Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
renotm

4A Resale... Somewhere North

Hi all,

I have been an avid follower of renotalk since last Oct, when I was getting ready to get a place of my own.

Initially started looking for 3.5rm corner unit around March this year, but as I was still not eligible :P to buy a unit by my own, I missed out 1-2 good units at great location (AMK). Since then, tough luck with 3.5rm corner unit on high floor. :(

Through the long months, I gradually changed my mind and started looking for 4rm corner, high floor, with the possibility that my family may want to move in with me in the future (thus needing a bigger place). After looking at no less than 20 units (mainly slight north, some NE), I finally found a place which I like a lot and with a COV which I feel is reasonable for the location (10min to mrt, mid point to my workplace and my parent place) and condition of the unit, especially on the same day I saw another 3 units of much worse conditions, asking the same amount or more! :jawdrop:

While this is technically a corridor unit, the fact that no windows is facing the corridor and being on the top floor, the windows are huge! I reckon ~1.5m tall. The unit is very bright and kind of unblocked. Loved it, and also brought my family to view it 2 more times. There are some likes and dislike, but overall consensus is it is a good buy.

So, placed the OTP and exercised a week later, now patiently waiting for the 1st appt early next month. :sport-smiley-018:

Since the owner is still staying in the apt, I can only show the original floorplan from HDB, the current floorplan and my initial idea on how I envision my place would be like for now. Definitely welcome any suggestion on how to make the place look cosy and nice. :help:

HDB original floorplan

HDBoriginalfloorplan.jpg

Current floorplan. Owner has the storeroom hacked, and the master room's door sealed and make it a walk in wardrode.

(showing the build-in fixtures)

HDBcurrentfloorplan.jpg

The unit is in pretty good shape, all bedrooms and living room are broken marble flooring. If I wasn't picky, I could have just move-in.

But since this is my first home (of my own), I will definitely want to do something to my liking. :P

Also I am planning for the possibility that my folks will later move-in with me (a few yrs later?), I planned to keep the 3 bedrooms as it is.

Therefore the walk-in wardrobe has to be converted back to a functioning bedroom.

I am currently planning to do the following:

1. Hack and re-tile the 2 bathrooms. Also open up an additional door from bedrm 3 to common toilet.

2. Revamp the kitchen, adding back the storeroom (needed to hide all the un-glam, big items)

3. Rewire the whole unit

4. Plaster and repaint the whole unit

5. New windows, all doors and main gate.

6. TV feature wall

7. Remove one side of the walk-in wardrobe to make space for bed. Still undecided if I should keep the L-shape wardrobe in the master rm. - Any suggestions?

8. Separate master room/bedrm 2 door (adding false wall?)

9. Bedrm 2, 3 and dining area still undecided. :dunno:

HDBproposedfloorplan1.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Welcome ~

U shape kitchen hmmm good idea ~ i love the breakfast counter~

Intended to do an Island...not scrap ..next Bar counter...guess i need to throw away that idea too as my kitchen is kind of small~

Happy planning renotm and keep us updates wit more pictures ya! :D

Welcome to renoblog!

I share yr excitement n looking forward to more updates!

Yr layout looks great too.

Thanks angelbutterfly!

I love reading your t-blog... so informative and lively! :good:

Will probably ask you for lots and lots of advices and recommendations when my reno date is closer. :P

Thanks in advance!!!

Welcome ~

U shape kitchen hmmm good idea ~ i love the breakfast counter~

Intended to do an Island...not scrap ..next Bar counter...guess i need to throw away that idea too as my kitchen is kind of small~

Happy planning renotm and keep us updates wit more pictures ya! :D

Thanks Terencetcw!

Yah... I like the idea that I can look out the "huge" windows while I do my dishes and/or enjoying my breakfast (or dinner!) in the kitchen. :sport-smiley-004:

I saw your t-blog too, think we have similar taste for the faucets... may I ask how much in total did you spend on all the faucets? :P

Thanks!

It's been a long while since I last update my t-blog. Went for my 1st appt on Dec 1, 2011... 2nd appt on Jan 12, 2012. However, as seller needs to extend their stay for 3 months due to their new place is not ready, so the renovation plan can only start mid-late April, 2012.

Nevertheless, I have started looking around for renovation ideas and began contacting several contractors (from the recommendation from fellow forumers (thank you all!)). A few got back to me with their initial quotes, but as my renovation will only start way after CNY, none have get back to me from the 2nd/revised quote yet.

So, while I patiently waiting for them to get back to me after their CNY break, I also went to Balestier Rd (many times), Jln Besar, and Expos (for the furniture/home living shows) to start getting some ideas about what/where to get my home appliances, sanitary wares and lightings.

So to cut the story short, the 1st 2 things I bought for my new place are... :sport-smiley-004:

1. Rinnai Hob RB-2CG & Hood RH991CT (@ $1088)

2. Two KDK Ventilation Fan 20-WUD (@ $65 ea)

I have been eyeing on the Rinnai Hob RB-2CG for the longest time, and the quote I got is the lowest I sourced. And from what the shop told me, that most appliances' prices will increase ~10-20% after CNY period, I decided to pay a deposit to reserve them first, since they allow delivery in April.

Edited by renotm

Hi, you said no window facing corridor right? Means bedroom 2 has no natural light source?

I like your spacious kitchen. The U shaped idea is really good.. ;)

As for price increment, I don't know leh. Sale persons said such things to me as well. Before CnY. But I asked my new neighbors, they all said it is supposed to drop as oil price is low, (i don't read news recently ah), and abundance of vessel in the regions will make goods more available than ever, transportation should be cheaper...

Hihi,

Got... the windows for bedrm 2 is on the left, in fact quite bright during the day. :)

Yeah, but the sales did say if the price drop (which he guarantee will not), he will drop the price when it's delivered. So I figure no loss for me. :D

Hi, you said no window facing corridor right? Means bedroom 2 has no natural light source?

I like your spacious kitchen. The U shaped idea is really good.. ;)

As for price increment, I don't know leh. Sale persons said such things to me as well. Before CnY. But I asked my new neighbors, they all said it is supposed to drop as oil price is low, (i don't read news recently ah), and abundance of vessel in the regions will make goods more available than ever, transportation should be cheaper...

I also didn't really care. Cos I don't like to be pressured into buying things without many days of serious consideration. Our hard earned money leh. Should be well-spent.

Yes, money hard to earn these days, so must consider long and seriously.

He also recommended some other appliances that I will need to buy for the new place (fridge, WM etc). Luckily I was rarely an impulsive buyer, I always (99.9% of the time) will research all pros and cons of each brand/model (and price of coz)... occupational habit I guess. :P I noted down all models and quotes but only paid a 30% deposit for these few items (which I have researched since my OTP).

Now starting to research Fridge (must be 4ticks), Front-loading WM, instant heater, air-con etc. Any good recommendation? :D

Hi Renotm,

Hello, me too ... Been waiting for my turn to get my own flat, and "seeing" so many nice units gone by yet can't buy (plus prices kept increasing!!!) :bangwall:

Now finally can start looking ...hopefully can get a reasonably nice unit (w/ not too ex COV) in the next coming mths ... then I will be able to start my t-blog too. Meanwhile will just hang ard learning and absorbing ideas from all e old birds first. :yamseng:

Hi PurpleFairy,

Welcome to Renotalk! :yamseng:

Yes, the "waiting" process can be :bangwall:. I came across 2 units that I really like but I can't buy due to timing :furious: and seeing the prices kept going up wasn't helping too.

But I think for your case, it may not be as bad as my time, as I already seeing the asking COV dropping over the last few months. So maybe it is a blessing in disguise for you.

So just keep looking... I looked at no less than 20-30 units before I found this one. ;)

Hi Renotm,

Hello, me too ... Been waiting for my turn to get my own flat, and "seeing" so many nice units gone by yet can't buy (plus prices kept increasing!!!) :bangwall:

Now finally can start looking ...hopefully can get a reasonably nice unit (w/ not too ex COV) in the next coming mths ... then I will be able to start my t-blog too. Meanwhile will just hang ard learning and absorbing ideas from all e old birds first. :yamseng:

Your layout is wonderful!! If I have yours, I can do many things..... Hope you will get a good contractor to do nicely for you.

I think we are all ard same age as we only eligible to buy recently. Except I went to appeal so I got mine earlier. 😉

I think we are all ard same age as we only eligible to buy recently. Except I went to appeal so I got mine earlier. 😉

Ya, true. Btw, May_dream1, I took ard 3-4days (less my beauty sleep, working hrs etc) to fin ur blog from pg 1-40+, and also read some of those renotalk friends of urs, like friends78 n her bro etc ... Really learn a lot from many T-bloggers in renotalk, be it ideas, lobangs on whr to source etc! Just wanna learn more n get myself ready when my reno time comes (haha haven't learn walk then run liao ~ haven't get e physical house, then orely jump to reno) :P