Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
claireC

How To Go About Renovating

hi folks!

just bought a 4A condo-style layout resale. flat condition is quite alright.

kinda need help on how to go about renovating. for starters, we're thinking of changing the living room flooring to large homo tiles, redoing the kitchen, master room and master toilet. gonna leave the other 2 rooms intact for the moment. wanna use cove/down lights for the bedroom and living room. i'm interested in getting pole system wardrobes and maybe kitchen from opsh. want to hack of part of the kitchen wall to install a breakfast counter/bar top for eating.

if this is the case, what should i start with? should i go direct to an ID? will they work together with opsh? ID will charge higher for hacking/installing flooring right? should i get a contractor to do it first, then find an ID?

quite confused as to which party to start of with. how to integrate these elements together?

would appreciate some feedback. thanks!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

hi folks!

just bought a 4A condo-style layout resale. flat condition is quite alright.

kinda need help on how to go about renovating. for starters, we're thinking of changing the living room flooring to large homo tiles, redoing the kitchen, master room and master toilet. gonna leave the other 2 rooms intact for the moment. wanna use cove/down lights for the bedroom and living room. i'm interested in getting pole system wardrobes and maybe kitchen from opsh. want to hack of part of the kitchen wall to install a breakfast counter/bar top for eating.

if this is the case, what should i start with? should i go direct to an ID? will they work together with opsh? ID will charge higher for hacking/installing flooring right? should i get a contractor to do it first, then find an ID?

quite confused as to which party to start of with. how to integrate these elements together?

would appreciate some feedback. thanks!

Welcome!

I would suggest that you browse the forum for ideas. You are not the first newbie nor will you be the last. Look for topics where your question has been answered before.

You can go directly to an ID or contractor, it's up to you. They are essentially doing the same job. Don't be fooled by the name. ID and contractor is the same. Many IDs don't actually have design skills and many contractors are calling themselves ID nowadays. Use the term "renovator", since that is what they do: Renovations. They sell renovations, you buy renovations. As simple as that.

Don't think that ID always charge more and contractor always charge less. They are all trying to charge as high as possible. If you are a contractor, would you not want to charge high? There is no law to say contractors must charge this amount and below.

The final price depends on: Your negotiation skills, the renovator's schedule (if he's too busy or too free), whether he/she is hungry for your job and whether your renovator is experience or not. Big name renovators recommended here usually charge more.

My advice is to find a renovator who suits you and can help you keep in the budget, while the quality is acceptable. Prices can always negotiate. Remember, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys. See my signature for more tips.

I wish you all the best. yamseng.gif

hi there,

why not try to take a short courses about all this? i know this great school that provide a short course regarding this matter. you can check them out in http://inspiration.sg/styles.php or call 62344345 for more info. i studied there back then and they are awesome. they teach you the essential info about interior design. hope this help!

U need to start with the space planning, get an empty floor plan, then start to sketch on it.

Write down things u want to do on that floor plan.

And start to browse for some ideas.

Perhaps visiting some tiles shop to have clear vision about the feeling of the tiles selection.

Then list down thing that u're planning to buy (appliances, furniture etc)to get even more clear vision of the whole concept/looks of ur house.

Agree with renoseeker, ID or contractor nowadays are almost no different.

What u need to make sure is weather ur renovator is can meet ur budget and give u some visualization of what u want or not.