Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
stardust205

Dimmer Function

Hi,

I was told by a Choo Chiang staff that dimmer lights need to have special ballast installed at the lamp, in order for dimmer to work.

Another staff from a different lighting shop told me, as long the bulbs are non-energy savings type, the dimmer will work.

And lets say if a non-energy saving bulb has an output of 15W.. and my chandelier/cornice is going to install 5 of these.

Does that mean when the chandelier/cornice light is on, it is using 15W x 5 amt of electricity?

That's quite alot considering the largest 'hamburger' light only uses 40W..

Thank you.

Edited by stardust205

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi, Stardust, most (99%) energy saving bulb(PLC) cannot be dimmed. A resistor dimmer can dim main voltage tungsten bulb directly. If you are using low voltage (12V) halogen bulb, you will need a leading or trailing edge electronic dimmer to match the ballast in order to achieve dimming function. The common philips ballast model ET-E60 is compatible with leading and trailing edge dimmer.

Yes, 5 pc of 15watt candlelight bulbs burn 75watt when running. Much more consumption than hamburger PLC, but look much nicer. Nothing is worse than the flat and dull light of PLC in my personal opinion.

Thanks for ur explanation collins.

All incandescent lamp are dimmable.

These includes chandelier/halogen bulbs.

They are very energy consuming.

You can easily save 800% energy by switching to LED lights

or 400% using fluorescent lamps.

Fluorescent and LED lights needs their special dimmer in order to dim the lights.

There are also new design which allows them to be dim by conventional dimmable but they are more expensive.

Only certain lights needs special dimmer(DMX)..

Example: 4p PLC can be dimmed... it's just the tansformer you got to change..

you see end result is what you really want ...

If you need to install chandelier, then you will use incandecent bulbs because the light effect onto the crystals would be the best.

If you are looking for LED to replace halogens, there is currently a few in the market.. dun need special dimmer... just the normal would do...

(I am using a 9W Dimmable MR16 LED for my own house with a normal dimmer)

just for your info...

Hi,

I was told by a Choo Chiang staff that dimmer lights need to have special ballast installed at the lamp, in order for dimmer to work.

Another staff from a different lighting shop told me, as long the bulbs are non-energy savings type, the dimmer will work.

And lets say if a non-energy saving bulb has an output of 15W.. and my chandelier/cornice is going to install 5 of these.

Does that mean when the chandelier/cornice light is on, it is using 15W x 5 amt of electricity?

That's quite alot considering the largest 'hamburger' light only uses 40W..

Thank you.