Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
techaview

5 Room Hdb At City Fringe

Some history to begin with...

After staying in Pasir Ris for 5 years, we decided to move nearer to city fringe area. Put our place for sale and in just a week, we sold our former place. That was fast and initially just thought that if no buyer then just carried on staying there. Feel a abit reluctant at first but thinking of moving nearer to town just feel excited. Well that was in April.

Next up is to shortlist area. Basically we are looking at somewhere along old airport road and kallang area. Viewed a few around these area and compare price with some owner asking for 30 - 70k cov. After viewing a friend's place in a area we never considered in the first place we are awed by the layout the HBD have and with the renovation they have done simply open our option for the shortlisted area. A check with propertyguru return 2 results. Arranged to view these 2 units (coincidentally they are just 1 floor above one and other). Preferred the lower floor unit and negotiate for COV. Seller said yes and we seal the deal.

In a blink of eye, first appointment and 2nd appointment with HDB gone past and we finally got our key in August!! Now need to think of idea for reno and engage contractor.....

Here our layout:

screenshot20110906at904.png

Pics of existing layout before demolishing

img0754ye.jpg

img0384ru.jpg

Night view from living room. Sorry for the blur image..

img0391vi.jpg

Living room area

img0381ql.jpg

Existing walk in wardrobe area

Edited by techaview

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

After just coming back from Melbourne, was inspired to create a reno design based on cottage style after visiting Mt Dondenang and Phillip island. Got a couple of their House and Garden magazine and collected some idea but decided against it as their idea is mainly for big house and their climate doesn't suit us as well. Well I saw a t-blog which is based on cottage style before but I think it is kinda hard for us to maintain. To create that kind of effect we have to use a lot of small ornaments which will collect dust if we never clean regularly. Yes we are the lazy kind. We are thinking along the line of rustic for living room, lush for MBR and raw industrial for kitchen but yet to finalize design because we need to if they can match all together....

Exploring idea for reno idea

img0400.png

img0399y.png

img0398l.png

img0397.png

img0597j.jpg

For living room

Edited by techaview

Since we decided to design our own concept, we decided to design ourselves and engage a contractor to help us do the job. So sorry there is no drawing based on our concept at the moment. We have recently just finalized our design and is on our journey to engage a contractor.

First up is a contractor that is recommend by friend. Call him up and make an appointment to do site survey for quotation. Generally the visit went quite well and gotten a budgetary quote from him. Only setback are that there is 3 items that he cannot do it for us and ask us to engage someone to do the job. Although the 3 items are quite generic and common in most of the renovation, i have a hard time getting quote for them. I have to send the design s on what i want to my friends and ask them to ask around also. If not for those companies that i have found online are too busy to help me do them, until......

Well you guess it rennotalk forum!!

Yes I am initially appalled by the massive information that are available in this forum. I am just a casual reader that will login to check on and off for some deals and ideas. With the t blog that is availiable, I decided just to look at all the nice and inmovative design that all the people here have posted. It really helps me a lot and I totally skip all the other thread all together. With one of the brother blog in this thread, I saw a **** nice design that I fell in love with at first sight! Hence I decided to call the contractor for a quote and am impressed with the promptness that he rendered. He always seem to be accommodate to my timing for meeting up always with my last minute changes in timing (which is after office hour).

Upon the first meetup, I throw him all the ideas that I have in mind and of course he offered me some new ideas for my consideration. The best part, all the 3 items that my previous contractor cannot fulfill, he is the one that can actually fulfill them. Now one of the item is a feature wall that I have gotten the idea from Bangkok. I have asked around and most of the contractors are unable to do it. Even those who can do it, their response is always a yes immediately, which I have doubt in. What impressed me is this contractor bothered to think and think really hard ( well at least that what I've perceived) before saying yes. Finger cross now to see if they can really deliver.

My Reno have started since Monday with the hacking works first. Will post the pic tomorrow. Time for bed....

added some more design idea. picture taken from everywhere that i came across

commonbathroom1.jpg

use it for my common toilet

img0775hq.jpg

more idea for common toilet

img0777cs.jpg

common toilet again

img0783yt.jpg

mbr toilet idea

Edited by techaview

img0856y.jpg

MBR toilet idea

img0857iw.jpg

MBR toilet idea again. If only my toilet is this big...

img0859oc.jpg

check out the mosaic tiles on the floor

portobellosidechair.png

Have an existing old chair. thinking of reuphoistery into different pattern

tonichair.png

pattern 2

Edited by techaview

Hello Techaview,

Nice looking toilets and chairs... :) Halo Living?

Your new flat is intriguing - it's a 5 room but it's 105 sqm and has a bomb shelter. May I hazard a guess - it's at Klang Lane?

The layout reminds me of my previous apartment - I think you'll have a fun time dressing it up. Congratulations!

Thanks.it a new design HDB about 7 years old hence the small size. 105sq m is 4 room HDB size in the olden days.... Good that they have the aircon ledge to accomodate 2nd aircon compressor.

Toilet is from my friend's place.... Very raw and cosy at the same time but unfortunately i do not have his toilet size...

Chairs i think i got the ideas from journeyeast.com. Havn't ask the cost to re upholstery into these design. Any one can recommend? Then i will match my dining table against them...

renovation into the third day and hacking and demolished of old carpentry are done. Never got the time to go down yet but trust my contractor to do a good job on coordinating. He helped me with City gas and aircon first appointment when we are working. kudos to him by saving a lot of trouble of having to go down. Anyway a lot of damage done this week on getting electric appliances and furniture. Will randomly post what i have purchased over the past weeks shipping around.

dihc90hv.jpg

Delizia DZHI 929 IX Island hood

ph941mstbix1.jpg

Ariston PH 941 MSTB IX - Grillo Hods. Simply love the grill plate with option to grill beef and seafood etc...

fz62c1ix1.jpg

Ariston FZ 62 C.1 IX self catalytic cleaning oven

kdl40ex720.png

Sony Bravia 40EX720 LED for MBR

toshibasystem22300l.jpg

Toshiba system 2 inverter for MBR

Edited by techaview

screenshot20110906at112.png

Peca Ilum light for dining area

img0808iu.jpg

Focal Little Bird 2.1 for living room area

linemr.jpg

Grakfunt the line console love this console a lot!!

img0855w.jpg

Not yet purchase but should be getting this weekend subjected to partner approval....

Edited by techaview

Hi Techaview, I have exactly the same Ariston Oven as u. My Chimney hood looks almost the same but model is DZH329 LED type :)

img0808iu.jpg

Focal Little Bird 2.1 for living room area

Hi

I'm looking at this sound system too. Have you tested them out? Issit good? Where is the store?

Hi Techaview, I have exactly the same Ariston Oven as u. My Chimney hood looks almost the same but model is DZH329 LED type :)

I am still pending for delivery. My first time using a built in oven.

Have you used it? How is the baking like? and easy to use? thanks