Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Rover

3-Roomer : Bachalor'S Paradise

Hey fellow 3 roomer - is yours a 3I unit as well? yeah there's alot of considering in terms of space management. the main combos are sacrificing one room to be part of the hall or the kitchen (most people go with hall) or combining both rooms to get a massive master room with a jaccuzzi =)

You should definately go with a more guy-ish theme. This is something i try to do.

2.jpg

Barney%27s_Apartment.png

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Need some advices. Been reading up the forum wrt IDs and contractors. More I read, more confused. If I oredi hv design concept of my own, I need to engage ID rite? Some mentioned tt ID will somehow be the project manager/supervisor but wun the contractor I engage be doing the same as a main cont? Also, I had browsed thru some reno coys and most of their contract states free consultation, 3D drawings, etc. When u all mention ID, u mean these reno coys izzit? Then contractor is wat? Not reno coy? *blur*

To quote someone in this forum, all IDs are contractors and all contractors are IDs. A good interior designer is able to create themes and designs which are modern and unique. One who is able to combine both creativeness and knowledge of construction is even better..Otherwise he's just a salesman. Fundamentally, interior desginers are supposed to decide on the colour scheme, arrangements, concept, etc of your home, engage contractors who can do the job, be on site to oversee the process everyday to ensure minimal mistakes.

Need some advices. Been reading up the forum wrt IDs and contractors. More I read, more confused. If I oredi hv design concept of my own, I need to engage ID rite? Some mentioned tt ID will somehow be the project manager/supervisor but wun the contractor I engage be doing the same as a main cont? Also, I had browsed thru some reno coys and most of their contract states free consultation, 3D drawings, etc. When u all mention ID, u mean these reno coys izzit? Then contractor is wat? Not reno coy? *blur*

Was thinking thru...

3 room unit tends to hv narrow living room. Tts y I mentioned tt I'll be hacking off the common room to widen up the living room area. Wat I'm contemplating nw is whether to convert the common room into a permanent part of the living room or hv a glass partition so tt I could convert it into a guest room shld I hv guest staying overnite.

Pros of partition:

Provides privacy to guest sleeping at nite.

Cons of partition:

Doesn't seem to help much on widening the living area due to the limited space constrains.

Partitioning may end up resulting in more odd corners/spacing between living room and common room, or rather rendering the area at the opened up common room area somewhat odd sided for use as part of the living room.

You got to ask yourself how often do you have guests staying over then ?

Was thinking thru...

3 room unit tends to hv narrow living room. Tts y I mentioned tt I'll be hacking off the common room to widen up the living room area. Wat I'm contemplating nw is whether to convert the common room into a permanent part of the living room or hv a glass partition so tt I could convert it into a guest room shld I hv guest staying overnite.

Pros of partition:

Provides privacy to guest sleeping at nite.

Cons of partition:

Doesn't seem to help much on widening the living area due to the limited space constrains.

Partitioning may end up resulting in more odd corners/spacing between living room and common room, or rather rendering the area at the opened up common room area somewhat odd sided for use as part of the living room.

You got to ask yourself how often do you have guests staying over then ?

Not often really. Lol. Juz thinking tt it wun be nice to let guest slp in 'living room' pe say. I'll Incoporate a sofa bed at the living room corner though.

Wat I'm contemplating nw is whether to convert the common room into a permanent part of the living room or hv a glass partition so tt I could convert it into a guest room shld I hv guest staying overnite.

You might want to read this reno blog by a single guy who totally revamped his Tiong Bahru flat and turned it into a very cool swinging bachelor bad. Go to Google and type "See how Lieblingsg transforms his Tiong Bahru SIT Flat!" and follow the link you get. This guy is a legend among reno obessives (like me!). :D

I'll just show you some pics of what his place looked like when his reno was complete:

TB5JulyLiving3.jpg

Notice the folding floors with translucent, ridged glass on the right. That unfolds to become a partition that separates the guest bedroom (with a pull-down Murphy bed that's hidden in a cupboard when not in use) from the rest of the flat, if he's having a guest staying over.

During the reno process:

TB10june2.jpg

View of the guest bedroom with bed hidden in the false wall, and partition panels stacked against a pillar. This mini guest room even has a closet incorporated into the pillar. The room disappears when there are no guests, and so does the bed, and he has a roomy dining area instead.

You might want to read this reno blog by a single guy who totally revamped his Tiong Bahru flat and turned it into a very cool swinging bachelor bad. Go to Google and type "See how Lieblingsg transforms his Tiong Bahru SIT Flat!" and follow the link you get. This guy is a legend among reno obessives (like me!). :D

Thks. I'll take a look. While we could somehow compare, it's still the space tt we hv to play ard wif the design and allocation at the end of the day. If based on the type of 3 room corner unit tt I'm looking for, probably i could transform the common into something like this :

a53545aa.jpg

Hi all,

As u all are aware, I'm trying to design my space allocation planning. As mentioned, I'm likely to get a 3 room unit and will be eyeing for corner unit (see attached floor plan):

64f020ba.jpg

I'll be hacking off the existing storeroom to make the MBR bigger. A new storeroom will be built (eat into the common room space). The common room wall adjoining the living room will be hacked to make the living room bigger and it'll be used as the main sofa and tv area. I planned it out this way cos after hacking the common room wall, this is the only space big and spacious enough to comfortably converted into the sofa/tv area.

Now, the original living room space for a 3 room unit is typically narrow. As I seldom cook, I'll shorten my kitchen space and will incorporate a dining area between the original living room/kitchen area (as seen in many of the reno designs in the forum). Open kitchen concept wif sliding glass doors.

The prob I'm stuck wif now is wat am I gonna do wif the remaining area of the original living room space, ie frm the main door entrance to where the dining area is supposed to be. Though I'm gg for minimalist concept, I wun wan this space to be wasted or be a white elephant area which I dun/seldom use. Been searching ard the net for ideas but to no avail. Tts the prob wif narrow 3 room unit. I hv oredi allocated a new living room area frm the modifying of my common room, so I'm stuck wif wat to do wif this remaining space :(

hi there.... i read your blog and i take it that you have not seen anything 3 room flat that you are buying? There are some 3 room corner flats where the storeroom is actually between living room and kitchen. Then the master bedroom and common room are separated with a space joining the living room. So the living room is like a T shape.

So, why don't you look for the unit that you want first before trying to think of the space planning? I would think the unit i mentioned might be better for you so that you save money on hacking store room and re-building it again.

hi there.... i read your blog and i take it that you have not seen anything 3 room flat that you are buying? There are some 3 room corner flats where the storeroom is actually between living room and kitchen. Then the master bedroom and common room are separated with a space joining the living room. So the living room is like a T shape.

So, why don't you look for the unit that you want first before trying to think of the space planning? I would think the unit i mentioned might be better for you so that you save money on hacking store room and re-building it again.

Yes :) I'm aware of the other type of unit u referring to:

f24ca3db.jpg

I'll prefer the type I posted as I kinda dun like the idea of the store room blocking the living room and kitchen. Of cos if I can't find my ideal type of unit, the one u proposed will be next in line ;)

Hi there!

happened to pop by, so thought i drop u a line. I have a floor plan which lieb (from myhometown) had helped me planned. Total minimalist style.

But due to lack of $$$, it was not executed by me. Seeing that u like the concept, i'll post it here later tonight to share. :)

Important stuff for minimalist (in my view):

- discpline, u need to have unutilised space. leaving a space empty there is usually not easy, we tend to want to fill it up.

- play tricks on the eyes. Using glass, or open concept or mirror, etc to create an illusion of space.

- For flats with 3NG design, do open concept kitchen + have lightly tinted windows + no kitchen window grilles. This cheats your eyes everytime as the view u see is very unobstructed.

- use light colours for flooring + walls.

Have fun in searching for your dream home! :)

Hi Gimz,

Thks for the advices. Exactly wat I hv in mind. Mine will be full white theme. I knw it's still early but planning always starts early :) Challenge will be subsequently trying to get the ideal unit and of cos - $$$ ;)

Yes :) I'm aware of the other type of unit u referring to:

f24ca3db.jpg

I'll prefer the type I posted as I kinda dun like the idea of the store room blocking the living room and kitchen. Of cos if I can't find my ideal type of unit, the one u proposed will be next in line ;)

Nope, not this one too.... there is another type where the 2 bedrooms are separated by living room.

I know what you mean, to have open concept kitchen! i have the same too and when i saw you like red and white, just like mine. hehehehe....

Here was what Lieb designed:

Floor plan:

4.jpg

Living room:

1-4.jpg

My personal favourite, the Kitchen. (where every Norm goes out of the window)

2-2.jpg

3.jpg

His comments (as far as i recall):

1. To have a TV cabinet to hide the TV (minimalist rule, hide everything)

2. You would notice that there are no fridge or washer? :) He recommended those small fridges which could fit under the kitchen top. Same for washer, hide it underneath.

This layout totally changed me and my wife's way of thinking. But we decided against it in the end due to cost involved.

Hope you would find this layout useful. All the best!