Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
wellesleyQ

Bites Immediately After Reno?

Hi all,

Just wanted to know if anyone experienced any bites after stepping into their newly renovated house? :jail:

I'm on a budget, so only renovated kitchen and master toilet. I find that during the reno process when I go and take a look at the progress, I will leave with bites all over the exposed areas of my limbs. Now that reno has finished, I'm starting to paint the house, and I will usually spend the entire weekend there. Same thing happens, I leave with bites.

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm wondering whether they are dust mites, or are there bugs that live in cement? I've never seen any mosquitoes around (I'm usually quite sensitive to small black moving insects) so I doubt they are mosquito bites. The bites tend to be quite big and raised, a little like hives.

I'm thinking of calling in some pest control to fumigate, but I'm worried about the after-effects on my cats after moving in, and the exterminators also reminded me that there's no guarantee it will work. :bangwall:

Would appreciate any info anyone has on this, or any suggestions as to what I can do to solve this problem. Thanks so much!!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

There are quite a few pest control company that quote for free.

Why not ask them to come take a look and quote.

Thanks for your suggestion dinobros! I called Kill'em Pest, and the manager who came down, James, said it might be insects living in the gully traps and they breed when the house is uninhabited. He suggested trying a DIY method to pour boiling water mixed with Dettol down the pipes and see if it helps, if not then to call them in to gas as a last resort. I thought it was good of him to suggest alternatives and not hard sell their services. :good:

So I tried that over the weekend, saw some small black insects flying around, so hopefully that means that it really is those things and the water+Dettol is working. Will continue to pour more over the next few weekends and see if it eradicates them!