Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
rolli

Will There Be A Line?

Hi, I need a fair judgement for the workmanship of my kitchen cabinet.

Look at the below image 1.

Most of the edges and corners are like that. I check liao and confirmed it is not glue. Is it normal? Is the workmanship normal/average, poor, good?

My contractor said 90% of his customers will say this is good!

cabinet1.png

I'm not satisfied with the workmanship like that and I asked him whether he can do something about it and he said ok.

A few days later, I saw one portion of the laminate is being removed (see image below). I worry that if the carpenter put back that piece of laminate back to its original position, there might be a black line in between. Previously that whole portion is one whole piece. I wonder why he needs to remove one portion like that.

cabinet2.png

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Rolli,

You will see a line for sure once the small piece laminate is glue up. Reason why your contractor didnt want to take down the whole strip is because its gonna incurred more cost to him and at the same time worried that it may affect the others. So that the best way to do it.

Try asking for some discount of freebies instead, no point arguing over this issue.. :)

Just my 2cents

Cheers!!

oh yeah just to check are the kitchen cabinets undeneath supposed to be laminated?

sorry I don't get what you mean. Shouldn't the whole kitchen cabinet cover by laminate?

btw, the carpenter came and changed that portion today. I asked him about the edges and he said it is like that because they filed the edges and accidentally filed the surface as well. Those edges are sharp previously. I wonder why the edges are sharp in the first place if it is out from the factory and if they did a QC before fixing up the cabinet.

Edited by rolli

I just did my place and same thing. The ID said exactly the same thing! Maybe we got the same ID? :help:

As I was construction trained, I had an extensive argument with the ID (by right, they should have measured the laminates to size and cut properly in the factory but these guys nowadays used those China guys who are **** smart alecks; they paste a big strip of laminate and then used a file to just pare down the joint!!???!!! Of course, the silly backing line will show! Anyway, they should just stop using such lousy laminates!!) and later when he lost, he sent his carpentry guys to argue. In the end, they just used touched-up paint on the laminate joint lines!??!!

I just did my place and same thing. The ID said exactly the same thing! Maybe we got the same ID? :help:

As I was construction trained, I had an extensive argument with the ID (by right, they should have measured the laminates to size and cut properly in the factory but these guys nowadays used those China guys who are **** smart alecks; they paste a big strip of laminate and then used a file to just pare down the joint!!???!!! Of course, the silly backing line will show! Anyway, they should just stop using such lousy laminates!!) and later when he lost, he sent his carpentry guys to argue. In the end, they just used touched-up paint on the laminate joint lines!??!!

Haiz...sama sama

wah very bad ...

my carpenter (personal friend) engaged his subcon PRC people do for me also like that

then after that i reject all...

he bo bian came down with all his singaporean workers...

did beautiful job...

I picked my carpenter is also because his own workers are singaporean and very responsible

end result is the result i wanted

your carpenter should change the whole strip if not very ugly de... :jawdrop:

Hi, I need a fair judgement for the workmanship of my kitchen cabinet.

Look at the below image 1.

Most of the edges and corners are like that. I check liao and confirmed it is not glue. Is it normal? Is the workmanship normal/average, poor, good?

My contractor said 90% of his customers will say this is good!

cabinet1.png

I'm not satisfied with the workmanship like that and I asked him whether he can do something about it and he said ok.

A few days later, I saw one portion of the laminate is being removed (see image below). I worry that if the carpenter put back that piece of laminate back to its original position, there might be a black line in between. Previously that whole portion is one whole piece. I wonder why he needs to remove one portion like that.

cabinet2.png

Agreed the carpentry work is lousy... I just had my cabinet up last friday... And I was very satisfied w the work...

Done tv console, feature wall, kitchen cabinet... praying altar... 2 vanity... 1 wardrobe... I only spotted a chip laminate inside my shoe satee door... The rest is near to perfect... no complaint... And out of 5 person who do the carpentry work... 4 singapore and 1 PRC.... I even see uncle use liguid to polish the door before fixing...

I guess u choose the wrong carpenter.... I wont accept the work of ur carpenter... We pay so much and expect to see better job...

hahah, I tot mine was not good, but after seeing yours i think mine was way too good!

wardrobe3.jpg

Although the joint between my laminate does have a line, but is much smaller than yours, and my kitchen where the laminate do not join with laminate (ie. join with other type of material), there's no line at all!

I do find some corners the laminate crack a little at the bottom like urs, but much smaller not as big as yours, and with this i told my friends the workmanship is bad, if i'm you, i'll probably fight with the carpenter! haha!

And my carpenter is from Msia, I tot singapore carpenter shd have better workmanship