Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
iamnorah

Mini Jumbo

Hello All,

I have just bought a resale flat.

I am very grateful to all other members outhere in sharing their experience in renovating their house.

Lots of good advises.

Ok for a start, i would like to share some photos .

Only 4 photos from the valuer.

What you see here in the mirror image for the other side.

Currently all the walls are all still standing as per the hdb original floorplan,

The only different is a miserable 3 feet door opening connecting the 2 units at the living room which was almost near to kitchen.

532acad7.jpg

0c6e555a.jpg

I have decided, everthing else must go.. Including many walls.

Only thing i can save will be just the windows/grills.

I have approached many Companies.

The most attractive one is $44,613 major work + 46ft carpentary for kitchen.

I know that i need to place a deposit then i get 3d drawings.

This exclude the following which i plan to take from different companies;

- rewiring whole unit ($3.2k)

- 4 wardrobe ($9k)

- layover laminate flooring for 4 bedroom ($3k)

I don't plan to decided anything yet till i get my keys 1 week before CNY.

Since it is the festive period, i would expect reno to start only by 1st week Febuary 2012.

So meantime i just play with my layout.

I just printscreen and save as .jpeg file from the pdf floorplan

And use MicrosoftPaint to work on my plan.

Please be kind , iam not a pro. (first time doing this)

Still calculating my budget ..with feature wall , wallpapers, & very excited about my Island and wondering how it will turn out to be as i don't seems to see many kitchen with one in here.

e2e8e281.jpg

- ignored the title ' kitchen' at the right living room / next to study.

I just realise that error!

Edited by iamnorah

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hello all,

Good day.. & Merry Xmas.

I need your help.

I am having a domestic kitchen wars here.

I find it very wierd to do washing& preparation on food in the middle of kitchen.

My hub say its very wierd to cook in the middle of kitchen.

Would it be best for Island Sink or Island Cooking?

It will be heavy cooking everyday.

Anyone else having island kitchen at their HDB ( not landed house) photos to share.

Thanks.

Hihi, think u gonna have fun doing up the big house! :)

so nice to get a jumbo flat.

As for the kitchen layout, i suggest u try visiting the "blum" website or grab an IKEA kitchen brochure. Your question is on what we call the "golden triangle".

The different activities:

- taking out food from fridge

- taking out sauces from cabinets

- washing and preparation such as chopping, etc

- cooking

You need to visualise each activity and see which layout is best for you. This will affect your positioning of your fridge, your sink and your stove. Which in turns will affect where you put your powerpoints, gas pipes and water pipes. :)

There are many possibilities in which the layout can be done, especially when you have a big kitchen.

You could consider a long kitchen island which doubles up as a dining table. The visual effect will make your house look longer than it really is.

Apart from the kitchen, you would also end up with "unhackable beams". This could be an icon if you do it up nicely, i have seen photos from flats where the beams are actually the focal point of the house.

Anyway, have fun renovating, my apologies for the long post. :)

My opinion regarding your domestic kitchen war is that: whoever does the cooking in the kitchen has the final say. This is if you or your husband is the only person in the family spending time in the kitchen the most. I would do all the food preparation, cooking n cleaning myself in the kitchen so I decide which goes where, only consult husband technical stuff like electrical stuff.

The golden triangle rule is good to know. But if you work systemetically in the kitchen, like taking all the things that needed for a meal from the fridge out to the preparation area next to the sink, then you might ignore the rule.

I think to cook @ the island then serve the food immediately to hungry souls right in front of you will be a good experience. Like you are in a teppanyaki restaurant. If have space, should really make this island a dining table as well.. ;)

Nice big kitchen you will have. You can have a look at my house Reno then you will see my island. The island also is my dining table.... Very useful when family and friends come visiting.

Hihi, think u gonna have fun doing up the big house! :)

so nice to get a jumbo flat.

As for the kitchen layout, i suggest u try visiting the "blum" website or grab an IKEA kitchen brochure. Your question is on what we call the "golden triangle".

The different activities:

- taking out food from fridge

- taking out sauces from cabinets

- washing and preparation such as chopping, etc

- cooking

You need to visualise each activity and see which layout is best for you. This will affect your positioning of your fridge, your sink and your stove. Which in turns will affect where you put your powerpoints, gas pipes and water pipes. :)

There are many possibilities in which the layout can be done, especially when you have a big kitchen.

You could consider a long kitchen island which doubles up as a dining table. The visual effect will make your house look longer than it really is.

Apart from the kitchen, you would also end up with "unhackable beams". This could be an icon if you do it up nicely, i have seen photos from flats where the beams are actually the focal point of the house.

Anyway, have fun renovating, my apologies for the long post. :)

Hi Gimz,

Thank you for your insight on kitchen planning.

Now u mentioned about the beam.. The black beam that is in between the two kitchen/living room is killing me.

Also ceiling beam in between the two kitchen also makes me go arrgghhhh!!!! Cos this will make my chimney looks weird suspended from the ceiling next to it.

The ceiling beam is **** low . I visualised a large space with the ugly island kitchen {{{ me turning blue already}}

But your idea to make the beam as focal point of the house makes me smile ear to ear. :)

This will be a challenge for my contractor cum designer. I bring this to him and see what he comes up with.

Now i am thinking, i should not do any kitchen planning.

I would want to wait if HDB allows the hacking all my red walls to ceiling height. {cross fingers}

Whatever the outcome , Get the wall hack first, then go down to site and stand in the middle to visualise what i really really want to makes the kitchen work for me.

I will update on this progress.

Thank you.

oh so your flat is the size of two 3 room flats? so cool! never knew hdb has such "5 room flats" :)

Hi kaylinpickles,

Yup this is call the adjoining unit , which the current owner live and next door was his parent.

The funny thing. I can enter from both doors but i was given only 1 unit no with 2 letter box.

Not sure if can seal up one door , got to wait for HDB approval.

My opinion regarding your domestic kitchen war is that: whoever does the cooking in the kitchen has the final say. This is if you or your husband is the only person in the family spending time in the kitchen the most. I would do all the food preparation, cooking n cleaning myself in the kitchen so I decide which goes where, only consult husband technical stuff like electrical stuff.

The golden triangle rule is good to know. But if you work systemetically in the kitchen, like taking all the things that needed for a meal from the fridge out to the preparation area next to the sink, then you might ignore the rule.

I think to cook @ the island then serve the food immediately to hungry souls right in front of you will be a good experience. Like you are in a teppanyaki restaurant. If have space, should really make this island a dining table as well.. ;)

Hi piknik,

I cook everyday in the evening after work just a small meal for me and hub,

I define it as heavy cooking, cos you know lah malay food, curry ..sambal etc.

and just as you mentioned, ... jackpot! Meals starts....from the fridge..then to sink ..then to the pot and hub carries it on his plate to the front of TV at the living room.. Duuhh!

Now this makes me think again , do i really need the dining area.. Hmmmm... :huh:

Yes.. for a moment i dream of the nice crystal beads dangling bling bling my whole dining area and make me smile then {{squashhh}} .... Waking up from the dream cos of the action movies from his star movies on the TV, very clear answer, i dont need the dining room. But with all that space.... Aiayaaaa it be nice to have one.

Maybe this island will work, on three area, sink, cook and dining area,

incase i have guest who might swing by for makan,

or maybe someday if i have kids, this would make for the perfect use as breakfast and dinner table. :D

Thanks for the suggestion.

Will share the outcome, hub say whatever makes me happy( but he makes me confuse for saying it's kinda weird to cook at the middle of kitchen) :rolleyes:

Edited by iamnorah

Hi, I would use the island either for sink or for food prep for the following reasons:

1. I hate to clean up oil splatters after cooking. At least with a backsplash, it's just wiping down the backsplash. If there isn't any backsplash, it'll probably mean wiping the floor? Lazy me can't imagine wiping the floor everyday (assuming cooking is an everyday affair).

2. Food prep can also be for baking, etc... just need to cater for power points for the mixer, etc. I kinda like the idea of playing with dough using the island.

3. Or a sink cos it means easy washing up, and convenient for guests to wash their hands, etc. Perhaps as a smaller, secondary sink rather than a primary one... (large industrial type sink at the wall). If u install a under sink water filter, then can locate the tap at the island for easy drinking water access.

But end of the day, it's really up to your preference. Agree that whoever uses the kitchen more should have the final say. :)

Some actual long islands for reference:

From: FXEA (LINK: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31090&st=0&p=540366entry540366)

no wait, the whole forum all agreed in unison that i must get this, isnt it?

IMG_5496.jpg

From: Little Modern Resort In Yishun (LINK: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20878&st=40)

Another view of the dining cum dry kitchen..

4659995603_7ea2b797a2_b.jpg

And the longest island of all I think...

From: Home Of The Blessed (LINK: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30758&st=40)

Wow... It's been 6 months already! We've moved in, settled down, and took our new place as our new base now. It's a real home now.

Anyway, in the last 6 months, we've gone out to buy furniture, decorations, and two weeks ago, finally put up our curtains. Good lord, I've no idea how I survived every morning with the Sun shining straight at my face! (Our MBR window faces east directly). Its a good natural alarm clock, but I think I've got an uneven tan now. HAHAHAHA.

Anyway, Pics Pics!

Our Kitchen is finally complete and we've done our all out cooking! In case you are wondering, no, I do not suffer from messy oily floors when I fry. (Well, I cheat a little as I do not deep fry)

IMG-20110411-00080.jpg

<i>Soft lights at night from the cove lighting make the kitchen a nice place to rest up after a long day at work</i>

IMG-20110411-00081.jpg

Nice big kitchen you will have. You can have a look at my house Reno then you will see my island. The island also is my dining table.... Very useful when family and friends come visiting.

Hi may_dream1,

Clck on your reno pics...

My jaw drop to see your bed.... So big sia :jawdrop:

Your long island... :dribble: my eye pop out

Your WIW...... my nose.... Is bleeding already... Cannot tahan ..to see the wonderful pictures.

Wait....I need to put everything together ... Left at page 1 of 43page.. To come back post this note :D

Thanks for sharing.

I'll be back after i read your adventure ! Ok bye...

As for hiding the beam at the kitchen after the wall is knocked down, I've seen quite a few examples but can't find them now, so these are the ones I was able to find:

Some cute (fake?) plants to hide the pipes etc:

P1100581.jpg

Or use the lower ceiling for practical use by installing shelves for glasses, canned food, etc (think can get from IKEA).

e.g.

modern-kitchen-cabinet-island-design-1.jpg

From: http://julianinterior.com/2009/02/modern-kitchen-setup-with-counter-top-island-cabinet/

Actually for my small counter, there is a beam directly above it. Initially we were quite worried about it but we don't even notice it now... so maybe yours won't look so bad too after you've had a look when the walls are hacked.

Curious tho, are you planning to combine any of the toilets for a bigger bathroom?

Hi, I would use the island either for sink or for food prep for the following reasons:

1. I hate to clean up oil splatters after cooking. At least with a backsplash, it's just wiping down the backsplash. If there isn't any backsplash, it'll probably mean wiping the floor? Lazy me can't imagine wiping the floor everyday (assuming cooking is an everyday affair).

2. Food prep can also be for baking, etc... just need to cater for power points for the mixer, etc. I kinda like the idea of playing with dough using the island.

3. Or a sink cos it means easy washing up, and convenient for guests to wash their hands, etc. Perhaps as a smaller, secondary sink rather than a primary one... (large industrial type sink at the wall). If u install a under sink water filter, then can locate the tap at the island for easy drinking water access.

But end of the day, it's really up to your preference. Agree that whoever uses the kitchen more should have the final say. :)

Some actual long islands for reference:

From: FXEA (LINK: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31090&st=0&p=540366entry540366)

From: Little Modern Resort In Yishun (LINK: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=20878&st=40)

And the longest island of all I think..

From: Home Of The Blessed (LINK: http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30758&st=40)

Hi adidaem,

Wow... Seriosly... WowwwwwWWW

The pictures are coming in !N Thank you so much!

I was having like ...eerrrr.... where the can i see pictures from actual HDB flat?

All i see was Landed property, inside showroom, inside magazine..also mostly showing Condo leh..., these doesn't count. They have high ceiling. cos mine is just a HDB flat.

I told my hub i need a big kitchen so i can build an island, a space i call my own cos everything else need to share. :yamseng:

These photos are so awesome and so beautiful!

Thank you.

I hope other forummers can share me their wonderful island kitchen in their HDB flat

And i am thankful for your kindness . This pictures inspired me to think positively and hopefully i can come to a decision.

Hi adidaem,

Wow... Seriosly... WowwwwwWWW

The pictures are coming in !N Thank you so much!

I was having like ...eerrrr.... where the can i see pictures from actual HDB flat?

All i see was Landed property, inside showroom, inside magazine..also mostly showing Condo leh..., these doesn't count. They have high ceiling. cos mine is just a HDB flat.

I told my hub i need a big kitchen so i can build an island, a space i call my own cos everything else need to share. :yamseng:

These photos are so awesome and so beautiful!

Thank you.

I hope other forummers can share me their wonderful island kitchen in their HDB flat

And i am thankful for your kindness . This pictures inspired me to think positively and hopefully i can come to a decision.

Welcome... I did do tonnes of research for my kitchen counter, no harm to spread the love lar... I also visited Maydream's place IRL and totally agree that it's a great hangout spot for gatherings. Too bad my place doesn't have space for a long counter, else I would surely do one. Mine is teeny tiny by comparison to the ones above, but I still love it cos it's mine mah. :P

Oki, on to my teeny tiny one...

kitchen-1.jpg

img_5420.jpg

kitchen-3.jpg

I picked these pics for perspective (so u can see the beam, drawers, etc). If you wanna see more you can visit here: http://emrenoblog.wordpress.com/category/kitchen/

Btw, try using Google to search thru the RT blogs. Much better than the weird search function provided in the forum. I usually click on 'Images' and start scrolling to see which ones catch my eye. Try a few catchphrases e.g. I like minimalist designs so using these phrases 'kitchen island counter design minimalist', I got these pics from the web: http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=kitchen+island+counter+design&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=K6_4TrTDB8nSrQe75rjkDw&biw=1440&bih=838&sei=La_4Tp6CCsuIrAf80fHpDw#um=1&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=kitchen+island+counter+design+minimalist&pbx=1&oq=kitchen+island+counter+design+minimalist&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=4333l6461l0l6826l11l11l0l10l0l0l94l94l1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=370b5a71136fd07b&biw=1440&bih=838

Some really gorgeous ones right?

As for hiding the beam at the kitchen after the wall is knocked down, I've seen quite a few examples but can't find them now, so these are the ones I was able to find:

Some cute (fake?) plants to hide the pipes etc:

P1100581.jpg

Or use the lower ceiling for practical use by installing shelves for glasses, canned food, etc (think can get from IKEA).

e.g.

modern-kitchen-cabinet-island-design-1.jpg

From: http://julianinterior.com/2009/02/modern-kitchen-setup-with-counter-top-island-cabinet/

Actually for my small counter, there is a beam directly above it. Initially we were quite worried about it but we don't even notice it now... so maybe yours won't look so bad too after you've had a look when the walls are hacked.

Curious tho, are you planning to combine any of the toilets for a bigger bathroom?

Adidaem,

The beam that making that is making me go crazy... i will do the yoga stance to absorb the bad aura and think of the beautiful things .. Thats coming my way.. Someday i belive as you say, it will go unnoticeable.

Now the toilet part.

Initially, i planned to just convert the other toilet to store.

But, this morning, i start to relook at the plan and decide something else.

The Left Masterbedroom is where i will be sleeping.

I planned to combined the toilet, and make as one dry for vanity area no door so aircon can flow in and the other as toilet+rainshower with glassdoor entrance. I was thinking of a nicely holloywood vanity top .. You know with the bulbs all around it, but it better be adjustable funtions lighting ones, if not, my makeup will melt if i stayed too long in there. Can plan and plan but whatever outcome again need to wait HDB approval. Very sian .. Like only thing i can do now it just dream lah... :sport-smiley-018:

I went to sneak peak your blog.

Wow.. Iam so inlove with the brightness and sleek looking place you got there.

I love EM but my hub not keen, we compromise, and i am happy with settled with this mini jumbo.

your kitchen is so adorable!! Peak-a boo Glass. Intersting concept. Can see who is at the door.

I also see that you placed your aircon near kitchen entrance.. But your kitchen is open concept...Hmmm

I will read if you have write anything on that, i might want to understand... Due to me having 2 living room,

The aircon installer is telling me to seal up all the rooms and kitchen for better and energy saving and install the higher BTU inverter.

Ok talk later. I hoped it to your blog first.. Bye!

Edited by iamnorah