.jpg

Double /facepalm

Double_Facepalm.jpg

No problem for plastering the ceiling. Our last place we plastered the ceiling and had a number of visits from our HDB officer due to spalling concrete. Never mentioned any issues. The valuer didn't mention when we sold, our current place we plastered the ceiling and found a leak. Called HDB and Town Council. Both viewed and I even told them I needed it fixed quickly due to ongoing reno and a need to plaster the ceiling. From this I deduce that plastering the ceiling is currently acceptable :yamseng:.

What floor are you on.

We find that cockroaches tend to come out when you are not in the bathroom and not when you are showering. Of course you may see them when you are showering but they will not likely be coming from the drain but another hiding place they went to earlier. Centipedes are a bit different as they like wet environments but we never had them coming from the drains when showering. They may be hiding under something in the shower area though. The worst I had was a 5-6" centipede come out from under our vanity unit in the toilet as I was err.... 'sitting and reading'. Tracking its every movement whilst not being in a position to do anything about it. not the most fun experience..... Our old unit was ground floor though. Our 10th floor unit we have only seen lizards and the odd tiny spider and 3-4 cockroaches but expect they came with us hiding in boxes and stuff that was packed. Oh I believe we have a largish centipede living in our fridge though :o. Just caught a glimpse of something long disappear to the back of the fridge and our fridge has vents to circulate the cold air. I suspect it is living in there. Shhh, haven't mentioned it to the wife yet :P.

Oh you may want to host pictures you link to in a site like photobucket or tiny pic or one of the others as linking from a site you have no control over can be dangerous. At worst they could change the pic to something very offensive but with the same name and then the admin and members here may not be so happy ;).

RB

No problem for plastering the ceiling. Our last place we plastered the ceiling and had a number of visits from our HDB officer due to spalling concrete. Never mentioned any issues. The valuer didn't mention when we sold, our current place we plastered the ceiling and found a leak. Called HDB and Town Council. Both viewed and I even told them I needed it fixed quickly due to ongoing reno and a need to plaster the ceiling. From this I deduce that plastering the ceiling is currently acceptable :yamseng:.

it's written in the guideline that plastering ceiling is not allowed (3rd point under "Examples of Renovation Work Not Allowed" in the link below). so i am just wondering what is the initial purpose of writing this rule, and why is this rule still around when everyone else is doing it? i bring this up time and again in the hope that someone can actually explain why~ :lol:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoNotAllow?OpenDocument

We find that cockroaches tend to come out when you are not in the bathroom and not when you are showering. Of course you may see them when you are showering but they will not likely be coming from the drain but another hiding place they went to earlier. Centipedes are a bit different as they like wet environments but we never had them coming from the drains when showering. They may be hiding under something in the shower area though. The worst I had was a 5-6" centipede come out from under our vanity unit in the toilet as I was err.... 'sitting and reading'. Tracking its every movement whilst not being in a position to do anything about it. not the most fun experience..... Our old unit was ground floor though. Our 10th floor unit we have only seen lizards and the odd tiny spider and 3-4 cockroaches but expect they came with us hiding in boxes and stuff that was packed. Oh I believe we have a largish centipede living in our fridge though :o. Just caught a glimpse of something long disappear to the back of the fridge and our fridge has vents to circulate the cold air. I suspect it is living in there. Shhh, haven't mentioned it to the wife yet :P.

sigh. when i lived on 8th floor, there were no cockroaches. now i live on 11th floor, there are......... :bangwall:

i'm just glad that i dun see centipedes... dun think i can live with them around! :o

it's written in the guideline that plastering ceiling is not allowed (3rd point under "Examples of Renovation Work Not Allowed" in the link below). so i am just wondering what is the initial purpose of writing this rule, and why is this rule still around when everyone else is doing it? i bring this up time and again in the hope that someone can actually explain why~ :lol:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/HomeRenoNotAllow?OpenDocument

I would guess this was a rule made a very long time ago for some reason and is no longer relevant but it has not been receded and so HDB just turns a blind eye to it now.

I would have no concerns plastering the ceiling at all.

If you really want clarification the check with your local HDB officer and if they say you cannot then raise it at your local 'meet the minister' session and lobby to get it changed as it is a common occurrence. Depends on how far you wish to take it.

RB

If you really want clarification the check with your local HDB officer and if they say you cannot then raise it at your local 'meet the minister' session and lobby to get it changed as it is a common occurrence. Depends on how far you wish to take it.

RB

LOL i think my MP will faint if i really do that..... :lol:

actually i was suspecting that the plastering mentioned in the rule could be different from what we are doing now, but dun have enough details on it to judge~