Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sethho

A New Lair In The West

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

What bout Nobel House, there do have function room for private events.

congrats on the reno progress :) as for wedding dinner, can try asking at http://porcelainhotel.com/, it's a new boutique hotel and i dont know if they even have space for functions or even somewhere like the chinese restaurants at pan pac - hai tien lo, orchard parade hotel - tung lok classics. oh if you're going for a 'western style dinner', you could always approach one of the new in restaurants and ask them how they can help you.

I remembered Gallery Hotel has quite good feedback, got one thread on sgbride forum on it :) just btw i enquired Park Hotel Clarke Quay before, they have a ROM package that is for 5 tables at a small function room. price wise is quite okie. not sure how good is the food, but at least the hotel is very new and nice (just opened last year) and Part Hotel is an established hotel chain niah~ :)i have quite a numbe ofr friends with Bliss. good and practical choice :P

Hahaha...we are very practical people, so long as we have good memories without going for the broke, we rather invest on tangible stuff that will last the next 5-10+ years :)

Thank you all for the good recommendations and info!

Lei Gardens at Chijmes I believe has private rooms. Pearl River as well.

as of last time i checked, Lei Gardens at Chijmas can only have maximum 3 tables, but that's before their reno last yr, not sure about now :P

the ambience at Chijmas is good... very nice and cosy :)

Mina-san, thank you so much for all the recommendations on the wedding dinner venue :wub: I found another good deal (I personally feel so lah :P) with Grand Park City Hall, which is one of the hotels under Park Royal Hotel Group :sport-smiley-018: The minimum no. of tables is 6 tables of 10 pax but I managed to negotiate for 4 tables :D Think will probably settle for that unless receive any violent objection from anyone :P

seem like everything going on quite well on your reno... then i read so many posts about weddings. hahahaha.... i guess weddings and renovations does come by together for large % of people here.

Hi Seth,

Did u overhaul the entire house? Seem like u are having open concept for your kitchen to living room area. Can pm me your contractor contact and advise what is your total reno cost?

Thank u.

Hi Seth,

Did u overhaul the entire house? Seem like u are having open concept for your kitchen to living room area. Can pm me your contractor contact and advise what is your total reno cost?

Thank u.

Hi JoTeo, yes - open concept for kitchen. But the thing about open concept is you may find 'flaws' that is not visible before. Now that we can see one end of the kitchen to the living room, its obvious the ceilings are uneven from one corner to the other...lol Thank God for L-box and false ceiling!

I will pm you my contractor's contact shortly :D

Between work, shopping/planning, wedding preps and supervision - I do not know how all the RT veterans here do it, but I hardly have time to visit RT! :jawdrop:

Anyway, here is my update...

After the wall has been demolished and plastering is complete, a structural pillar in the living room was pretty obvious. To make matters worse, the awkward position of the pillar+beam is in the way of the original position planned for a/c installation :/

The main problem is with the positioning and level-ing of the water pipes as water has to flow 'down'. Coupled that with the shoddy workmanship of the adjoining wall+pillar that looks like a 4 month pregnant lady (no offence to mothers out there), we have decided to build a false wall to cover the entire scene.

Here are the pics:

Front view with a/c installion 80% complete. We will cover the wall between passage way and kitchen with a false wall ....phew

IMAG0047.jpg

Side view with the 'belly' effect

IMAG0044.jpg

MBR with some imperfection to the beam to wall lining as well

IMAG0046.jpg

There is nothing much we can do and we do not plan to install more false wall to cover these imperfections.

I have given up on the aesthetics of my study room, as most of my trunking will be directed there...I can always camouflage them with artworks and paintings in the future :rolleyes:

Ok, gtg for cornice inspection now...will update whenever I can again :yamseng:

Edited by sethho

1.5 months.... guilty as charged for not updating this post due to our extremely tiring schedule 8|

Our renovation got delayed and we had to do some fire fighting to re-schedule all our furniture, appliance, and kitchen/toilet wares

I was living in that cramp up, dusty environment, and sleeping on the floor with no TV or Internet connection for a week because I had to move out before our new home is decently ready.

If there are any complaints regarding Designer Guy, its the....

1. DELAY DELAY DELAY :jawdrop:

2. Shoddy cleaning - splashing acid wash during clean up, which eroded the door frame brackets, water pipings, powerpoints, etc. :furious:

3. Quality control of all their sub-cons :curse:

However they made up for the lack of QC with responsive retification - e.g. the carpentry may not be perfect, but they are quick to fulfill and accommodating in our requests for any touch up.

The project lead may be 'off beat' in following his timetable (including the new timetable, after 1 week delay in handover), but he will come in almost every evening to personally work on whatever retification within his means.

So overall, I guess it balances out. Anyway, I figure any imperfections will be blind to our eyes after 3 months once we got use to it... lol

:yamseng:

Edited by sethho

Ok, this is 3 weeks after I have moved in and Adeline joined me after the 2nd week.

I was too busy painting, waxing, polishing, dusting and moving stuff around to take any pics, so I can only show the end result :dunno:

We are 95% complete - lacking only a chair for my study room and some storage solution from HSW.

I will only get the sofa bed and small wardrobe cabinet for the study/guest room after all my stuff is properly organized.

Here we go...

Living Room - typical HDB 3-rm layout ... the sofa is comfortable enough to sleep on, and the mirror + fan really brighten this area

IMAG0050.jpg

Dining Area - we need to change to energy saving light bulb due to noticeable heat from conventional tungsten

IMAG0055.jpg

Kitchen + Common toilet - believe it or not, other than the stainless steel table shelf, the best buy in this area is.... the ladder! we use it often during renovation, for laundry, reaching top kitchen cabinets, etc.... :good:

IMAG0061.jpg

IMAG0064.jpg

IMAG0063.jpg

Study/Guest room - finally, a book shelf of my own! my Darth Vader phone is just a display piece now after over 10 years of storage :bangwall: ... sigh, i miss its breathing and imperial march ringtone

IMAG0057.jpg

Door to vanity and 2nd entry to MBR

IMAG0058.jpg

Vanity and MBR bathroom - if i just take a step back, you will see the 'yellow box' for smokers. :sport-smiley-004:

IMAG0059.jpg

IMAG0060.jpg

MBR and mini WiW - the storage king sized bed really helps with typical HDB room size

IMAG0065.jpg

IMAG0066.jpg

Our eyes sting if the WiW is enclosed for long period, due to the anti-termite chemical treatment used in the carpentry for the shelvings

IMAG0067.jpg

Door way to vanity/smoking area and 2nd entry to study/guest room

IMAG0070.jpg

That's all for now. Will be back for more soon.... :dancingqueen:

Hey, bro sethho

Congrats on reno completion! I like the cosy dining area with the red colour theme! Very nice!! :thumbs up: